U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 06:02 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Man, the incredible BS America is now! Not even rainwater to purify? What if you bought land in near desert areas, like NV or TX? F them, - whose goes to check PRIVATE PROPERTY ANYWAY? Why, does the GOV do checks on what your doing on Private Property?
LOL... 'now'? The rain-collecting laws have actually eased in recent years. The restrictive laws are based the concept of prior appropriation water rights, which dates back to the mid-19th century. In arid areas (ie, almost he entire western United States) water use rights were generally unconnected to land ownership. The problem was that a single landowner in a critical location could essentially deny water to a large area, and this would have widespread detrimental effects. Limiting rainwater collection is no different than limiting water usage from a stream (which would be rather important if you relied on stream-water than flowed into your property from someone else's, no?).

The idea at back in the 'good ol' days of yore before the world went to hell in a hand-basket, a person could durn-well do whatever they wanted with their rainwater!' is nothing but a fantasy.

As for now, the most restrictive state on rainwater collecting is Colorado, which limits homeowners to two barrels with a total capacity of 110 gallons - which should be plenty for any off-grid household use.

Quote:
America today is OVER REGULATED. AND TRUMP IS GETTING RID OF SOME STUPID REGULATIONS TOO!
Again with the 'today' nonsense and the flat-out wrong idea that water laws are more restrictive than in the past.

And if you think Trump is going to get rid of state water-usage laws, then you've got another think coming.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 06:20 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
I think that a big part of this is population-density. If you are in an area with less than 10 people per square mile, than code enforcement is relaxed.

In my state, 'camps' are popular. A camp could be a gravel pad for an RV to park on, or a log cabin, a barn, an A-frame, etc. A camp has no 'permanent' structure, meaning no stone or concrete foundation. If your camp eventually in 40 years burns down and gets reabsorbed into the forest, if there is nothing to permanently show it was once a dwelling. Camps are also not supposed to be for year-round dwelling.

Camps do not require a building permit. Camps are often just visited on weekends, or lived in seasonally. Sometimes old camps get upgraded and people do live in them year-round, the whole building code thing is grandfathered.

Around here having an engineer test your soil and design a septic system to support a residence, is a prerequisite to a building permit. To get a permit to build a permanent dwelling, you need a septic design first. I have been told that you do not have to ever build the septic system though. Instead of a complete septic system, you could later use a composting toilet or septic digester system.

As for wells, the well driller puts in wells and then files a form to the government afterwards. You do not have to get a permit to have a well.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:59 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Quote:
........ TRUMP IS GETTING RID OF SOME STUPID REGULATIONS TOO!
Maybe so, but he is not going to make it legal for you to live anywhere you want without a sewage handling system.

Trump is heavily involved in real estate so the chances that he will pass any federal legislation outlawing building codes are just about less than zero.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:58 PM

5,473 posts, read 8,162,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Rural property can be expensive. Check out what a septic system and water well would cost. You may abandon the idea.

Been there, done that.
Septic systems can run from ~$750 (small one for my buddies cabin) to ~$2500 for a larger one.
Around here less than $2k is HARDLY expensive.

No need for a well.
I do water collection from my roof.
Gutters, some PVC to my cisterm.
I went a little more expensive (concrete cistern) but many people use several of those $50 or less ICB totes of 250-300gal.

2k gal cistern, hasn't gone dry yet.

Eta: I wouldn't live in a state that tried to tell me it wasn't my water, and here over 10 acres = no zoning at all. (Including septic) If it gets onto another's property THEN you have issues.
So long as it doesnt....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or