U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:33 PM

4,587 posts, read 3,043,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wouldn't really call that wasting money. We can only do so much and yes, the humidity in Texas can drive a person insane. That was one of the reasons we left the state; actually the only real reason. We are on a budget plan so our utility bills do not change. Sometimes we have a surplus in our account which is build up to cover the times of the year that are very cold or very warm.
I'm with you. Love to cook & love my wine. Otherwise I'm pretty frugal.

Oops, meant to quote you're other post. And I've only had 1 glass of wine, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 PM

3,303 posts, read 1,974,891 times
We spend a lot on our pets, always have. Not talking about frivolous or extravagant stuff, just the cost of food and vet care. Wouldn't change that, as I love my pets.

I have, in the past, spent a lot on gardening. I will still spend a fair amount this year, but I am growing far more plants from seed, rather than buying them as plants. Hubby built a growing place in the basement with lights, a fan, etc., and we have lots of plants. I'm going to start some seeds soon that will eventually be placed outside when the weather is spring-like.

I also saved my Mexican Shellflower bulbs this year. I hope they come back when I replant them!

Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 AM

20,369 posts, read 25,570,672 times
Groceries. Right now I buy what we want. I need to get back on track with that. Dieting will help. The processed snacks are the worst for you and expensive.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:20 PM

212 posts, read 129,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Clothes.
I am a clothes horse.
{and I am a man!}

Having once been homeless once and having only a backpack to my name, living under a bridge near the railroad tracks with only a few articles of clothing to my name, I think I now have enough clothing to clothe a small naked country!

Kudos to you for getting back on track. I know first-hand how rough that is. I was homeless for a few months several years ago, but no one could ever tell just by looking at me. And when people now hear that I experienced that, they are shocked and always say, "But you don't look like you could be homeless.".

Old 02-02-2017, 06:55 PM

28,689 posts, read 2,252,472 times
wine. & cabs if we drink out. But I enjoy it.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:13 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,790,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think it is a waste of money. I spend a lot of money on my dogs. It's well worth every penny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I love to cook and we both love our wine. My big splurge is wine: yep, like food I buy it on sale but I still buy too much of it. After so many years I am surprised my liver is still working well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I spend too much on food because I have to make everything from scratch. A lot of people think that's cheaper than buying things already made, but mostly it's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm with you. Love to cook & love my wine. Otherwise I'm pretty frugal.

Oops, meant to quote you're other post. And I've only had 1 glass of wine, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
We spend a lot on our pets, always have. Not talking about frivolous or extravagant stuff, just the cost of food and vet care. Wouldn't change that, as I love my pets.

I have, in the past, spent a lot on gardening. I will still spend a fair amount this year,

You are all engaging in brilliant acts of frugality and may not even know it (except oregonwoodsmoke, who is aware). The joy, creativity, health benefits, etc. of cooking, gardening and pet ownership will reduce stress, extend your longevity, add dimension to your life, etc. and are much cheaper alternatives to the doctor, psychiatrist, etc.

And didn't they do a study that prove the French live longer and are generally happier because of the wine consumption? Especially red wines. Pet owners tend to live longer and more stress free lives as well. So cook, eat, drink and garden away I say!! Just make sure to keep the cat from digging up your bulbs or using the garden as a litter box...

Old 02-02-2017, 08:58 PM

291 posts, read 132,730 times
Add another for food. Like someone mentioned, even if you make everything at home it can be pricey. My issue is as much as I absolutely love the idea of cooking at home, I hardly ever do it. I can get a pound of decent quality sausage and a good rice mix for jambalaya for $4.00. Having made that specific dish numerous times, it's far better in quality and taste than most of what I eat. Instead though, I'm headed to Chickfila to spend $10 for a single meal. It's killer, I know it, I tell myself all the time to stop, but I keep right on with it.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:10 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,303,312 times
Definitely food. I'm not into cooking, I do not like grocery shopping and have a "get in, get out" approach. I'm not a coupon clipper and I go when I can (weird schedule) so I don't pay attention to the best time or day of the week for deals.

I also dislike packing stuff for work so a lot of cash is frittered away there, too. Then there's the food on the fly--so convenient, so expensive.

In the past I've amazed myself with how much more cash I had to work with (savings, paying something off, pre-paying a trip) when I stopped all the food out. That alone, without coupons or deal days, saved me a bundle.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:40 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,220,886 times
food

Old 02-03-2017, 02:49 AM

729 posts, read 296,098 times
Food, groceries, restaurants...

Shout out to my #foodies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or