U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 AM

238 posts, read 138,275 times

Advertisements

I just teach an extra 1/2 hour piano lesson for $30.00 and I can wash my clothes in whatever and whenever I want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 03:35 PM

9,130 posts, read 3,948,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I find this thread disturbing.

You're not the only one. I've got more important things to do than to make my own detergent. I wait for a BOGO and buy two bottles of fragrance free All or Wisk (less suds) for $5.99. Lasts me for months. I hate the way the clothes feel if they are not put in the dryer. They wrinkle more and feel stiff especially towels. A person might save a little bit of money making their own but then you spend time ironing unless someone doesn't care about wrinkles. I, personally, won't wear wrinkled clothes so none of this would work for me. The only thing I used to hang outside to dry was my sheets. Everything else went in the dryer.

For you folks that are making your own soap and detergent and then only using detergent every few washes why are you doing this? For financial reasons? The environment? Do you have some sort of a contest going to see who can be the most frugal?

About 5 years ago I watched some TV show about the cheapest people in the country. One person would buy 2 ply toilet paper and then turn it into 1 ply so she had twice as much. Another wouldn't even buy toilet paper, she used cut up cloths that the she put in a container for wash day. Just ewwww! How is that saving money when you have to use hot water, bleach & detergent to get the germs & E.coli out of the cloths? It's one thing to be frugal but this woman was just plain gross. I can't imagine doing this unless I had some sort of a mental illness.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:38 PM

11,651 posts, read 5,503,968 times
I do wish they'd bring back the little cardboard carton refill packages. You just pour them into your existing plastic bottle instead of a new one - it's half the cost and also cuts way down on all those plastic bottles in the land-fills.

I bought one for Downy not too long ago so maybe if I look in a different stores I might find that again.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:47 PM

18,075 posts, read 17,208,003 times
I hated the expense of Tide Free and other fragrance free detergents so I finally started making my own. I've never used dryer sheets in my life--the smell! If you get headaches or coughing attacks from the scented junk, just use Borax, washing soda, and a bit of unscented detergent.

All I do it throw in some borax, a bit of washing soda, (and a bit of soap for hot water or a tiny bit of Woolite for cold water.) So there's no bother or wasted time mixing it beforehand.

I wash mostly in cold water to be gentle on the clothes so I use a tiny bit of Woolite along with the borax and washing soda.

Borax is amazing stuff. Look it up!

I dry things on drying racks outside or inside in wet or cold weather. The clothes can get ruined in the dryer but I will use it for towels at times.

In summer I love the luxury of being able to dry a few things outside in the sun. That's what really sanitizes them. All comforters get washed and then dried outside before being packed away for the summer. I do use the dryer for down filled pillows though--throw a sneaker in to bash the feathers around so they don't pack down.

I want CLEAN, meaning not coated with chemicals and penetrated with fake scents. Just CLEAN.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,006,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
It's been years since I did this but I used to wash my dishes with only water. Grease, everything came off. I use Dawn now though. the small 9 oz. bottle lasts at least a year, maybe longer.

I don't see how water only could possibly get your dishes clean, a plate that had a sandwich on it ok, a glass with OJ ok, but a skillet with scrambled eggs, lasagna pan etc. no way. Some things are worth the money and clean pots, pans and dishes fall into that category for me.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:58 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,006,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I find this thread disturbing.
I find it disgusting. I try to be frugal but it costs very little per load to use a good quality laundry soap or dish liquid.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:49 PM

1,572 posts, read 600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I don't see how water only could possibly get your dishes clean, a plate that had a sandwich on it ok, a glass with OJ ok, but a skillet with scrambled eggs, lasagna pan etc. no way. Some things are worth the money and clean pots, pans and dishes fall into that category for me.
At the time I had a cast iron skillet and I never used soap on that. I'd fry burgers in it mostly and all i would do is scrape it, let it soak in water, scrape some more and let it dry. I never got sick. I wasn't trying to be frugal, I can't remember why i started doing dishes like this but i did it for awhile.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 PM

18,075 posts, read 17,208,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I find it disgusting. I try to be frugal but it costs very little per load to use a good quality laundry soap or dish liquid.
There are plenty of reasons for using Borax. It whitens, softens water, removes soap residues, neutralizes odor (inhibits fungi, that musty odor), gets rid of ammonia odor on baby clothes, gets rid of body odor on clothing, it disinfects, increases the stain removal of your regular detergent.

https://www.thebalance.com/borax-lau...ooster-1387922

My clothes aren't really dirty so Borax and a tiny bit of Woolite does the trick. It's not only cheap but it does a better job than the expensive perfume free detergents I used to use. Lots of people don't like perfumy detergents but we have to pay more to get perfume-free. None of those expensive products did as well as Borax. I just use a tiny bit of Woolite or soap powder along with the Borax and it comes out very bright and clean--with no perfume or other odor either.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:04 AM

9,465 posts, read 15,050,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Yes you can. 3M hooks and string. DONE.

That builds up the humidity in your home....its gotta go somewhere

Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 AM

6,330 posts, read 8,014,820 times
Spend 1 hour learning about how to invest your $$$ in some good mutual funds. Take $100 - $1000 and invest then let it ride in a broad market fund. Add to the fund every month.

Then relax and you can purchase whatever detergent you want, with no worry about saving pennies, because you'll make enough to splurge on whatever detergent you want.

Penny-wise and pound foolish for sure. I'm frugal but not cheap and there is no way I would ever not use appropriate cleaning product(s) to save a little $.

Pro tip for rinse cycle of laundry: use some plain white vinegar and that will take away the need for fabric softeners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living