U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 07:57 PM

525 posts, read 264,628 times

Advertisements

The apartment has to go. I rather save over 400 a month than 100 month. Why should I stay there when the landlord is not willing to work around my payments. I can't do this.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:14 PM

711 posts, read 388,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
The apartment has to go. I rather save over 400 a month than 100 month. Why should I stay there when the landlord is not willing to work around my payments. I can't do this.
The landlord also most likely has a mortgage to pay on the building. And the mortgage holder probably isn't flexible with their date either.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 PM

11,632 posts, read 5,477,332 times
Quote:
What apartment complex 'works around' other people's pay periods? That isn't their job. You managing your money is your job.

Anyway, yes, move to a cheaper one. But you still have to learn to pay early out of the second check each month.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:44 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,398,985 times
Quote:
Give me break! PLEASE! I write the way I talk when utilizing social media! I have classes and work full time with little kids! I do not have time to write scholarly for a leisure moment

I make 985 every two weeks and my boyfriend makes 200 a week. I also can not do away with my tv. I have internet tv, but I can miss my favorite tv series which is why I am keeping cable
Really...???

You can't be serious. You just can't be.

Your first post is all pitiful about how "we can't afford our medication!"

And just a few posts later you can't give up your damn TV show? Give me break.

I know you don't actually like to take advice, but I promise you this: if you don't change this way of thinking (excuse after excuse, and valuing your TV shows more than your physical or financial health) you will NEVER get ahead in life. You will feel stuck and miserable--just like you do right now--your entire life.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,398,985 times
Quote:
Yes, move! Absolutely

AND cut your spending. $100 a month would have paid for your medicine

AND make sure you faithfully take your birth control. In fact, double up on pregnancy prevention methods.

AND see if mom and dad are willing change your pay schedule, since it's causing you so many problems.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:30 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,503,750 times
According to your post, your aggregate income is $2770. Do you have a budget? If so, what is your budget? Do you stick to your budget? What are you spending your money on? You have posted items here and there but what is the big picture? I have been in your position and I made a lot less. Sometimes, we have to make sacrifices to make ends meet. It wont be forever. You are very young and are still learning how to become a responsible adult. It does not happen overnight.

If you are serious about improving your financial health, you need to figure out what is wrong. Where is the money going? If you do not know, that is okay. Start tracking all of your purchases and determine where the money is going and cut the fat. Unfortunately, the cable may have to go. I love my cable but when I was broke I bought an antenna and eliminated my cable and internet. The library is one of man's greatest inventions. I borrowed DVDs and used the internet for free. It did not hurt that bad. I worked all the time so I did not have a lot of free time. I watched the game show channel and ION television for free.

I do not think you have to get rid of the car. Your car note is actually reasonable compared to what many others are paying.

There is something else going on with your budget. Are you really spending that little on food? Is your boyfriend's income steady? I am not trying to pry but you are not presenting all of the facts. It is difficult to help if we do not know the full story.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:05 PM

6,308 posts, read 3,483,383 times
Quote:
However after grocery shopping, we have nothing left for savings.
And that, in a nutshell, is your problem. Savings isn't something you scrape together after you've paid all your bills. Savings comes FIRST! You should be putting aside roughly 10% of your monthly income into savings, at a minimum. You live on what's left after you've put aside your savings, which means you need a budget so you know how to divvy up your spending money. And if the budget is too tight to cover the cost of a luxury like cable TV, you either find a way to increase your income so you can afford that luxury, or you give that luxury up.

If you don't learn basic money management now, it won't matter how much you earn in the future, you'll never have enough money (because, like water, money evaporates). You'll find you're always living paycheck to paycheck. Budgeting and then sticking to your budget is no fun, but it has to be done. Welcome to adulthood.

It's great that you're downscaling your housing costs. That's a good first step. But the next step is to create a monthly budget which includes a regular contribution to savings and start sticking with it, even if it hurts (and it will, at times).

Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 PM

11,632 posts, read 5,477,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And that, in a nutshell, is your problem. Savings isn't something you scrape together after you've paid all your bills. Savings comes FIRST! You should be putting aside roughly 10% of your monthly income into savings, at a minimum. You live on what's left after you've put aside your savings, which means you need a budget so you know how to divvy up your spending money. And if the budget is too tight to cover the cost of a luxury like cable TV, you either find a way to increase your income so you can afford that luxury, or you give that luxury up.

If you don't learn basic money management now, it won't matter how much you earn in the future, you'll never have enough money (because, like water, money evaporates). You'll find you're always living paycheck to paycheck. Budgeting and then sticking to your budget is no fun, but it has to be done. Welcome to adulthood.

It's great that you're downscaling your housing costs. That's a good first step. But the next step is to create a monthly budget which includes a regular contribution to savings and start sticking with it, even if it hurts (and it will, at times).
But at the new apartment she expects them to change the day rent is due to match when she gets her paychecks.

I mean, we're starting at the most basic level of budgeting here and see no willingness on the part of the OP to consider any of it!

Old 01-27-2017, 04:15 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,842,380 times
I cannot believe she actually expects a landlord who is running a business to work the rent due date for *her* convenience.
Unbelieveable.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:00 AM

490 posts, read 196,044 times
Quote:
Car note-259
Electricity bill- ranges from 60-100 each month
Cable-124 each month
Phone Bill-60 a month
food-100-150 every other month

I have to sacrifice something and that is the high rent. My boyfriend makes 200 a week. He is getting his life back on track after getting into trouble when he was younger so he's working for less due to his record. He is also on probation and pays 120 a month.
You need to start by dropping the cable without a doubt. I do not care how much I made, I would not pay that much for cable tv. You need to drop it and learn to do without. I can assure you, you WILL NOT die from lack of cable tv.

At the very very least, drop it down to the least expensive package.

I am not trying to be mean, but you need to face up to where your problem lies.

When things are going better for you, you can get back your cable.

That phone bill also sounds too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or