U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:26 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,200,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Thank you. Can I ask what area you live in in California? I watched the 49ers play at Sierra College while I attended there way back
Then worked for Montana and Rice when they owned Powerburst. Only met them once
nice to meet you.

I live in sacramento so im not too far away from sierra college. I am a niner fan but they're pissing me off big time.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,435,467 times
First off I always think it bizarre when someone literally lists their assets and expenditures, so weird. But anyway... I like being frugal and not wasting money, quite easy really. And no, I'm far from poor.

Just where did you read that the frugal forum people are poor? Odd.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Who exactly is "They" in this case?

Old 01-30-2017, 11:52 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,616,536 times
There are a wide range of incomes on frugal sites.

I get the impression that people are worse off when they seem to not know anything about investing money and focus on the dimes instead of the dollars.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:13 PM

33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
compared to the rest of the forum

Do you agree? Do you have any savings/401K, Roth, IRA etc..and/ or do you own a home?

Are you on your way to a secure retirement or a retirement that will at least, meet your basic needs?

Just curious
Who are "they" who said so? And no, I don't agree. Most people who frequent here are smart. They DO have home, savings, 401K, IRA etc... BECAUSE they have a great sense of budgeting, and spend less than they earnt.
Others come here to learn those ways.
Spenders, who don't have much, except debts seem not to be interested in frugal living.
Even those who make a good income each year and spend it all, are not getting wealthier. They are just living high. Wealth is what you accumulate, not what you spend.

FYI: there are many extremely wealthy people who choose to live frugally. One of the main reasons why they are wealthy, and maintain it, is that they are living frugally, saving carefully, and living below their means.
7 billionaires who are frugal - Business Insider
15 frugal billionaires who live like regular people

Old 01-30-2017, 12:28 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
I retired at 53 fully intending to get a new job. But the economy decided that wasn't going to happen. I do pick up a McJob every now and then. I have most of what I need and some of what I want. Really, nothing changed, if you have time to do what you want, you don't have money and if you have the money, you don't have time! If I had more money, I would do a lot more and I am not averse to working but the salaries are so poor and the benefits are non-existent to the point where it's not really worth showing up!

I am glad now I learned how to be poor when I was a student. It still serves me well! I miss having more money but I can still get along just fine. I started thrift shopping when I still had my real job. It just made sense. I have always been a shopper and I look for deals.

One thing I can say for sure is I couldn't do this if my home wasn't paid for!!!

Old 01-30-2017, 01:51 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
The Millionaire Next Door has a lot to say about how many people became millionaires by being frugal.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:58 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,724,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
First off I always think it bizarre when someone literally lists their assets and expenditures, so weird. But anyway... I like being frugal and not wasting money, quite easy really. And no, I'm far from poor.

Just where did you read that the frugal forum people are poor? Odd.
I agree. I would not post all that kind of private info. TMI

About whether or not someone who is poor posts to the Frugal forum. I would call it just some kind of drive-by topic or what, just an odd question to me. That's just my .02 to this topic.

I personally don't care what others have or do not have. I generally read this forum to learn from others. I'm middle class, and I won't list my assets. And I do like to be frugal within reason.

Last edited by maus; 01-30-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-30-2017, 02:00 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Frugality isn't just for the poor. It's also a way to hold on to your money so you can use it for your best interests. Most frugal people I know are comfortable and can meet needs and wants. They aren't the people out showing off their belongings. These people are often low key and could appear to be poor and just live a lifestyle well below their means. A rich person can be really frugal too. They find a way to blend in with the crowd.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:46 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,003,976 times
My sister, who had high paying positions, always used coupons & I asked her why, when she had the money, would she do that?

I'll never forget what she said. "What I save goes toward my fun fund. So why would I want to give away money I can use to stores?" Made sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living