Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I can no longer stand the cold. I used to be able to keep the heat LOW. And I can still turn it OFF while I sleep, but now I get cold at 68 even with a hat on and warm clothes and warm fuzzy socks! It feels sinful to keep it at 70, but I do. With this mild winter second year in a row it's not hurting me much.

And in the summer, forget it. I have never been able to tolerate heat. I waste a LOT on A/C. In Texas, the humidity makes you feel hot even when the inside temp tells you it's a temp you like. I can't cope! I crank that sucker down.
I wouldn't really call that wasting money. We can only do so much and yes, the humidity in Texas can drive a person insane. That was one of the reasons we left the state; actually the only real reason. We are on a budget plan so our utility bills do not change. Sometimes we have a surplus in our account which is build up to cover the times of the year that are very cold or very warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 09:47 AM

I love to cook and we both love our wine. I shop wisely and plan my weekly meals based on what is in the freezer and what is on sale, using coupons or shopping at stores like Sam's and Aldis. If it isn't on sale or available at one of those stores I don't buy it. But still I spend too much because we do not eat economical foods as much as some people do. My big splurge is wine: yep, like food I buy it on sale but I still buy too much of it. After so many years I am surprised my liver is still working well.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:41 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Clothes.
I am a clothes horse.
{and I am a man!}

Having once been homeless once and having only a backpack to my name, living under a bridge near the railroad tracks with only a few articles of clothing to my name, I think I now have enough clothing to clothe a small naked country!

I have just lost a lot of weight, and I have vowed to not spend so much on the downsized clothes, of whch I USED to have but shamelessly gave to the Salvation Army! I wish I had kept a few just in case I lost the weight again....I am keeping a few of my "fat clothes" {about 6 of each type of thing} so I WOn't have to buy a lot if iI regain the weight and this time will sell the excess clothing at a garage sale in the spring. I HOPE by keeping them I won't gian the weight back.

I justify my clothes-horse-ness because I buy online at deep clearance discounts {like $3 for a DRESS SHIRT, $8 for casual dress pants-note these are brand new clothes}, even if it is off-season clothes I am buying for the next in-season. But it all adds up to about 450 articles I am selling in the spring, and naturally that doesn't include the items I am keeping...just in case I regain the weight!

Old 01-28-2017, 12:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I spend too much on food because I have to make everything from scratch. A lot of people think that's cheaper than buying things already made, but mostly it's not. The things that I buy already made usually have to be organic because they're more specific about the ingredients used. I joke with my husband that it's a good thing I didn't have this problem ten years ago, I wouldn't have been able to afford to eat.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:16 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
To the truly frugal any penny above need is a waste. My Dad's house growing up it was probably at 65? The minimum temp for county jails! Oh and the summer. OMG. 83

He won't throw away a garbage bag until it is completely full. I try and do that also, but sometimes I want all the trash out and it's worth however many pennies it is to waste half a bag.

All of these little things add up ...... that's how the truly frugal think of it and it's true
I'm okay with not being truly frugal if it means I'm uncomfortable in my own home. To me that sounds cheap not frugal.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:36 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I'm okay with not being truly frugal if it means I'm uncomfortable in my own home. To me that sounds cheap not frugal.
I don't mean that it's a bad thing at all. It was just one of the things I was taught growing up - that it's a waste. When it's cold, one can put on more clothes, and in Texas it's rather ridiculous to want to be at 73 degrees when it's 103 outside.

Especially in a large home where it costs over 2,000 or more in the summer to do that. I am going to buy some cuddle duds for next winter - I do like to save on heat to enjoy that A/C in the summer!

Old 01-28-2017, 08:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Our house was well-insulated to begin with, and as we've done home repair and improvement, energy efficiency has been a priority. So we're at the point where the cost difference between the spring and fall months where we don't run the (high SEER rated) heat pump compared to winter heat and summer AC months are pretty marginal. We're willing to pay another $5/month to be really, really comfortable level of marginal difference between setting the heat to 73F instead of 66F in January.

My weakness is bags and luggage. Not necessarily designer stuff, but of the 'lifetime warranty so you can take it to Africa for safari some day' variety. I just spent some of the money we got from Christmas on a Tom Bihn Brain Bag because my old $40 daypack was starting to show wear and tear. And it should last far longer than the old daypack did.

I just have to be careful because it would be easy for my luggage habit to cut into my available travel funds.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:03 AM

99 posts, read 102,253 times
I probably spend too much going out to lunch. I love just sitting down in a bbq or a Chilis type restaurant and just having quiet time before work. I've also been into going to Caribou/Starbucks/Panera more, but that's easier to cut out than lunch. When I hang out with friends, it also adds up the food cost. I like going on lunch break with people from work.
Small trips to convenience store also adds up.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throughthelookingglass View Post
I probably spend too much going out to lunch. I love just sitting down in a bbq or a Chilis type restaurant and just having quiet time before work. I've also been into going to Caribou/Starbucks/Panera more, but that's easier to cut out than lunch. When I hang out with friends, it also adds up the food cost. I like going on lunch break with people from work.
Small trips to convenience store also adds up.
I have to stay totally away from convenience stores except for gas.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:46 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
For me it's a trade. I want to be ridiculously cool in the summer when it's 103 or higher outside. Moderation with the heat helps with that.

BUT y'all have convinced me. In this mild winter we are having, it's not costing much to be comfortable so I am.

I will get cuddle duds and keep the heat low if we get a hard winter next year. Gatta have that electricity allowance for the summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living