U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 PM

525 posts, read 264,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Every post is full of typos and poor grammar. Honestly, I'm not usually nit picky about that but you're saying you're a teacher and going to continue that career path and you want to tutor and SHEEZE!

When you posted your income, was that only your salary or did it include your boyfriend's salary as well? I am asking because later you said "He doesn't make as much as me so he buys food and other things."

Cut out the cable. You won't die without it. I promise. In fact, internet TV is better in my opinion, and it's a heckuva lot cheaper.

Give me break! PLEASE! I write the way I talk when utilizing social media! I have classes and work full time with little kids! I do not have time to write scholarly for a leisure moment

I make 985 every two weeks and my boyfriend makes 200 a week. I also can not do away with my tv. I have internet tv, but I can miss my favorite tv series which is why I am keeping cable

Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Your dad is similar to mine. I never listens to my parents which is why I am in this predicament. They told me not to move in this place because the rent is too much for a one bedroom. I did not listen and here I am.

I am planning on moving into a 550 a month one bedroom apartment. I have not viewed the inside yet, but if I like it I will be moving out of this expensive place.

I pay the rent being that I make the most in the relationship. 985-550=435. That is enough for me to put into savings and get miscellaneous things.
Being in the 'frugal living' section everyone is going to say to get rid of cable. It was hard for me, I admit. When my income went down I held on like a moron. Violating my needs first/wants last habit from my entire life.

I just loved it so much! Spoiled on it. But seriously, it's stupid and I had to realize that. and I have MORE to watch on streaming services than I did with cable. Paying for so many channels I didn't even watch.

I splurge a little on things like paying for the season of TWD. It's $40. much much cheaper than having the channel all year, or even having it for the months the show is on.

I have two premium cable shows I've not 'let go' of yet to wait for them to show up elsewhere, so I get Showtime for ONE month twice a year to watch 3 on there I like (total cost = $20) and HBO one month a year $15.

The cable has to go.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
'when I written'?

Do people come on this site and make things up? If so, what is the point of doing that? This is unrealistic. My spelling, grammar, everything has deteriorated, but when I was her age it was perfect. And to be a teacher?

the writing is like someone for whom English is a second language. If that is the case, then my apologies.
Fine! When I wrote the post, I was on my phone

Old 01-26-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Give me break! PLEASE! I write the way that I talk on social media! I have classes and work full time with little kids! I do not have time to write scholarly for a leisure moment

I make 985 every two weeks and my boyfriend makes 200 a week. I also can not do away with my tv. I have internet tv, but I can miss my favorite tv series which is why I am keeping cable
I know you meant to say 'can't' so, it's impossible to help someone who things this tv program, whatever it is, is worth more than medication. I mean, the show will come to Netflix or hulu. And even if it didn't. Seriously?

I love TV, and there is no show that I can't live w/o to pay my bills on time and have money in savings. Your priorities are off, my dear.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Being in the 'frugal living' section everyone is going to say to get rid of cable. It was hard for me, I admit. When my income went down I held on like a moron. Violating my needs first/wants last habit from my entire life.

I just loved it so much! Spoiled on it. But seriously, it's stupid and I had to realize that. and I have MORE to watch on streaming services than I did with cable. Paying for so many channels I didn't even watch.

I splurge a little on things like paying for the season of TWD. It's $40. much much cheaper than having the channel all year, or even having it for the months the show is on.

I have two premium cable shows I've not 'let go' of yet to wait for them to show up elsewhere, so I get Showtime for ONE month twice a year to watch 3 on there I like (total cost = $20) and HBO one month a year $15.

The cable has to go.
What would be a good choice for tv? I have netflix and Hulu.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 PM

8,382 posts, read 5,024,287 times
I am sure you don't want to hear this, but...

When I was your age, everyone I knew who did not have a STEM degree - including me - were in about the same situation; living very tight and having no money in the bank. This is a time to build character. This is the time to look seriously at your budget and get rid of EVERYTHING you don't need, yet costs you money.

For some reason though, most people in such a bind (not saying this is you - just people in general) are loathe to get rid of the things like expensive cell and TV services. Why do you need any TV service t all? Get a receiver - if it is not already built in and make an antenna. That, YouTube vids, and discs are all I watch.

Nobody needs a cell phone - especially smart phone - we all got along without them long ago. Local phone service and an answering machine will do well.

OP, the more you tighten up now, the faster you can get to the other side of the tunnel. Two jobs? Go get another. I worked three for around 2 years.

So far, I have not read it, but where (what part of the country) do you live in? Move to a cheaper city?

I'm sorry you are struggling, but it won't be forever if you start planning now for your future.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 01-26-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-26-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
What would be a good choice for tv? I have netflix and Hulu.
That is a lot of TV. What show/shows are you missing?

Old 01-26-2017, 06:13 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
OP, many have full time jobs, classes, children and their activities, a home to maintain, meals to cook, laundry to get done, bath time, story time, bed time, homework time and they manage to get it all done without television, so what exactly is your point?
You do not want to give up cable television so you really do not want to make your financial situation better so you really have nothing to complain about .......all over a television program.....

Old 01-26-2017, 06:15 PM

3,263 posts, read 2,839,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I just...can't. Good luck in your endeavors.
Exactly what I was thinking. HOW does one get a $450 speeding ticket? You'd have be doing 100 in a 25 zone, by a school, with kids crossing the street.

Another thing . . . OP should go over her resume. If it has as many incorrect uses of the "is" as her posts do, no reputable school will hire her.

Question: Do either of you smoke? Have tattoos? There is more $$ down the drain, along with the cable and phone.

Okay. I continued reading and . . . well . . . there is no point in discussing the agony of missing a TV series.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I am sure you don't want to hear this, but...

When I was your age, everyone I knew who did not have a STEM degree - including me - were in about the same situation; living very tight and having no money in the bank. This is a time to build character. This is the time to look seriously at your budget and get rid of EVERYTHING you don't need, yet costs you money.

For some reason though, most people in such a bind (not saying this is you - just people in general) are loathe to get rid of the things like expensive cell and TV services. Why do you need any TV service t all? Get a receiver - if it is not already built in and make an antenna. That, YouTube vids, and discs are all I watch.

Nobody needs a cell phone - especially smart phone - we all got along without them long ago. Local phone service and an answering machine will do well.

OP, the more you tighten up now, the faster you can get to the other side of the tunnel. Two jobs? Go get another. I worked three for around 2 years.

I'm sorry you are struggling, but it won't be forever if you start planning now for your future.
Cable and Netflix and Hulu is an incredible amount of TV. ! I'm shocked and I'm a TV/movie junkie!

I didn't get a smart phone until AT&T made me. They won't support the other phones anymore. I am on my brother's family plan. I don't use any data unless I'm connected to my own wi-fi or that of another's. There is no reason to waste on data to be on social media all the time.

Almost everyone I know is on a family share plan for phones, and share Netflix and Prime accounts. Even people with plenty of money.

One of my best friends has plenty to spend on all that but doesn't care to - other things are more important. She has the most basic cable package for $20 because she works a lot, doesn't really understand streaming, and it works for her. She has learned how to use Netflix but it's her son's that he programmed into her TV.

So, to re-cap a little, I have a smartphone for $20/month unlimited talk and text and I don't rack up data charges. I pay for Hulu, I pay for ONE out of 4 screens of my friend's Netflix account, and a family member put me on her Prime account for the free video content they offer.

If I had no one to share anything with, which is hard to imagine, but if I didn't then Netflix and Hulu WITH commercials would have to satisfy me for my budget and things that I need more than tons of TV options. And the tractphone everyone keeps mentioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or