Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:20 PM

182 posts, read 264,216 times

Advertisements

I've been skipping detergent every third tme or so with my clothes in the washer because there is usually enough residue in them that it still suds up and they still get pretty clean.

Just use a pre-treater (or carpet cleaner or upholstry cleaner) on the armpit parts and other gross sweaty areas of your clothes and add spme baking soda and maybe distilled white vinegar to it and it does just fine.

You can also put a small squirt of dish liquid in there, but very little. Like maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon.

i also cut dryer sheets in half.

I do the same thing for dishes in the dish washer on occasion. Two small drops of dish liquid with baking soda and salt in the resovoir along with some vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher gets most dishes just as clean as detergents do. Very greasy dishes and pans I do by hand anyway.

Baking soda and distilled white vinegar is what you use to clean your washer and dishwasher anyway so using that on occasion also keeps your machines clean and gets rid of a lot of soap and grease residue.

You can also wash clean clothes, especially towels, with that mixture to refresh and soften them because it strips away all the built up fabric softener from most fabric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 06:57 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Since clothes usually cost more than laundry detergent, it doesn't make sense to skimp on detergent, especially if there are "gross, sweaty areas" of the clothes. Over time the odor will build up and you'll end up having to replace the clothing sooner than you would otherwise.

You shouldn't use fabric softener with towels because it decreases their absorbency.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:30 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
The only time I use dryer sheets is when I'm trying to get pet fur out of a blanket the cats like to nap on. (The dryer sheet does really help with that) I think I've had the same box for about 7 years at this point.

I have one of those fussy German dishwashers that really does require you to follow instructions in order to get everything clean and dried properly. Follow exactly and you get excellent results. Mess around and not so much.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
I've been skipping detergent every third tme or so with my clothes in the washer because there is usually enough residue in them that it still suds up and they still get pretty clean.
A better idea would be to use LESS detergent, so that you have NO residue.
And to use the detergent with every load to get your clothes cleaner than "pretty clean".

Old 01-23-2017, 09:23 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Penny wise. Pound foolish.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A better idea would be to use LESS detergent, so that you have NO residue.
And to use the detergent with every load to get your clothes cleaner than "pretty clean".
I agree with this ^^^^^ No point in going through the motions without soap. Soap helps dissolve soil and oils away from the fabric. I am surprised that you use a dryer instead of line drying. Dryers are very hard on clothes, not just the tumbling but the heat. If you don't like stiff clothes, tumble after line drying without heat for a few minutes

Last edited by skugelstadt; 01-23-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-24-2017, 01:29 AM

182 posts, read 264,216 times
I'd been using those Tide pods but when I run out I will go to liquid and just use less. I'd read somewhere that for most loads people use 4 times what they really need.

I'm in an apartment and can't use a clothesline though.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:19 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I cut back on the amount of liquid detergent I use each time but I still use some. I've never used a dryer sheet but I've smelled them and don't like it! Static isn't a huge problem for me. Never used a fabric softener either. I totally missed the boat with laundry options

Old 01-24-2017, 02:25 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
I'd been using those Tide pods but when I run out I will go to liquid and just use less. I'd read somewhere that for most loads people use 4 times what they really need.

I'm in an apartment and can't use a clothesline though.
Yes you can. 3M hooks and string. DONE.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living