U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:40 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,144,875 times

Advertisements

I am smart with our money but we also make quite a bit and work hard for it so we do enjoy it. I mean you've got one life to live and we can't take it with us....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 07:45 AM

42,223 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I work with someone who spends like crazy, stuff that to me is ridiculous, but I don't care. What I care about is when she complains about not having money and needing to work another job to pay her bills. it.
This.
The whining about not having enough money and pointedly making remarks or looks about money other people have (or seem to have)...that irks me.
Maybe those other people aren't making stupid decisions left and right.

At the end of the day, if I'm not directly supporting you or indirectly supporting you, I don't care how you spend your money. Just **** instead of complaining when you can't make ends meet at the end of the month.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,813,690 times
I'm not on board with the 'no judging'. IMO, some people misuse the bible "judge not, lest you be judged'. That was woman had rocks thrown at her and was being abused by others. In real life, we make judgements everyday. We take our observations and experiences and make choices and decisions based on those observations and experiences.

There is a time to speak up and a time to remain quiet. You don't have to be in someone's face about their choices, but it is ok to state or indicate that you think they are making a mistake. As long as you are not slandering someone. I see no problem in using another person's choices as an example of what to do or what not to do.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:02 AM

1,314 posts, read 663,526 times
i only judge when the person then complains about money problems.

someone i work with makes like 200k per year and then constantly complains about being in debt and money problems. but then they will talk about all this stuff they spent money on. so yes, in that instance, i'm judging. like maybe cut back on going out to dinner every single weekend.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,618,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i only judge when the person then complains about money problems.

someone i work with makes like 200k per year and then constantly complains about being in debt and money problems. but then they will talk about all this stuff they spent money on. so yes, in that instance, i'm judging. like maybe cut back on going out to dinner every single weekend.
It's hard to say, because some people who are actually well off, will still complain about not being able to afford something like an exotic vacation somewhere. This isn't the same thing as complaining about not being able to afford toothpaste.

Not being able to afford a vacation or a new car doesn't mean they can't budget their money. They might be doing quite well financially.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm not on board with the 'no judging'. IMO, some people misuse the bible "judge not, lest you be judged'. That was woman had rocks thrown at her and was being abused by others. In real life, we make judgements everyday. We take our observations and experiences and make choices and decisions based on those observations and experiences.
It's not about religion at all. It's just about being a pleasant person socially. If (for example) we're talking and you see me holding a Starbuck's cup, it's not your place to criticize that. It's my money and I can choose to spend it how I wish to, no matter how upsetting that might be to some people. They just have to get past it.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:04 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
There are all kinds of "little things" people do to waste their money, though. Like going to movies, buying foods they don't really need at the grocery store like ice cream, throwing a candy bar in the cart, etc. I'm not sure why people focus on coffee so much. Let's face it, half the stuff we eat and drink, we don't really "need".
I agree that lots of people waste their money.

Not everyone, of course, but a lot of people do.

Blow $20 /day on foo foo coffee if you wish. Have a ball. Nobody is judging you for it. Waste as much of your money as you wish to waste.

However if you then come to me whining that you are broke [and people do], I may lack compassion for you, over your self-inflicted problem.

Likewise if you come to me begging to borrow cash [and people do], and your willful 'waste' is more than my salary [and this has happened to me], I will refuse to give you money.

Is that judgemental?

I know people whose waste is more than I earn, yet they are ever broke and I am gaining Net Worth.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Blow $20 /day on foo foo coffee if you wish. Have a ball. Nobody is judging you for it. Waste as much of your money as you wish to waste.
Actually, yes this is judgmental right here. Calling it "foo foo" coffee and saying it's a waste of money.

If I enjoy my coffee, then it's not a waste of money.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:38 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
A previous poster going by 'tassity22' said:
Quote:
... There are all kinds of "little things" people do to waste their money
That poster has admitted that Starbucks coffees are a 'waste of money'. Regardless of how foo foo they may be.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:41 PM

People can spend their money how they wish. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or