U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 AM

7,287 posts, read 15,308,150 times

Advertisements

What's in season in the USA still matters. If they have to ship your oranges in from Australia, it adds to your cost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 02:20 PM

18,047 posts, read 17,191,107 times
I just try to grow what little I can. It's usually just beets, tomatoes, and a few herbs but that doesn't take up much space. We don't have any Target or Aldi around here. Some organic is starting to show up in the grocery store though. I buy frozen blueberries and since they are the small, wild kind, I don't think they've been sprayed with anything. Strawberries are heavily sprayed so I do buy them organically grown when they're in season and I freeze as many batches as I can.

You can usually grow a few things for yourself even if all you have is a small porch or a little area around the edge of the house. That way you know you've used good compost for soil and that the food hasn't been sprayed with anything. I always grow a few tomato plants in big pots and that hardly takes any room at all. Just a small sunny place.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:26 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,819,958 times
If you have room, it may be worth your drive to go someplace and get fresh food and stock up and repackage, freeze, store, or whatever. I don't buy organic, but I love in season, tree ripe fruits and veggies. In the past, I have driven to a farm and bought peas, beans, corn, blueberries, peaches, etc., and prepared it for long term storage. I used to can, but haven't done that in years since the standards have changed. I still like to freeze food and dehydrate it.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:28 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,819,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just try to grow what little I can. It's usually just beets, tomatoes, and a few herbs but that doesn't take up much space. We don't have any Target or Aldi around here. Some organic is starting to show up in the grocery store though. I buy frozen blueberries and since they are the small, wild kind, I don't think they've been sprayed with anything. Strawberries are heavily sprayed so I do buy them organically grown when they're in season and I freeze as many batches as I can.

You can usually grow a few things for yourself even if all you have is a small porch or a little area around the edge of the house. That way you know you've used good compost for soil and that the food hasn't been sprayed with anything. I always grow a few tomato plants in big pots and that hardly takes any room at all. Just a small sunny place.
I grow herbs, peppers and tomato plants in my flower beds. I had blueberry plants in with my landscaping shrubs at the last house.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:16 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,239,778 times
Default Why we buy organic is not for us but for the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don't care so much for organic but rather it must be fresh. Some fruits and vegetables don't need to be organic. I think banana is one of them.
Well, it depends upon why you are or are not buying organic.

We are over 65 and not worried, personally, so much about pesticide damage to our bodies, frankly.

But we "do" care about Planet Earth and her future. We want to support farming methods that eschew use of herbicides, pesticides and chemicals for the sake of future generations. But we also think about the farm workers who must be exposed to toxins in conventional farming.

So, it' depends upon what you care most about. Saving money or these things.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
What's in season in the USA still matters. If they have to ship your oranges in from Australia, it adds to your cost
And is not good for the environment: fuel is burned or used to transport food from so far away. Global warming!

Old 01-31-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

You didn't read my post, I guess. I said I cannot do that, grow things. Just trust me on this but thanks for the suggestion, I do understand what you are saying.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
using "inexpensive organic " in a sentence creates an oxymoron.
True! <ss> Should have said, "less expensive".

Old 01-31-2017, 07:51 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,856,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

In all my years purchasing produce for institutions, I do not ever remember seeing oranges imported from Australia in the US. Nearly all oranges in the US are grown in the US and Mexico although some orange pulp comes in from South America.

Since oranges hold well in cold storage, I do not understand why they would be imported.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:59 PM

7,287 posts, read 15,308,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In all my years purchasing produce for institutions, I do not ever remember seeing oranges imported from Australia in the US. Nearly all oranges in the US are grown in the US and Mexico although some orange pulp comes in from South America.

Since oranges hold well in cold storage, I do not understand why they would be imported.
I see them once in a while during Northern Hemisphere summer. I'm guessing some produce importer got a really good deal on them.

While California is growing more clementines these days, IMO, they don't taste as good as the ones you can get from Spain in non-medfly years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or