U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:36 AM

525 posts, read 264,109 times

Advertisements

Hi, you all.. I am so depressed right now. I literally have no money and me and my boyfriend is currently living paycheck to paycheck. I am 24 and currently teach Pre K and I have a degree in sociology and anthropology. My boyfriend who is also 24 does maintenance and is enrolled in GED classes. He eventually wants to go to school for auto engineering after he finishes GED school. My boyfriend is currently sick with diarrhea. We to the emergency room yesterday night. To make a long story short, we could not afford all of the medicine for him. The total cost was 43$. I felt so embarrassed and hurt that we could not afford just 43 dollars worth of pills. We ended up pay for just for one of the meds and not the other one. I have 0.00 dollars in my account and 0.00 dollars in my savings. My boyfriend only has 20.00 bucks. This isn't the first time this has happened. I was sick and had to go to the hospital. I was prescribed medicine that cost only 20 bucks and I could not afford them. My boyfriend has also missed work all this week so he will not get a paycheck this week. Health insurance is too expensive. I get paid on the 7th and I am not sure how to survive until them. We usually rely on his income to hold us through the weekend.

Not only is health insurance is high, but my rent is too. I get paid on the 7th and my rent is due on the first. My rent for a one bedroom is 745+27 and it is 100 dollars each day it is late. I am hoping that the landlord work something out so that we can pay all of the rent. I am planning on moving to a cheaper spot that only wants 550 for a one bedroom where the land lord is willing to work with me on my pay period.

I also in the process of earning another degree and right now I do not think I can go any further. I feel like giving up. We can not get government assistance because we do not have any kids. I make too much for HUD and EBT. My boyfriend is going to try to get EBT to help us out with groceries.

We are also getting engaged and our photos have to be pushed back to where we can afford them. The ring is inexpensive but it is fine.

I am in tears and do not know if I can make it. I feel all alone. My boyfriend is planning on asking his mom for help and I really oppose of that because I do not like asking for hand outs. Not even from my own family.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:15 AM

10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
Move in with family for the time being to get on your feet. Work a second or even third job. Drop your expenses to a bare minimum. If you can ride a bike to work sell the car and cancel insurance. What kind of cell phone do you have? If it's something above a Tracfone prepaid flip-style you're paying too much. There are lots of things you can do. When my wife and I graduated college (and were in college) we were very poor. What we focused on is cutting costs to the maximum possible (seriously, maximum - no expensive cell phones, no cable, never ate out, etc) and invested in our careers. Job pay was secondary to what the job gave us as far as skill sets and long term career growth.

I feel to be honest that degrees these days above a basic 4-year are mostly a waste of time. You continuing to go to school most likely won't help your employment situation unless you can go to higher end school. Your degrees are very "bland" and don't carry much weight outside of their specific fields IMO. Stop wasting money and time with additional schooling - you need real world experience.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Move in with family for the time being to get on your feet. Work a second or even third job. Drop your expenses to a bare minimum. If you can ride a bike to work sell the car and cancel insurance. What kind of cell phone do you have? If it's something above a Tracfone prepaid flip-style you're paying too much. There are lots of things you can do. When my wife and I graduated college (and were in college) we were very poor. What we focused on is cutting costs to the maximum possible (seriously, maximum - no expensive cell phones, no cable, never ate out, etc) and invested in our careers. Job pay was secondary to what the job gave us as far as skill sets and long term career growth.

I feel to be honest that degrees these days above a basic 4-year are mostly a waste of time. You continuing to go to school most likely won't help your employment situation unless you can go to higher end school. Your degrees are very "bland" and don't carry much weight outside of their specific fields IMO. Stop wasting money and time with additional schooling - you need real world experience.
I am getting a two year degree in Elementary Ed because I could not find any work in social services and I really enjoy teaching. I am so mad that I did not go for it in the beginning of my college career. I get paid 985 biweekly and my apartment bill is whats costing so much! On top of that, they add on 27 for the amenities that I do not even use

Old 01-26-2017, 11:52 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
You should be getting a tax refund soon. Even with no kids, you will probably get something back. Borrow the rent money from your boyfriend's mom, and then use the tax refund to pay her back.

985 every two weeks should be enough to pay for your rent and bills, as long as you don't have a car payment and expensive cable and cell bills.

My rent was the same as yours, my husband's pay was a little less than yours, I didn't work and we have two kids, and we managed decently for years. The only thing we were getting from the government was health insurance for the kids. Since you've got your boyfriend's income also, you should be more comfortable than we were.

