U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 07:48 PM

24,694 posts, read 26,777,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
I do not think that you guys are getting the big picture.

When Cable bill, Electricity bill, and Car note comes along I have enough to pay all three bills and to splurge or grocery shop. However after grocery shopping, we have nothing left for savings. 2 weeks later rent is due. I would also like to add that I am no longer getting paid on the first. I am paid on the 7th of every month, and the apartment complex charge 100 each day for late rent. I will be paying over 1000 in rent next week. I need to move!

The woman at the cheaper place is willing to work with me on rent and pay periods. The place does not have any expensive amenities. It is a quiet retirement community. I think I will like it.
We think you're the one who's not getting it. Cheaper rent is great. But as others have said, that's not the only thing that needs to go. If you are living this close to the edge where a change in pay date by a few days means you're paying rent late, then you need to cut expenses in other areas as well as increase income.

You're not really treating your financial situation like the emergency it is. Yes, you're making some efforts, but are not going far enough.

The picture we're getting of you is of someone who isn't particularly conscientious. Here are the clues:

--Bad spelling and grammar from someone who's a teacher.
--Boyfriend with criminal past.
--Living pretty much payday to payday to the point where getting paid on the 7th means you pay rent late because you cut things too close.
--Gets a speeding ticket for going 50 in a school zone. Hey, I get it--nobody's perfect...but I wonder what the speed limit is when school isn't in session? I doubt it's 50.

Any one of these items could be written off as bad luck or a one time thing....but when they start piling up, then it looks like a pattern of being sloppy. People who have messed up financial lives often are often messed up in other areas of their lives, too.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-27-2017 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 08:21 PM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
I'm dying to know the TV program that is worth $128/month.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm dying to know the TV program that is worth $128/month.
Seriously I love TV and I need to know what this amazing show is!

Old 01-27-2017, 08:52 PM

291 posts, read 131,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We think you're the one who's not getting it. Cheaper rent is great. But as others have said, that's not the only thing that needs to go. If you are living this close to the edge where a change in pay date by a few days means you're paying rent late, then you need to cut expenses in other areas as well as increase income.

You're not really treating your financial situation like the emergency it is. Yes, you're making some efforts, but are not going far enough.

The picture we're getting of you is of someone who isn't particularly conscientious. Here are the clues:

--Bad spelling and grammar from someone who's a teacher.
--Boyfriend with criminal past.
--Living pretty much payday to payday to the point where getting paid on the 7th means you pay rent late because you cut things too close.
--Gets a speeding ticket for going 50 in a school zone. Hey, I get it--nobody's perfect...but I wonder what the speed limit is when school isn't in session? I doubt it's 50.

Any one of these items could be written off as bad luck or a one time thing....but when they start piling up, then it looks like a pattern of being sloppy. People who have messed up financial lives often are often messed up in other areas of their lives, too.
I mean this as no disrespect to you or anyone who's commented in this thread. The OP is NOT a teacher, they have no certification, they are a daycare employee.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:56 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,181,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I pay more in federal income tax than my gf GROSSES in a year. She is very loving, and has a decent job, just not one as good as mine as she only has low level skills and a HS diploma. But I too sometimes get tired of the burden. It's nice for her to be able to brag to her friends about my financial success and be able to lean on me, but I can't lean on her. Her take home pay wouldn't even pay the mortgage on ONE of my houses.

The sad part is for almost 6 years I've given her advice, paid most of the bills, and put her on a path to financial success and education. She just likes to sit and watch lifetime movies all day. Sometimes I wonder if I should get a more financially capable and driven gf, sigh.
LOL .. careful not to hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 PM
BMI

6,512 posts, read 3,785,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Get rid of the car payment (sell and purchase used car with money on hand) and completely drop cable $124/month for cable is insane. You can't even pay rent yet have CABLE. Good lord.

Prepaid cell phones can be had for around $10-$15/month on Tracfone. That would save another $50/month.

Right there is $433/month in savings which is over $5,000 a year.

You're not broke you've overextended yourself.
Agree, cut the cable and get minimal prepaid cell phone coverage.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:39 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,181,106 times
I am not gonna jump in on the tough love, but I did have to chuckle a bit when you said... "the wedding ring is expensive, but that's ok.)

Old 01-27-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Agree, cut the cable and get minimal prepaid cell phone coverage.
I agree too, but we're at an even more basic level than that of budgeting. She thinks apartment complexes are supposed to accept payment when she gets paid, instead of on their due date.

There is apparently -0- ability to see ahead. If she cancelled cable, which obviously she should, that wouldn't mean she'd pay rent on time! She'd still pay $100 daily late fees. Because ... IDK what to call that.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:00 PM

24,694 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy01 View Post
I mean this as no disrespect to you or anyone who's commented in this thread. The OP is NOT a teacher, they have no certification, they are a daycare employee.
Ok, got it. It only strengthens the case for skipping the non-necessities until you have at least a month or two's worth of living expenses saved up.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:34 AM

69,258 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Sorry that was a typo. I was on my phone and at work when I written this post, and I was not paying attention to my grammar! lol!.

What do you mean only include my salary
Is this the reason you make so many errors, you are on your phone, trying to use your computer when you are teaching pre school? Very interesting.

You mentioned in one of your posts: you think you will move into an building that is in a retirement community; I am surprised you would even be looking at such arrangements when to live a senior community you have to be 55 or older? aeesenior u t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or