U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:46 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,862,490 times

Advertisements

We spend or save our money as we choose without a thought regarding what others think about something that is none of their business.
You may believe that we waste money on coffee however, I believe anyone who spends money on mushrooms is wasting their money. I personally do not like mushrooms but it is not my place nor purpose in life to tell anyone else that they are wasting their money on the purchase of mushrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 12:58 PM

238 posts, read 138,116 times
I have always been fascinated by frugal living. Many years ago Parade Magazine ran an article on a couple that had four respectably dressed kids, the mother was a "stay-at-home-mom" and they bought their dream farm house cash. The father made a descent living but nothing over the top. She could stretch a dollar like a rubber band. They lived on a strict budget and really didn't lack for anything important. I saved that magazine and every now and then read it and savor their accomplishment. She never bought new clothes yet was selective regarding the used clothes she purchased. They were able to look at the bigger picture and delay gratification on many items that people these days "have" to have so that she could stay home for her children. According to the article, they were very happy.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:10 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,832,484 times
There was a form I used to use (when I was helping people with budgets) called 'Money Gobblers" one of the items on this list was purchasing coffee and soda.

I find it interesting that both purchases were mentioned in this thread.

I really don't think anyone cares if you purchase starbucks, or soda - I think it's more of, what I saw, that people didn't realize how much they were spending on them. Let's do simple math - $2 a day on a coffee before work = $10 a week ~$40 a month. For someone who can't make ends meet, or can't get out of debt - here's $40 that could be used for that (or $25 if you replace it with a can of coffee and the electricity to brew it) I think starbucks has become a generic phrase for the mindless spending - just like McDonalds has become the term used for all fast food chains.

There is also a difference between judgment and judgmental. We all make judgments, that's how we decide what is good for us. We don't need to be judgmental - thinking less (or more) of someone's choices that don't agree with ours.

We used to figure $25 per person per month for clothing. It sounded high to me, no way do I spend that much every month - however, it was a budget, what gets earmarked for a purchase. I live in the north, I don't buy a winter coat, or boots every month; but when I need to it's over $25.

Back to OP - It's not my job to jump on anyone for the way they choose to spend their money. However, if it's my money, or they are asking for help, or are driving me crazy because they are always complaining, then I feel it's okay for me to say something about their choices - note say something, not jump all over them.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 AM

11,729 posts, read 16,473,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
People can spend their money how they wish. End of story.
Then why do you get flustered about comments on a group on social media?

I do not discuss income/spending with anyone but SO.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 PM

11,639 posts, read 5,486,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Actually, yes this is judgmental right here. Calling it "foo foo" coffee and saying it's a waste of money.

If I enjoy my coffee, then it's not a waste of money.
Totally. I love foo foo coffee. In fact once when I was really broke I'd still get it sometimes as a treat at a place where they had a half-price happy hour.

I think what some are saying is that only matters if the foo foo coffee drinker is doing that everyday and then is all omg where is rent money? That to me is when I am like really? Whether it's coffee or DVDs or whatever I can't understand having extras all the time and then not having rent. Or worse, coming to me to borrow after the money is consistently blown.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 15,304,722 times
I also love my foo foo coffee but have brought it down to less than $1 per mug by going the home Nespesso machine and Torani syrups from World Market route for a daily latte. It's still in the 'little luxury' category, but far less than what I'd spend getting something similar at a coffee shop.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:48 PM

22,739 posts, read 21,795,564 times
...on a bicycle. It's frou-frou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or