U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:20 PM

711 posts, read 390,379 times

Advertisements

OP if the $124 is non-negotiable, then the money is going to have to come from somewhere. I know you mentioned no success in to find tutoring jobs - so look at part time retail or even fast food.

Also, something I haven't seen mentioned here is that you need an emergency reserve. That probably isn't news to you but has seemed like a far away dream. It shouldn't be. You need a reserve to cover those things like when the BF is off work and doesn't get a check for a week.

A part time job anywhere is going to put you in a better place AND enable you to start building an emergency fund.

The reduction in rent when you move will be nice - but it isn't the ultimate answer. IMO you need to be doing all the things to reduce expenses and increase income.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 PM

11,665 posts, read 5,519,377 times
How does diarrhea = a trip to the ER? And keep one home from work? Take Imodium and keep going to work. *that is not computing*

Old 01-26-2017, 07:27 PM

525 posts, read 266,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
How does diarrhea = a trip to the ER? And keep one home from work? Take Imodium and keep going to work. *that is not computing*
He had a stomach infection that was from bacteria. He was pooping at least every minute! I am happy we were able to afford one of the meds. He is now doing 100% better

Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. HOW does one get a $450 speeding ticket? You'd have be doing 100 in a 25 zone, by a school, with kids crossing the street.

Another thing . . . OP should go over her resume. If it has as many incorrect uses of the "is" as her posts do, no reputable school will hire her.

Question: Do either of you smoke? Have tattoos? There is more $$ down the drain, along with the cable and phone.

Okay. I continued reading and . . . well . . . there is no point in discussing the agony of missing a TV series.
50 in a school zone is VERY FAST and yes, expensive.

But yes on the TV show. That is just .... wow. At her stage in life I didn't even have time for TV. Working, going to classes, studying.

I can't even remember watching TV in college, except movies. And when I got out of college and worked full time I had three shows. recorded on the VCR. And then a dumb sitcom I liked to watch via antenna each night before bed.

There is no way in hades any of those shows would have caused me to spend money on. Unless it was like that basic basic $20 cable package.

Anyway, TV is all different now than it was then. Any show can be had via another way than having cable. If it's a premium cable channel show I mentioned that those can be had now a la carte. I don't want to miss Homeland, as an example, but I'm not keeping Showtime all year to watch it.

I will pay $9 beginning around March 10th as the finale is April 9th. I will watch that season during that month and whatever else is on that channel that interests me. Easy-peasy.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 PM

I do not think that you guys are getting the big picture.

When Cable bill, Electricity bill, and Car note comes along I have enough to pay all three bills and to splurge or grocery shop. However after grocery shopping, we have nothing left for savings. 2 weeks later rent is due. I would also like to add that I am no longer getting paid on the first. I am paid on the 7th of every month, and the apartment complex charge 100 each day for late rent. I will be paying over 1000 in rent next week. I need to move!

The woman at the cheaper place is willing to work with me on rent and pay periods. The place does not have any expensive amenities. It is a quiet retirement community. I think I will like it.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
He had a stomach infection that was from bacteria. He was pooping at least every minute! I am happy we were able to afford one of the meds. He is now doing 100% better
ok, he needed antibiotic. Since things like that happen, it's completely insane to have all those TV services. It can't be stated enough!

Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
50 in a school zone is VERY FAST and yes, expensive.

But yes on the TV show. That is just .... wow. At her stage in life I didn't even have time for TV. Working, going to classes, studying.

I can't even remember watching TV in college, except movies. And when I got out of college and worked full time I had three shows. recorded on the VCR. And then a dumb sitcom I liked to watch via antenna each night before bed.

There is no way in hades any of those shows would have caused me to spend money on. Unless it was like that basic basic $20 cable package.

Anyway, TV is all different now than it was then. Any show can be had via another way than having cable. If it's a premium cable channel show I mentioned that those can be had now a la carte. I don't want to miss Homeland, as an example, but I'm not keeping Showtime all year to watch it.

I will pay $9 beginning around March 10th as the finale is April 9th. I will watch that season during that month and whatever else is on that channel that interests me. Easy-peasy.

I am already a college graduate. I am working on a second Bachelors degree. I do study but I also like to watch my favorite television shows. 124$ is really not hurting my paycheck. it is the rent

Old 01-26-2017, 07:36 PM

10,744 posts, read 20,188,765 times
Quote:
I do not think that you guys are getting the big picture.
No, we get it. It's you who aren't getting it. Hopefully you will eventually.

FWIW my wife and I were in a similar situation right out of college. It was really tough. Fortunately for both of us we were very frugal with our money, and those lessons have returned dividends time and time again.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:37 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,937,537 times
OP: You still have not revealed how you can afford to pay for Emergency Room visits and cable television but cannot afford to pay for all required medication.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:37 PM

8,386 posts, read 5,054,690 times
Quote:
Give me break! PLEASE! I write the way I talk when utilizing social media! I have classes and work full time with little kids! I do not have time to write scholarly for a leisure moment

I make 985 every two weeks and my boyfriend makes 200 a week. I also can not do away with my tv. I have internet tv, but I can miss my favorite tv series which is why I am keeping cable
To my view, this is the biggest problem. You don't need a huge TV bill, and you don't need to miss your favorite show.

Cut the cable, and buy your favorite show by the season, you will save 3/4 of the cost every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or