U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:40 AM

3,165 posts, read 2,895,274 times

Advertisements

OP - This is what you said your bills were monthly:

Rent: $772 ($745+$27)
Car note: $259
Electricity bill: $100 ranges from 60-100 each month
Cable: $124 each month
Phone Bill: $60 a month
food: $150 (100-150 every other month)

Your take home salary is $985+$985 = $1970

Budget it like this:

Paycheck #1 ($985):

Rent: $386 ($599)
Car: $129.50 ($469.50)
Electricity: $50 ($419.50)
Cable: $62 ($357.50)
Food: $75 ($282.50)

Total left: $282.50

Paycheck #2 ($985)

Rent: $386 ($599)
Car: $129.50 ($469.50)
Electricity: $50 ($419.50)
Cable: $62 ($357.50)
Food: $75 ($282.50)

Total left: $282.50

Plus you have your boyfriend's $200 a month which is $800 a month. You say that his check goes for gas and food. If you split your bills in half and pay some out of each paycheck like shown above you could put away $75 for food each paycheck plus some gas money. You could actually save some of his paycheck for emergencies like the ER visit. Where is your money going OP? If you were going 50 mph in a school zone that is a reckless driving ticket. That ticket will cost you a lot more than $450.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:41 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,003,283 times
Until she is willing to change her spending habits all the advice in the world is going to fall on deaf ears. She started this post to vent maybe get a little bit of sympathy etc. not for any real suggestions.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:10 AM

3,266 posts, read 2,336,935 times
When is your lease up on your current apartment? If you leave before the lease is up, what extra fees will you need to pay? Will you get a security deposit back? What sort of deposit is required at the lower priced apartment you want to move to? You need to figure out how to budget this move.

Also, why do you want to move to a retirement community?

What about your insurance payments? Car, rental, life? You say you can't afford health insurance, so that means you have medical bills (the ER payment plan) and will have to pay the IRS penalty when you file your taxes.

Do you have any credit card debt or student loans? And won't you need to save up money for his schooling?

I agree you should cut the cable immediately, it would be good for you to give up a tv show addiction. Both of you should work a second job.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:05 AM

64,532 posts, read 66,100,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Hi, you all.. I am so depressed right now. I literally have no money and me and my boyfriend is currently living paycheck to paycheck. I am 24 and currently teach Pre K and I have a degree in sociology and anthropology. My boyfriend who is also 24 does maintenance and is enrolled in GED classes. He eventually wants to go to school for auto engineering after he finishes GED school. My boyfriend is currently sick with diarrhea. We to the emergency room yesterday night. To make a long story short, we could not afford all of the medicine for him. The total cost was 43$. I felt so embarrassed and hurt that we could not afford just 43 dollars worth of pills. We ended up pay for just for one of the meds and not the other one. I have 0.00 dollars in my account and 0.00 dollars in my savings. My boyfriend only has 20.00 bucks. This isn't the first time this has happened. I was sick and had to go to the hospital. I was prescribed medicine that cost only 20 bucks and I could not afford them. My boyfriend has also missed work all this week so he will not get a paycheck this week. Health insurance is too expensive. I get paid on the 7th and I am not sure how to survive until them. We usually rely on his income to hold us through the weekend.

Not only is health insurance is high, but my rent is too. I get paid on the 7th and my rent is due on the first. My rent for a one bedroom is 745+27 and it is 100 dollars each day it is late. I am hoping that the landlord work something out so that we can pay all of the rent. I am planning on moving to a cheaper spot that only wants 550 for a one bedroom where the land lord is willing to work with me on my pay period.

I also in the process of earning another degree and right now I do not think I can go any further. I feel like giving up. We can not get government assistance because we do not have any kids. I make too much for HUD and EBT. My boyfriend is going to try to get EBT to help us out with groceries.

We are also getting engaged and our photos have to be pushed back to where we can afford them. The ring is inexpensive but it is fine.

I am in tears and do not know if I can make it. I feel all alone. My boyfriend is planning on asking his mom for help and I really oppose of that because I do not like asking for hand outs. Not even from my own family.
when it comes to choosing a career path ,we have to forget our passions . we need to do the things that others can't or won't do for themselves that have demand .

the guy who took care of our septic system when we had our pa house had a grade school education and owns a fleet of 9 trucks today .

it takes a lot of thought and creativity to come up with a solid career path , not a piece of paper from a school

Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
You don't need photos or engagement ring. If you can't afford medication why on earth would you waste money on frivolous stuff like that.
I totally agree: I can't quite figure out her reasoning.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:26 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Hi, you all.. I am so depressed right now. I literally have no money and me and my boyfriend is currently living paycheck to paycheck. I am 24 and currently teach Pre K and I have a degree in sociology and anthropology. My boyfriend who is also 24 does maintenance and is enrolled in GED classes. He eventually wants to go to school for auto engineering after he finishes GED school. My boyfriend is currently sick with diarrhea. We to the emergency room yesterday night. To make a long story short, we could not afford all of the medicine for him. The total cost was 43$. I felt so embarrassed and hurt that we could not afford just 43 dollars worth of pills. We ended up pay for just for one of the meds and not the other one. I have 0.00 dollars in my account and 0.00 dollars in my savings. My boyfriend only has 20.00 bucks. This isn't the first time this has happened. I was sick and had to go to the hospital. I was prescribed medicine that cost only 20 bucks and I could not afford them. My boyfriend has also missed work all this week so he will not get a paycheck this week. Health insurance is too expensive. I get paid on the 7th and I am not sure how to survive until them. We usually rely on his income to hold us through the weekend.

