U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:45 PM

11,607 posts, read 5,449,768 times

Advertisements

Imagine going to a laundrymat and plunking down $2 or more for the washer and saying 'no' to the 8 cents for detergent. That makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 05:11 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I cut back on the amount of liquid detergent I use each time but I still use some. I've never used a dryer sheet but I've smelled them and don't like it! Static isn't a huge problem for me. Never used a fabric softener either. I totally missed the boat with laundry options
We do use dryer sheets, but I think we will give it up. All they do is get stuck in our clothes. As for fabric softener none in our house, but I am not about to wash my clothes or dishes without using some fresh detergent. Cutting back on the amount, that makes good sense.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:18 PM

11,607 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We do use dryer sheets, but I think we will give it up. All they do is get stuck in our clothes. As for fabric softener none in our house, but I am not about to wash my clothes or dishes without using some fresh detergent. Cutting back on the amount, that makes good sense.
Especially with HE washers. Due to this thread, and going to look at the bottle to do the math, I've been using too much. I remembered wrongly to what line to fill. Clothes came out really clean with the lesser amount.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:39 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Especially with HE washers. Due to this thread, and going to look at the bottle to do the math, I've been using too much. I remembered wrongly to what line to fill. Clothes came out really clean with the lesser amount.
I pretty much did the same thing; checked out level to use. Also, I know some people use less water than others; hubby actually does our laundry most of the time, so i think I might suggest to him he use a little less.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:58 PM

9,322 posts, read 11,242,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
I've been skipping detergent every third tme or so with my clothes in the washer because there is usually enough residue in them that it still suds up and they still get pretty clean.

Just use a pre-treater (or carpet cleaner or upholstry cleaner) on the armpit parts and other gross sweaty areas of your clothes and add spme baking soda and maybe distilled white vinegar to it and it does just fine.

You can also put a small squirt of dish liquid in there, but very little. Like maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon.

i also cut dryer sheets in half.

I do the same thing for dishes in the dish washer on occasion. Two small drops of dish liquid with baking soda and salt in the resovoir along with some vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher gets most dishes just as clean as detergents do. Very greasy dishes and pans I do by hand anyway.

Baking soda and distilled white vinegar is what you use to clean your washer and dishwasher anyway so using that on occasion also keeps your machines clean and gets rid of a lot of soap and grease residue.

You can also wash clean clothes, especially towels, with that mixture to refresh and soften them because it strips away all the built up fabric softener from most fabric.

Couple of tips: Take your clothes out of the dryer, hang the shirts on a hanger and hang them on your shower rod. No need for dryers, coins, or wrinkles.

The cost of liquid soap is pretty cheap now. You can get Ajax, a decent size jug of soap for around $1.99 at Wal-mart. I won't skimp on soap. The soap removes stains, odors and bacteria. I would not cut my soap use-age in half. I would add the normal amount as per the amount of clothing being washed. Dryer sheets I use but I get a good deal on those. You can get a box of those for $1.00. One sheet per load.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:11 PM

886 posts, read 355,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I don't see how water only could possibly get your dishes clean, a plate that had a sandwich on it ok, a glass with OJ ok, but a skillet with scrambled eggs, lasagna pan etc. no way. Some things are worth the money and clean pots, pans and dishes fall into that category for me.
I agree. Even if there is no longer any visible food on it, I still would never want to use a plate, bowl, or fork that someone else used but which had not gotten washed with soap.

I like saving money but as you said, some things are worth the money. I'd rather cut back on how much soap/detergent I use but not cut OUT.

And if using less detergent doesn't save me enough money, then I'd rather go on a cheaper cell phone plan or give up my cable. But to simply use water on my body, my clothes, or my dishes instead of soap?! Heck no!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Go to the 99centsOnly Store there in Phoenix. Awesome laundry detergent is $1 for a bottle that will do 32+ loads. And it is good stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living