U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2017, 12:06 PM
 
525 posts, read 265,805 times
Reputation: 98

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
CollegeCurious, when you posted, were you looking for sympathy, advice, or maybe to find others in the same type of situation? If you were looking for advice, you have received that. If you want to read on, I'll offer some more.

It is important for you to look at your finances as monthly. Lump your income and expenses together as monthly earnings and bills. You can't be thinking paycheck to paycheck because, as you've seen, you won't have the necessary money to pay bills that way.

Make a budget where you list all of your monthly income and monthly expenses. You may have to go the old-time route of putting the money aside in separate envelopes every month, i.e., "rent", "utilities", "food", "insurance", "savings", etc. Use that money ONLY for the purpose intended -- no dipping into other envelopes.

It is easy for an outsider to see that you are having a hard time separating "needs" and "wants". You have to pay for the "needs" first, and if you have money left over, then pay for the "wants". Even a wedding ring is a "want". You said you want to be adult about your finances, and this is the first thing an adult has to conquer to be financially stable. It's tough, I know, especially since it seems to be totally alien to how you think about money. If you don't want to give up some things, at least find cheaper alternatives. It is surprising how saving a little here and there will add up.

You seem to want to blame certain things for your money problems. Be careful not to get into the mindset of "if only I had cheaper rent, I'd have no money worries." It doesn't work that way. Money problems are caused by bad money management, plain and simple.

On a personal note, if you were my daughter, I'd tell you to be absolutely sure you want to get married at such a young age. I'd also say to lighten your foot on the gas pedal, and I hope you learned an important lesson with that speeding ticket. Set goals and find a way to achieve them. Earning teaching certification is a fine goal, and I hope you are able to do that. I'll offer one last word of advice to say that even though these are informal message boards, always try to write well. If you get into that habit at your young age, it will serve you well all of your life. Nowadays, it is especially important if you are on social media that potential employers may read.
Thanks, but my needs are always paid first. Rent always on time as well as car note, cable, electricity. After that, I am nearly almost down to 100$ my rent for February will leave me at 100$ in my pocket until the next pay period

 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Status: "I am in preparation mode!" (set 13 days ago)
 
5,515 posts, read 5,514,151 times
Reputation: 4212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Ms. Curious, you might be right that a lot of us are boomers, I am. But a lot of us started from the bottom too. You are not making sound financial decisions and you ignore helpful advice from the very people that blazed the same trail you find yourself on.

The schools you attended did a tremendous disservice to you. I don't know what your situation was but I think you will continually have employment issues despite your degree. It seems no one along the line demanded that you understand English, finance, reasoning, or simple arithmetic as you kept getting promoted to the next grade. You probably are not stupid but you come across as very uneducated. This will not help you. The fault is likely with the schools you attended, especially your high school and college. These schools let you down.
You are really harsh.
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,387 posts, read 79,598,441 times
Reputation: 38716
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
If I cut cable I will only be saving 124 dollars. If I move I will save over 400 dollars every first of the month after rent is paid. I would also like to add the place is not exactly a retirement community, but just more older people live their
how about doing both? I can't believe you represent the generation of young people today? Luckily I know of many who can find a way to live, using a budget and giving up things they think they can not go without. ok you say it is not a retirement community; but before you indicated it was. This should go to show you, a better demand of how to word things could go along way to help you in life.
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: equator
2,630 posts, read 1,124,783 times
Reputation: 6414
This can't be real. Now the OP pays the rent on time?


And who in the U.S. puts the $ sign after the number? Especially a teacher. The odd misspelling/lack of punctuation, using the wrong word tells me this is a "Nigerian Scam" variation. Not to mention the ridiculous cable TV BS.


Like so many others, in the past I worked 3 jobs: 2 full-time, one part-time. It was a killer with no life but you do what you have to. I made $4,000 a month on $10 and $11/hr. jobs that way. I bought my own land with seller financing and slept in my pick-up camper shell for a year going to the YWCA for showers, etc. Through the VT winter. I had a meal at one of my jobs so bought no food. There are many stories like this.
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:15 PM
 
525 posts, read 265,805 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
how about doing both? I can't believe you represent the generation of young people today? Luckily I know of many who can find a way to live, using a budget and giving up things they think they can not go without. ok you say it is not a retirement community; but before you indicated it was. This should go to show you, a better demand of how to word things could go along way to help you in life.

