U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 03:20 AM

4 posts, read 2,516 times

Advertisements

9gag.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 03:29 AM

11,801 posts, read 5,594,328 times
I do miss eating out. I used to be able to afford it regularly. Now I am too hard on myself.So I've eased up. I like to get a comfort food of a 'large' hashbrowns from Waffle House. To go, so I don't pay the crazy price of a glass of milk and a tip. I used to flog myself because the same amount costs 1/3 less if I make my own. Good Lord, it's only three bucks every now and then!

A few comforts won't hurt. Now when I want them, I get them. And as I said above, ff is really cheap if you just get the main item. chicken or burger or whatever. It's the fries and drink that get you.

Healthier too to bring the main item home and pair with salad, baked potato, whatever. and no soda.

I have to be this frugal. And if I suddenly didn't have to be, I'd still follow same habits.

Every dollar I spend needlessly is a dollar away from paying off my mortgage. And it adds up.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:33 AM

11,801 posts, read 5,594,328 times
As for real dining out, I do that several times per year. Socializing is important too. So is not completely depriving oneself unless literal survival is at stake.

Perhaps that is why poor people eat out too often. A constant feeling of deprivation. I think that is stupid, but it is what it is.

Everyone I know with lower income than me eats out more. And then struggle to pay bills. I cannot stand struggle to pay bills. I like to do that easily and early.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:40 PM

6,953 posts, read 3,787,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
To the truly frugal any penny above need is a waste. My Dad's house growing up it was probably at 65? The minimum temp for county jails! Oh and the summer. OMG. 83

He won't throw away a garbage bag until it is completely full. I try and do that also, but sometimes I want all the trash out and it's worth however many pennies it is to waste half a bag.

All of these little things add up ...... that's how the truly frugal think of it and it's true
I also will not waste a bag by throwing it away half full. And I do not even pay for the bags. I use points/rewards for employer purchases, to pay for paper goods for my home.

I keep the heat on 65° and my bill was $680 last month. I hardly think that is being frugal. But 65° is still not comfortable, so I do not want to experience the frugal heat setting.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:46 PM

6,953 posts, read 3,787,114 times
Eating out and Wine are the places I choose to waste money.

I am pretty frugal in other areas.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 PM

3,044 posts, read 1,846,256 times
I spend too much on entertainment. We have Hulu, Netflix AND cable. I love Hulu, the hubby loves Netflix, and we both love sports, so cable is a necessity. I also spend more than I should on wine and liquor.

However...and maybe this is "justifying"...but I see it as saving money in some ways. We're young and don't have any children. When we didn't have cable, we were prone to "going out" so we could watch sports. Then, we'd end up eating expensive bar food, and I'd buy overpriced beers. Since we have plenty of entertainment at home and I have plenty of much cheaper alcohol, we don't go out and spend that money.

We never go to the movies -- my husband and I have been together since 2010 and have only been to the movies once in our entire relationship -- and we seldom go to bars or restaurants anymore. I'm very frugal when it comes to grocery shopping -- I love comparing sales ads to look for the best deals, shopping at Aldi, using coupons, etc...it's not just "frugal," it's kinda like a game/hobby for me to get the best deals on such things -- and we don't really spend a ton of money on clothes, partly because I work from home and don't need a professional wardrobe. We way, way "underbought" and purchased a fixer-upper, and our home is already almost paid off, even though I'm only 28.

So...I don't mind spending on things like entertainment for the home. Some would think it's silly that we pay for that much TV and might flinch at how much I spend on wine and liquor in a month.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:36 AM

69,616 posts, read 79,942,863 times
As I said before: food for sure, especially meat and Damn it, I did it again a couple of days ago. We were doing our monthly Sam's shopping: I ended up getting a package of frozen lobsters claws (which I love) for $26.00. I justified it because it was 2 lbs, and I haven't seen them that cheap in years. We are not lucky enough to live in New England or someplace where lobster is cheap. I also got some expensive steak. Shame on me.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:47 AM

21,133 posts, read 26,073,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
.......a package of frozen lobsters claws (which I love) for $26.00. I justified it because it was 2 lbs, a.........
So, how many meals do you get out of two pounds of lobster claws? How much would it cost to go out and buy those same meals at a restaurant?

An occasional treat is not a waste of money. I recommend balancing economy with a bit of enjoyment of life.

Now, if you were eating lobster every night of the week, it might be a bit indulgent, but that would depend upon your income. If Aristotle Onassis ate lobster at home every night of the week, that would be his economy budget when he was in money saving mode. if a person living on minimum wage tried to eat lobster every night of the week, that would be a real budget buster.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:06 AM

10,324 posts, read 14,203,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I also will not waste a bag by throwing it away half full. And I do not even pay for the bags. I use points/rewards for employer purchases, to pay for paper goods for my home.

I keep the heat on 65° and my bill was $680 last month. I hardly think that is being frugal. But 65° is still not comfortable, so I do not want to experience the frugal heat setting.
$680 for the month ! is astronomical. (I hope that was a typo)

Old 02-11-2017, 12:40 PM

69,616 posts, read 79,942,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
$680 for the month ! is astronomical. (I hope that was a typo)
wow, I guess so. Maybe he/she needs to get someone out to where the problem lies. Or maybe it is time for a heating system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or