U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:13 PM

11,645 posts, read 5,492,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
That's really not the problem. It's the rent.
It is a huge part of the problem. you could have afforded those meds with the cable money and get ahead on rent.

I think I'm wasting my time though if I try to teach you to budget.

Maybe because my father made me from a young age it just comes natural to me.I couldn't just ask for what I wanted in HS and especially college. I had to budget what was given, period.

I never paid for a 'want' unless all of my 'needs' were paid IN ADVANCE. Always a month ahead on rent and every bill. That way if there is something unexpected I am not freaking out, and late fees and interest are a horrible waste of money.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,172,943 times
So your boyfriend has medical expenses he can't pay, a criminal record and no high school diploma, and to top it off, makes almost no money to contribute to your basic cost of living, while adding a burden, and you want to get married, likely have children Hmmmm.....

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict your marriage lasts 2 kids and 3-5 years, and both of you will be even worse off financially compared to where you are now. I see this pattern all the time. Some people just don't see the obvious. You have poor decision making skills and are attracted to "project" men. You can flame me all you want, but at the end of the day I make well into the six figures and own a bunch of rentals, standing on my own two feet since 18 with no handouts from anyone, in a country I wasn't born in...How is what you are doing working for you??

Old 01-26-2017, 05:15 PM

525 posts, read 264,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Frankly, they may not be responding because your spelling and punctuation skills are not good. You are claiming to be a TEACHER and you want to tutor kids - pay better attention to detail.

And to school zones.

And cut off the cable.

I also noticed that your budget only includes your salary, so everything your boyfriend makes is apparently discretionary income. Am I correct in that conclusion?

Sorry that was a typo. I was on my phone and at work when I written this post, and I was not paying attention to my grammar! lol!.

What do you mean only include my salary

Old 01-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
So your boyfriend has medical expenses he can't pay, a criminal record and no high school diploma, and to top it off, makes almost no money to contribute to your basic cost of living, while adding a burden. Hmmmm.....

Firstly, he is able to contribute. Thanks to him we are able to afford gas, food, and to sort of build a savings. He gets paid every week

Old 01-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
They make these old fashioned thingies called antenna that you attach to your TV set and you can watch network TV without cable.
lol! In college and for a year after in my new job, I wanted to furnish my new apt. more than I wanted TV. I had an antenna and used a VCR to record.

If that were now I'd have hulu plus WITH commercials and that would be that for TV. I cannot fathom being behind on rent, not able to afford meds, but paying for cable. That is ludicrous.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:19 PM

41,054 posts, read 32,742,081 times
Quote:
Sorry that was a typo. I was on my phone and at work when I written this post, and I was not paying attention to my grammar! lol!.

Every post is full of typos and poor grammar. Honestly, I'm not usually nit picky about that but you're saying you're a teacher and going to continue that career path and you want to tutor and SHEEZE!

When you posted your income, was that only your salary or did it include your boyfriend's salary as well? I am asking because later you said "He doesn't make as much as me so he buys food and other things."

Cut out the cable. You won't die without it. I promise. In fact, internet TV is better in my opinion, and it's a heckuva lot cheaper.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:21 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,172,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I only have a financial situation due to having to subsidize my fiance to my detriment. She is going to school so only works part time, and her job doesn't even pay her as much as her bills are, so I have to make up the difference as well as pay for her food and gas. If it was just me on my own, I'd be making at least $500/month more than I spend, but that's the price of love. I hope it gets better when she graduates and can get a job that pays a living wage
I pay more in federal income tax than my gf GROSSES in a year. She is very loving, and has a decent job, just not one as good as mine as she only has low level skills and a HS diploma. But I too sometimes get tired of the burden. It's nice for her to be able to brag to her friends about my financial success and be able to lean on me, but I can't lean on her. Her take home pay wouldn't even pay the mortgage on ONE of my houses.

The sad part is for almost 6 years I've given her advice, paid most of the bills, and put her on a path to financial success and education. She just likes to sit and watch lifetime movies all day. Sometimes I wonder if I should get a more financially capable and driven gf, sigh.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:

'when I written'?

Do people come on this site and make things up? If so, what is the point of doing that? This is unrealistic. My spelling, grammar, everything has deteriorated, but when I was her age it was perfect. And to be a teacher?

the writing is like someone for whom English is a second language. If that is the case, then my apologies.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It is a huge part of the problem. you could have afforded those meds with the cable money and get ahead on rent.

I think I'm wasting my time though if I try to teach you to budget.

Maybe because my father made me from a young age it just comes natural to me.I couldn't just ask for what I wanted in HS and especially college. I had to budget what was given, period.

I never paid for a 'want' unless all of my 'needs' were paid IN ADVANCE. Always a month ahead on rent and every bill. That way if there is something unexpected I am not freaking out, and late fees and interest are a horrible waste of money.

Your dad is similar to mine. I never listens to my parents which is why I am in this predicament. They told me not to move in this place because the rent is too much for a one bedroom. I did not listen and here I am.

I am planning on moving into a 550 a month one bedroom apartment. I have not viewed the inside yet, but if I like it I will be moving out of this expensive place.

I pay the rent being that I make the most in the relationship. 985-550=435. That is enough for me to put into savings and get miscellaneous things.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:22 PM

28,463 posts, read 2,213,490 times
I think your bf may be able to qualify for medicaid, & ask for it to be backdated so they can pay the hospital bills. And move to a cheaper apartment as soon as possible. You can do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or