Cable is not denting my paycheck. My paycheck is 985 biweekly. Towards the middle of the month is when the cable, car note, and, electricity due. After paying all of that off, I have enough to last until the next pay period.
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Status: "I am in preparation mode!" (set 13 days ago)
 
5,515 posts, read 5,514,151 times
Reputation: 4212
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Thanks, but my needs are always paid first. Rent always on time as well as car note, cable, electricity. After that, I am nearly almost down to 100$ my rent for February will leave me at 100$ in my pocket until the next pay period

How is that possible when your total income is $2700? Why do you want to get married to a man who has nothing to offer you? Love is not enough to sustain a relationship. I am willing to bet that you will be in the same predicament when you move. You are not telling the whole story. Either you are paying all the bills and your boyfriend contributes when he cans or you have no comprehension where your money is going. The best teacher is experience. You will learn. Good luck to you.
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:40 PM
 
525 posts, read 265,805 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This can't be real. Now the OP pays the rent on time?


And who in the U.S. puts the $ sign after the number? Especially a teacher. The odd misspelling/lack of punctuation, using the wrong word tells me this is a "Nigerian Scam" variation. Not to mention the ridiculous cable TV BS.


Like so many others, in the past I worked 3 jobs: 2 full-time, one part-time. It was a killer with no life but you do what you have to. I made $4,000 a month on $10 and $11/hr. jobs that way. I bought my own land with seller financing and slept in my pick-up camper shell for a year going to the YWCA for showers, etc. Through the VT winter. I had a meal at one of my jobs so bought no food. There are many stories like this.

Seriously, it does not matter where you put the dollar sign. Good for you. Working three jobs but sleeping in a camper. I prefer to live some where cheap where I can only work one job. I am not burning myself out.
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:41 PM
 
525 posts, read 265,805 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
How is that possible when your total income is $2700? Why do you want to get married to a man who has nothing to offer you? Love is not enough to sustain a relationship. I am willing to bet that you will be in the same predicament when you move. You are not telling the whole story. Either you are paying all the bills and your boyfriend contributes when he cans or you have no comprehension where your money is going. The best teacher is experience. You will learn. Good luck to you.
I pay the rent, cable, and electricity
he pays the groceries, gas, and builds savings

whatever
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
6,319 posts, read 3,498,656 times
Reputation: 15042
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Cable is not denting my paycheck.
It's 6% of your monthly pay. That's a dent by anyone's measure.

Do you really want to devote 6% of your paycheck to watching TV?

Quote:
My paycheck is 985 biweekly. Towards the middle of the month is when the cable, car note, and, electricity due. After paying all of that off, I have enough to last until the next pay period.
But not enough to SAVE anything, which is the problem.

You have to stop living paycheck to paycheck! You actually need to start spending significantly less than you earn and saving the difference if you're ever to get ahead financially. Moving to the less expensive apartment will help a lot, but doing that AND cutting back on expenses like a fancy cellphone plan and cable TV will help even more. Once you have a few thousand dollars in the bank as an emergency cushion, then you can look at whether or not to add back a few luxuries to your life. (But remember, you really do need to be saving at least 20% of your pay; that's not optional.)
 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:56 PM
 
525 posts, read 265,805 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's 6% of your monthly pay. That's a dent by anyone's measure.

Do you really want to devote 6% of your paycheck to watching TV?



But not enough to SAVE anything, which is the problem.

You have to stop living paycheck to paycheck! You actually need to start spending significantly less than you earn and saving the difference if you're ever to get ahead financially. Moving to the less expensive apartment will help a lot, but doing that AND cutting back on expenses like a fancy cellphone plan and cable TV will help even more. Once you have a few thousand dollars in the bank as an emergency cushion, then you can look at whether or not to add back a few luxuries to your life. (But remember, you really do need to be saving at least 20% of your pay; that's not optional.)
Finally common sense advice. Thanks for this. Once I move, I am planning to do away with the cable and phone services that I have now and move to a much cheaper alternative. I am planning on at least 100 in savings first of the month and at least 50 during the middle of the month. My fiance puts at least 50 every other week into savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top