U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 AM

525 posts, read 265,347 times

Advertisements

Saving money= moving out. I went to the apartment today and viewed the grounds. Yes they are a little older but are appropriate for living. The landlord told me that electricity for their one bedroom only ranges in 50-80. That's lesser compared to the 100 we pay every month for electricity.
Also no stairs nor loud people

Old 01-28-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Ms. Curious, you might be right that a lot of us are boomers, I am. But a lot of us started from the bottom too. You are not making sound financial decisions and you ignore helpful advice from the very people that blazed the same trail you find yourself on.

The schools you attended did a tremendous disservice to you. I don't know what your situation was but I think you will continually have employment issues despite your degree. It seems no one along the line demanded that you understand English, finance, reasoning, or simple arithmetic as you kept getting promoted to the next grade. You probably are not stupid but you come across as very uneducated. This will not help you. The fault is likely with the schools you attended, especially your high school and college. These schools let you down.
I was not let down. I just do not want to be paying almost 1000 in rent for a one bedroom. I am far from uneducated.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,490,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
I was not let down. I just do not want to be paying almost 1000 in rent for a one bedroom. I am far from uneducated.
You're right; my mistake. I apologize.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:07 AM

375 posts, read 208,474 times
CollegeCurious, when you posted, were you looking for sympathy, advice, or maybe to find others in the same type of situation? If you were looking for advice, you have received that. If you want to read on, I'll offer some more.

It is important for you to look at your finances as monthly. Lump your income and expenses together as monthly earnings and bills. You can't be thinking paycheck to paycheck because, as you've seen, you won't have the necessary money to pay bills that way.

Make a budget where you list all of your monthly income and monthly expenses. You may have to go the old-time route of putting the money aside in separate envelopes every month, i.e., "rent", "utilities", "food", "insurance", "savings", etc. Use that money ONLY for the purpose intended -- no dipping into other envelopes.

It is easy for an outsider to see that you are having a hard time separating "needs" and "wants". You have to pay for the "needs" first, and if you have money left over, then pay for the "wants". Even a wedding ring is a "want". You said you want to be adult about your finances, and this is the first thing an adult has to conquer to be financially stable. It's tough, I know, especially since it seems to be totally alien to how you think about money. If you don't want to give up some things, at least find cheaper alternatives. It is surprising how saving a little here and there will add up.

You seem to want to blame certain things for your money problems. Be careful not to get into the mindset of "if only I had cheaper rent, I'd have no money worries." It doesn't work that way. Money problems are caused by bad money management, plain and simple.

On a personal note, if you were my daughter, I'd tell you to be absolutely sure you want to get married at such a young age. I'd also say to lighten your foot on the gas pedal, and I hope you learned an important lesson with that speeding ticket. Set goals and find a way to achieve them. Earning teaching certification is a fine goal, and I hope you are able to do that. I'll offer one last word of advice to say that even though these are informal message boards, always try to write well. If you get into that habit at your young age, it will serve you well all of your life. Nowadays, it is especially important if you are on social media that potential employers may read.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:25 AM

4,137 posts, read 1,732,959 times
I am much younger than a boomer. You are full of excuses. You're 24 not 17. Just stop.

And those boomers you blasted? LMAO. YOU ARE GOING TO LIVE WITH THEM IN A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY BECAUSE YOU ARE DESPERATE. GOD HELP THEM DEALING WITH YOU AND YOUR WINNER BOYFRIEND.

You are bound to be broke forever if you keep blaming everyone else, the economy, jobs, the President, education....

YOU are in this situation because of YOU. Get off the damn internet, stop wasting money, get 9 jobs if you have to...

YOU ARE BROKE & you won't go without tv? Bwahahaha. Stop calling others pathetic.

Deal with it.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:50 AM

3,484 posts, read 1,995,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I am much younger than a boomer. You are full of excuses. You're 24 not 17. Just stop.

And those boomers you blasted? LMAO. YOU ARE GOING TO LIVE WITH THEM IN A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY BECAUSE YOU ARE DESPERATE. GOD HELP THEM DEALING WITH YOU AND YOUR WINNER BOYFRIEND.

You are bound to be broke forever if you keep blaming everyone else, the economy, jobs, the President, education....

YOU are in this situation because of YOU. Get off the damn internet, stop wasting money, get 9 jobs if you have to...

YOU ARE BROKE & you won't go without tv? Bwahahaha. Stop calling others pathetic.

Deal with it.
AMEN!

I have ALWAYS worked at least two Jobs during my working career except when I was out of work and homeless literally living under a bridge.

Even then, with a helping hand of a short stint on welfare, I pulled up by my bootstraps and vowed NEVER AGAIN. And went out and got two more jobs.

Even now, in my fifties, I am looking for a second income.

My best friend's brother just got of living homeless in his van wiht his GF, nad is having trouble adapting, but is adjusting to now having a home again! HE HAS NO TV, NO FURNITURE, Limited cooking utensils provided by my best friend's cast offs, but is WORKING AT IT.

You can CRY OVER SPILT MILK, or figure out HOW to get together the money and GO OUT AND BUY A NEW BOTTLE OF MILK!

Old 01-28-2017, 11:54 AM

3,200 posts, read 9,249,894 times
I'm not a boomer, but I'm older than you. I'm in my young 30s. I was broke too. And you know what... I went without cable. I drove a junk car. I had a FAKE diamond engagement ring because I had priorities. I racked up debt. I lived on the edge. But, it got better. I budgeted, and I made better decisions to SPEND WITHIN my budget. It sounds like you're making great strides in downsizing your apartment, but is your lease up? If not, you may incur fees you weren't planning on.

Good luck. You've received a lot of advice from people here who have dug themselves out of the situation you're in. Take the advice.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm not a boomer, but I'm older than you. I'm in my young 30s. I was broke too. And you know what... I went without cable. I drove a junk car. I had a FAKE diamond engagement ring because I had priorities. I racked up debt. I lived on the edge. But, it got better. I budgeted, and I made better decisions to SPEND WITHIN my budget. It sounds like you're making great strides in downsizing your apartment, but is your lease up? If not, you may incur fees you weren't planning on.

Good luck. You've received a lot of advice from people here who have dug themselves out of the situation you're in. Take the advice.
My engagement ring is also FAKE do not assume. My fiance paid less for that than anything.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

Deal with it.
If I cut cable I will only be saving 124 dollars. If I move I will save over 400 dollars every first of the month after rent is paid. I would also like to add the place is not exactly a retirement community, but just more older people live their

Old 01-28-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
AMEN!

I have ALWAYS worked at least two Jobs during my working career except when I was out of work and homeless literally living under a bridge.

Even then, with a helping hand of a short stint on welfare, I pulled up by my bootstraps and vowed NEVER AGAIN. And went out and got two more jobs.

Even now, in my fifties, I am looking for a second income.

My best friend's brother just got of living homeless in his van wiht his GF, nad is having trouble adapting, but is adjusting to now having a home again! HE HAS NO TV, NO FURNITURE, Limited cooking utensils provided by my best friend's cast offs, but is WORKING AT IT.

You can CRY OVER SPILT MILK, or figure out HOW to get together the money and GO OUT AND BUY A NEW BOTTLE OF MILK!

I work over 8 hours a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or