U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:47 AM

525 posts, read 264,109 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier about my trouble with trying to find cheaper housing close to the city that I am employed in and will eventually be starting school. I recently found out that almost everything is income restricted. I made too much for the apartments and too less for the mobile home. Me and my boyfriend decided to just stay in the city we are in now and commute. The drive time is approx 45 to 48 mins. We went online and drove around to some of the homes that we saw posted for rent on Zillows. One of the homes is a 2 bedroom 2 bath duplex for 700 a month and is 38 mins away from the town where my boyfriend and me work. The other choice is much cheaper. It is 500 a month one bedroom apartment in a cozy and quiet area. The apartment is 44 mins away from place of work. What would be a good choice? Our income combined is a little over 1,900 a month. The one that is expensive but much closer or the one that is less expensive and not closer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:04 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
So one is 6 minutes closer to your work? Unless it's a typo, it seems like it would be worth driving an extra 12 minutes a day (6 each way) to save $200/month. You should also look at what stores and restaurants are around the neighborhood, since you'll end up doing more driving if your favorite places are far.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
So one is 6 minutes closer to your work? Unless it's a typo, it seems like it would be worth driving an extra 12 minutes a day (6 each way) to save $200/month. You should also look at what stores and restaurants are around the neighborhood, since you'll end up doing more driving if your favorite places are far.
The duplex is 38 mins away and the apartment is 45 mins away from where I work. The apartment is located next door to walmart and another grocery store I enjoy shopping at

Old 01-23-2017, 08:21 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,641,512 times
Frankly, this seems like a no-brainer to me. I drove 45 minutes one-way to work for over 20 years, since I live in a semi-rural area. I still drive 45 minutes to the doctor's office or major shopping at age 66. You're (presumably) young. Since the apartment is cheaper and located right next to shopping that you like, that should be your choice, as long as you and your bf can tolerate the smaller living space well. It's nice to have more disposable income left over, and you could always save up for a bigger space later, right?

Old 01-23-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Frankly, this seems like a no-brainer to me. I drove 45 minutes one-way to work for over 20 years, since I live in a semi-rural area. I still drive 45 minutes to the doctor's office or major shopping at age 66. You're (presumably) young. Since the apartment is cheaper and located right next to shopping that you like, that should be your choice, as long as you and your bf can tolerate the smaller living space well. It's nice to have more disposable income left over, and you could always save up for a bigger space later, right?
The downside is that the classes that are starting in August times are from 6 pm - 9 pm every day. I would then have to wake up for work the next day after and repeat. I work from 8 am-5 pm M-F

Old 01-23-2017, 10:19 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
I'd rather live in a place I like regardless of the cost of living, but acknowledge that I might have to make some concessions based on whether or not I can make a living in a given area.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 AM

1,066 posts, read 705,752 times
There are really 3 factors you need to look at COST,TIME and LIFESTYLE. We had a beautiful town home that was costing us $2,400 a month with a 45 min train ride to the city and a commute cost of about $500. To get something even remotely comparable right near the city would have been $3,200 at least, and still come with a minimum 20 minute commute at $200 a month. For us the extra 25 mins each way and $500 month savings were well worth it because being 45 mins away from the city gave us a yard, grocery stores that weren't crowded, and just an overall more favorable lifestyle.

Now mind you.. even just 25 extra minutes each way is an extra 16 hours a month. So if you feel your time is worth $50+hr then maybe its not worth it to you. Personally, we don't mind commuting, and on a train it's still probably 50% your personal time anyway.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
There are really 3 factors you need to look at COST,TIME and LIFESTYLE. We had a beautiful town home that was costing us $2,400 a month with a 45 min train ride to the city and a commute cost of about $500. To get something even remotely comparable right near the city would have been $3,200 at least, and still come with a minimum 20 minute commute at $200 a month. For us the extra 25 mins each way and $500 month savings were well worth it because being 45 mins away from the city gave us a yard, grocery stores that weren't crowded, and just an overall more favorable lifestyle.

Now mind you.. even just 25 extra minutes each way is an extra 16 hours a month. So if you feel your time is worth $50+hr then maybe its not worth it to you. Personally, we don't mind commuting, and on a train it's still probably 50% your personal time anyway.

The money for my commute is not near as expensive. I live in a mid size town or city in south GA. there is no trains systems only taxi and bus, but majority use cars and drive. I spend a total of 35 or maybe 40 on gas a week.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:57 PM

28,146 posts, read 2,192,400 times
I would go for the cheaper option, but that is just me. If I was saving a half hour each way, maybe more rent would be worth it, but for a minimal amount of time ( 12 minutes) it hardly seems worth the extra $200. Why don't you think of that extra $200 as rent money & save it up in a separate account, for your next home. After 2 years you would have $4800 in savings.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I would go for the cheaper option, but that is just me. If I was saving a half hour each way, maybe more rent would be worth it, but for a minimal amount of time ( 12 minutes) it hardly seems worth the extra $200. Why don't you think of that extra $200 as rent money & save it up in a separate account, for your next home. After 2 years you would have $4800 in savings.
great Idea. I make 985 and my boyfriend only makes 300 every two weeks. We are young and just getting established. I am 24 and he too is the same age. I pay rent while he builds savings, gas, and food. He's in the process of find a new position and going to GED classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or