Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 01:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
985-745 plus 27=213 left at the beginning of the month
213-60 for phone bill 153

My phone bill is due every first of the month along with rent

utilities is due every middle of the month which is the only time I can save but life stuff happens. For instance oil change and a 450$ speeding ticket

My boyfriend spends money on the food and gas since he makes less than me
My current situation is similar as far as most of one paycheck going toward housing expenses...Mortgage is $980, paycheck is $1350. That only leaves $370 for that two weeks at the beginning of the month. I spend $300 on groceries every two weeks (feeding teenagers is not cheap) and $80 on gas for the two weeks. My phone bill ($120 for three phones) is due at the beginning of the month too. I pay it in the middle of the previous month when I pay my other bills, and I put at least $200 that's left over from the paycheck where I pay the bills to the side, to use during the two weeks at the beginning of the next month. That way there's enough for a little spending money and a little cushion in case we need a $40 oil change or one of the kids has to have something.

There's a good way not to get speeding tickets, and you're a college-educated adult, so you already know what that way is. But if you do get a ticket, sometimes you can take defensive driving or get deferred adjudication or probation and a reduced fine...to ask for the reduced fine you usually have to go into court, say you can't afford the whole ticket but you have x amount that you can pay today (and make sure you really have the rest on hand in case they won't bargain). I'll assume your parents still pay your car insurance since you didn't list that as an expense, or you'd realize that getting speeding tickets will drastically increase the cost of your car insurance. When I first got married, my husband had several speeding tickets and we had to pay $300/month for insurance, and that was 20 years ago when things were cheaper.

I'm guessing that you feel so broke during the first half of the month that you waste your extra money from the mid-month paycheck on all the things you were wishing for, or going out with friends once or twice. Then you feel broke all month again and the cycle begins over again.

People will tell you to get rid of the car but that's not always the best way to go. In some cities you can't get around without a car and buying an old car really cheap can mean costly repairs.

I was going to suggest that you get renter's insurance. It's cheap, maybe $15/month. That way if you have a plumbing flood or a neighbor catches the building on fire, you have a way to replace everything you lose.

The other thing you ought to do is advertise to babysit in your free time. You've got great qualifications for that...you've got a degree, you're a teacher, your school probably makes sure you're first aid and cpr certified. Advertise on Nextdoor, put a sign up in the laundry room at your apartment complex, tell the parents of your students that you're available to babysit for date nights, etc. I know, you deal with kids all day long and don't want to deal with them on the weekends or evenings...but it's an easy way to make some cash.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:28 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
On your income, you shouldn't be spending $124/mo on cable. You should drop down to internet only and then add Netflix or something. You also shouldn't be paying $60/mo for a cell plan. If you can't live without a smart phone, there are plenty of plans in the $30/mo range.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
but life stuff happens. For instance oil change and a 450$ speeding ticket
I just...can't. Good luck in your endeavors.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
OP: How can you afford an Emergency Room visit yet you cannot afford medication?
You do not have to have children to get welfare help.
Drop the cable, cell phones and vehicles. With a $450.00 speeding ticket you don't need to be driving anyway and if you cannot afford medication how do you pay for insurance?

Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM

525 posts, read 406,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I just...can't. Good luck in your endeavors.
I got it for going only 50 in a school zone. I did not see the school flashing sign until I was right up on it

Old 01-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
On your income, you shouldn't be spending $124/mo on cable. You should drop down to internet only and then add Netflix or something. You also shouldn't be paying $60/mo for a cell plan. If you can't live without a smart phone, there are plenty of plans in the $30/mo range.
I thought about this. I know a lot of people who use internet tv, but I only watch tv on certain days.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My current situation is similar as far as most of one paycheck going toward housing expenses...Mortgage is $980, paycheck is $1350. That only leaves $370 for that two weeks at the beginning of the month. I spend $300 on groceries every two weeks (feeding teenagers is not cheap) and $80 on gas for the two weeks. My phone bill ($120 for three phones) is due at the beginning of the month too. I pay it in the middle of the previous month when I pay my other bills, and I put at least $200 that's left over from the paycheck where I pay the bills to the side, to use during the two weeks at the beginning of the next month. That way there's enough for a little spending money and a little cushion in case we need a $40 oil change or one of the kids has to have something.