Not only is health insurance is high, but my rent is too. I get paid on the 7th and my rent is due on the first. My rent for a one bedroom is 745+27 and it is 100 dollars each day it is late. I am hoping that the landlord work something out so that we can pay all of the rent. I am planning on moving to a cheaper spot that only wants 550 for a one bedroom where the land lord is willing to work with me on my pay period.

I also in the process of earning another degree and right now I do not think I can go any further. I feel like giving up. We can not get government assistance because we do not have any kids. I make too much for HUD and EBT. My boyfriend is going to try to get EBT to help us out with groceries.

We are also getting engaged and our photos have to be pushed back to where we can afford them. The ring is inexpensive but it is fine.

I am in tears and do not know if I can make it. I feel all alone. My boyfriend is planning on asking his mom for help and I really oppose of that because I do not like asking for hand outs. Not even from my own family.
It is getting a little confusing trying to follow your psots based on a couple other similar stories you posted back a week or so ago: One says utilities are including in your rent; how you say they are not; one says you quit teaching pre K because you didn't like the job, it wasn't a good fit: now you mention being a Pre K teacher. I may be the only one that doesn't really understand your posts, or am I missing something here?

Old 01-27-2017, 08:56 AM

122 posts, read 96,513 times
While rent can always be cheaper with your combined income, the $772 rent isn't only manageable, it is actually below the "1/3 rule" of your income $772 x 3 = $2316.

Your combined income of $2800+ monthly exceeds that.

If you're able to find cheaper rent great, but would the two of you be able to budget any better?

You now get paid on the 7th of each month but that doesn't prevent you from paying ahead 1 full month or "half" the month. My nephew had to do this very thing his first month of rent, he paid an extra "half" rent so he would be on time from there on out due to how his 3 paychecks fall each month. His landlord has zero issues with it.

Based on the numbers you provided the 2 of you should actually have enough for your bills. I am actually including your cable bill since you consider the $1,400+ that goes to TV a year to be a priority.

Your BF making only $200 per week means one of two things: a) he isn't working 40 hours per week or b) he isn't getting paid minimum wage. Either scenario should be unacceptable, especially as someone who is attempting to marry someone (not to mention criminal baggage that already has financial implications at $120 per month so far). Even with him going to school, he should still be capable of working 40 hours a week. Even if with his criminal background he should be able to get hired at a fast food place (or two) to combine for full time.

1970 Your monthly income
0866 your BF's monthly income
-772 rent (does this include renters insurance?)
-259 car note (does this include insurance?)
-150 food (I assumed you meant monthly and not every other month)
-100 electric bill (you really should double check your bill because this seems high for a 1 bedroom apt)
-124 cable (does this include internet?)
-060 Phone (assuming it's your cell)
-120 BF criminal/judiciary obligations

2836 combined monthly income
-1585 expenses listed
$1251.00 Left Over!!!!!!

-TBD Health Insurance
-TBD Fuel
-TBD Rainy Day/Emergency Fund (I typically suggest 20% of income)

I really think you're are able to manage this. I counsel low income students all the time, especially ones that are in college, working low wage jobs, and trying to balance school, work, social life, family, etc.

If both your parents are able to swing it, I'd get a loan for 2 months worth of expenses from them (half your parents, half his). Many of their parents aren't but that's a separate topic.

I'd catch everything up and then budget money so that everything would be paid on time/advance from there on out.

With the extra $1250 per month left over I'd pay $200 to both sets of parents (-$400 monthly) for the next 8 months and then an extra $160 as a thank you for the loan.

If you find you didn't even miss that $400 per month you could invest it and make due with the $850+ remaining.

While you have been an adult for 6 years now, sometimes you just have to ask for help. If you're not afraid to get food stamps (EBT) then I would imagine you shouldn't be too prideful to get help from the people who gave you life.

Even if there are some expenses you forgot to add, with over $1200 extra per month, you should still have something left over for the month for something like $43 of meds.

Good luck, at 24 you have your whole life ahead of you and hopefully you don't dig your own (financial and mental) hole due to lack of discipline, foresight, and humility.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,474,966 times
^^^OP, take a look at the suggested budget above. It's very doable. You're leaking money somewhere. Why not consider using a tool like Mint or You Need A Budget (or if you want to be low-tech, a basic checkbook register) to track your expenses? You can't fix your budget woes until you know exactly where your money is going!

Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 AM

5,470 posts, read 8,160,530 times
Quote:
Exacty I am very busy!. I mean that the shoes that I love to watch only comes on on certain days of the week.
Quote:
i wanted to tutor in weekends. I put out advertisements but no one responded

Is anyone else looking at the MANY basic spelling errors (and my spelling is TERRIBLE, so if I notice it....) And thinking "Nigerian scam"!?!

Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 AM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Until she is willing to change her spending habits all the advice in the world is going to fall on deaf ears. She started this post to vent maybe get a little bit of sympathy etc. not for any real suggestions.
She needs to rethink this whole boyfriend thing too - criminal record, bringing in $200 a month? What the heck.

We are totally wasting our time trying to reason with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or