You're not budgeting well for what you need. You didn't spend the rent money on your boyfriend's trip to the hospital, that was already gone and you knew rent was due on the 1st.

What bills do you have besides rent?

Old 01-26-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You should be getting a tax refund soon. Even with no kids, you will probably get something back. Borrow the rent money from your boyfriend's mom, and then use the tax refund to pay her back.

985 every two weeks should be enough to pay for your rent and bills, as long as you don't have a car payment and expensive cable and cell bills.

My rent was the same as yours, my husband's pay was a little less than yours, I didn't work and we have two kids, and we managed decently for years. The only thing we were getting from the government was health insurance for the kids. Since you've got your boyfriend's income also, you should be more comfortable than we were.

You're not budgeting well for what you need. You didn't spend the rent money on your boyfriend's trip to the hospital, that was already gone and you knew rent was due on the 1st.

What bills do you have besides rent?
Car note-259
Electricity bill- ranges from 60-100 each month
Cable-124 each month
Phone Bill-60 a month
food-100-150 every other month

I have to sacrifice something and that is the high rent. My boyfriend makes 200 a week. He is getting his life back on track after getting into trouble when he was younger so he's working for less due to his record. He is also on probation and pays 120 a month.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:12 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
So 985 twice a month, subtract your bills and rent and you have 503, assuming your electric is 100 and you're spending $150 for food each month. Let's assume you're also spending $100/month for gas for the car, so there's $400/month left after bills and rent. I don't see car insurance and renter's insurance on the list, are you paying those? Do you have credit card bills? Student loans you're paying on?

Old 01-26-2017, 12:16 PM

10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Car note-259
Electricity bill- ranges from 60-100 each month
Cable-124 each month
Phone Bill-60 a month
food-100-150 every other month

I have to sacrifice something and that is the high rent. My boyfriend makes 200 a week. He is getting his life back on track after getting into trouble when he was younger so he's working for less due to his record. He is also on probation and pays 120 a month.
Get rid of the car payment (sell and purchase used car with money on hand) and completely drop cable $124/month for cable is insane. You can't even pay rent yet have CABLE. Good lord.

Prepaid cell phones can be had for around $10-$15/month on Tracfone. That would save another $50/month.

Right there is $433/month in savings which is over $5,000 a year.

You're not broke you've overextended yourself.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:23 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,003,283 times
You don't need photos or engagement ring. If you can't afford medication why on earth would you waste money on frivolous stuff like that.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:47 PM

583 posts, read 739,298 times
Many will tell you to get rid of the car but that's not necessarily the best thing to do. It depends on the type of car, how much you owe, how much longer your payments are and other variables. If you're underwater, you'd have to get the best offer you can and then pay off the remaining balance, which you likely couldn't afford. If the car is reliable, you should probably stick with it and conserve in other ways. If you sold it and bought a much cheaper, older car, it may end up costing you more in repairs and hassle if it's always breaking down.

Definitely get rid of cable and the cell phone plan. If you're locked into a contract with either, borrow the money from relatives to pay the cancellation penalty. You could pay it back real quick with just the savings from either of those dropped plans.

Buy the cheapest tracfone you can find without all the bells and whistles and buy minutes cards. In my area, you can buy them at most grocery stores for 20 bucks, which includes 3 months, 90 minutes service. Many tracfones have double the minutes features so you could be getting 180 minutes for those 3 months. That averages 7 bucks a month. Just use the phones when absolutely necessary. Use internet at the library.

Other than that, just conserve in any way you can. Stop eating out, movies, etc. Get DVD's at the library and hook up a cheap antenna so you can at least get local channels.

From what you posted, it sounds like the 2 of you bring in about 2,700 dollars a month. That should be enough to manage ok financially with money left over. You really need to track where your money is going each month. It often trickles away on little things.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
So 985 twice a month, subtract your bills and rent and you have 503, assuming your electric is 100 and you're spending $150 for food each month. Let's assume you're also spending $100/month for gas for the car, so there's $400/month left after bills and rent. I don't see car insurance and renter's insurance on the list, are you paying those? Do you have credit card bills? Student loans you're paying on?
985-745 plus 27=213 left at the beginning of the month
213-60 for phone bill 153

My phone bill is due every first of the month along with rent

utilities is due every middle of the month which is the only time I can save but life stuff happens. For instance oil change and a 450$ speeding ticket

My boyfriend spends money on the food and gas since he makes less than me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or