There's a good way not to get speeding tickets, and you're a college-educated adult, so you already know what that way is. But if you do get a ticket, sometimes you can take defensive driving or get deferred adjudication or probation and a reduced fine...to ask for the reduced fine you usually have to go into court, say you can't afford the whole ticket but you have x amount that you can pay today (and make sure you really have the rest on hand in case they won't bargain). I'll assume your parents still pay your car insurance since you didn't list that as an expense, or you'd realize that getting speeding tickets will drastically increase the cost of your car insurance. When I first got married, my husband had several speeding tickets and we had to pay $300/month for insurance, and that was 20 years ago when things were cheaper.

I'm guessing that you feel so broke during the first half of the month that you waste your extra money from the mid-month paycheck on all the things you were wishing for, or going out with friends once or twice. Then you feel broke all month again and the cycle begins over again.

People will tell you to get rid of the car but that's not always the best way to go. In some cities you can't get around without a car and buying an old car really cheap can mean costly repairs.

I was going to suggest that you get renter's insurance. It's cheap, maybe $15/month. That way if you have a plumbing flood or a neighbor catches the building on fire, you have a way to replace everything you lose.

The other thing you ought to do is advertise to babysit in your free time. You've got great qualifications for that...you've got a degree, you're a teacher, your school probably makes sure you're first aid and cpr certified. Advertise on Nextdoor, put a sign up in the laundry room at your apartment complex, tell the parents of your students that you're available to babysit for date nights, etc. I know, you deal with kids all day long and don't want to deal with them on the weekends or evenings...but it's an easy way to make some cash.
i wanted to tutor in weekends. I put out advertisements but no one responded

Old 01-26-2017, 02:15 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Hi, you all.. I am so depressed right now. I literally have no money and me and my boyfriend is currently living paycheck to paycheck. I am 24 and currently teach Pre K and I have a degree in sociology and anthropology. My boyfriend who is also 24 does maintenance and is enrolled in GED classes. He eventually wants to go to school for auto engineering after he finishes GED school. My boyfriend is currently sick with diarrhea. We to the emergency room yesterday night. To make a long story short, we could not afford all of the medicine for him. The total cost was 43$. I felt so embarrassed and hurt that we could not afford just 43 dollars worth of pills. We ended up pay for just for one of the meds and not the other one. I have 0.00 dollars in my account and 0.00 dollars in my savings. My boyfriend only has 20.00 bucks. This isn't the first time this has happened. I was sick and had to go to the hospital. I was prescribed medicine that cost only 20 bucks and I could not afford them. My boyfriend has also missed work all this week so he will not get a paycheck this week. Health insurance is too expensive. I get paid on the 7th and I am not sure how to survive until them. We usually rely on his income to hold us through the weekend.

Not only is health insurance is high, but my rent is too. I get paid on the 7th and my rent is due on the first. My rent for a one bedroom is 745+27 and it is 100 dollars each day it is late. I am hoping that the landlord work something out so that we can pay all of the rent. I am planning on moving to a cheaper spot that only wants 550 for a one bedroom where the land lord is willing to work with me on my pay period.

I also in the process of earning another degree and right now I do not think I can go any further. I feel like giving up. We can not get government assistance because we do not have any kids. I make too much for HUD and EBT. My boyfriend is going to try to get EBT to help us out with groceries.

We are also getting engaged and our photos have to be pushed back to where we can afford them. The ring is inexpensive but it is fine.

I am in tears and do not know if I can make it. I feel all alone. My boyfriend is planning on asking his mom for help and I really oppose of that because I do not like asking for hand outs. Not even from my own family.
ASK! You have to ask for help!!

If you were my daughter and you did not ask I would be very upset with you. It doesn't have to be a handout. It can be a loan if that's what you want - and my daughters have both borrowed money.

ASK FOR HELP!!

Old 01-26-2017, 02:17 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I thought about this. I know a lot of people who use internet tv, but I only watch tv on certain days.
The way you have presented the situation you are very busy so how do you even have time to watch television? Turn off the cable and take another class.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The way you have presented the situation you are very busy so how do you even have time to watch television? Turn off the cable and take another class.

Exacty I am very busy!. I mean that the shoes that I love to watch only comes on on certain days of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living