U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:03 PM

20,369 posts, read 25,533,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Actually, I notice whenever name brand stuff is on sale, it's cheaper than the generic store brand. At least by me it is.

Generic TP is pretty awful.
That is true. If a store has BOGO it is always, in my experience, cheaper than the generic.

Any toilet paper is bad if it is one ply…even Scott.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 05:25 PM

711 posts, read 390,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Good to know about Aldi chocolate. The Trader Joe 1 pound chocolate bar is also pretty good.
I've heard Trader Joe's 1 lb chocolate bar is good. I'm too afraid to buy a pound of chocolate at one time.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:14 AM

69,422 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I don't. The only item I buy, not store brand is mayo. It's got to be Hellman's.
love Hellman's but have to admit I will even buy store brand mayo or Kraft if it is a good deal, like a few days ago. I had a $ off coupon for Kraft and it was on sale for 2 jars $4. I did buy them. I also buy Aldi's because it as close to Hellman's as any I have used. I do, usually buy Hellman's.

For us it boils down to quality for the price. Someone mentioned liquid dish soap: I have never found it inferior to name brands. Paper products, yes. This is where our Sam's shopping comes in.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:41 AM

24 posts, read 9,195 times
Depends on the product honestly. I've bought the store brands of greek yogurt for example, and they taste no different than a big name like Chobani. Granted its the plain version which is all pretty much the same, but $.69 normally versus $1 per cup. I eat one everyday at lunch so generics do save a lot over time.

Other products like a frozen pizza or soup, I stick with a more recognized name, or healthier brand (Amys) than cheaper ones due to the ingredients used.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:31 AM

3,684 posts, read 1,787,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
For store brand cereal, some are OK, although usually name brand is better. The quality of "their" cereal really varies from store to store.

I have had good luck with store brand potato/tortilla chips. Target's are good. One local supermarket's "brand" of chips says that they're made for them by Utz, and they're just as good as the "real" Utz products.

Other store brand things I will buy:
organic milk, creamer
organic butter
canned veggies
Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin

Store brands I won't buy:
yogurt
coffee
frozen waffles (only Eggos will do!)
cheese
1. What's the name of that supermarket chain? I'm an Utz devotee in Herr's country, and I'd love to find Utz chips for less than Utz charges for them (though I can usually find Utz chips on sale somewhere whenever I want some).

2. I'm a big old cheesehead, and I've never had any issues buying store brand cheese either for snacking or as an ingredient. Someone else upthread noted that store brand cheeses are usually packaged in the same factories where the name brands are produced. I certainly have a hard time telling ShopRite New York State Cheddar apart from McCadam or Cabot; I do think Cabot's Vermont cheddar is a notch or two above ShopRite's but not so much so as to justify my paying double for it. (I will buy it when it's on sale, though.)

The one name brand Cheddar I will snap up if I see it is Tillamook, from Oregon. It used to be more widely available in the Philadelphia area, but the dairy cut back its distribution. The last time I saw it hereabouts was at a natural/organic foods supermarket in Chestnut Hill, and it's not worth it for me to go that far out of my way just for cheese - or mayonnaise, for that matter: I met a Southerner who turned me on to Duke's and will now buy only that brand. Fortunately for me, a small neighborhood grocery located where I transfer from the subway to the bus home often carries it and periodically runs sales.

I think a good general rule of thumb is: The less the product is processed, the more likely it is that the difference between the store brand and the national brand will be negligible or nonexistent. I generally have had good experiences, for instance, with store brand canned soups, but I could tell the difference between America's Choice (RIP) chunky New England clam chowder and Campbell's Chunky. Again, the national brand here was better, but not so much so that I felt compelled to pay more for it.

Ironically, I tend to prefer private label cream cheese to Philadelphia Brand, which I find a little saltier than I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I agree about cleaning products. Expect for bleach or bleach-spray and glass cleaner, I don't think I have any generic cleaning products.
There's a dollar store chain near me that carries a line of cleaning products called "LA's Totally Awesome" that IMO live up to their name. They make an all-purpose cleaner that they recommend you dilute that cleans a wide variety of stains; it comes in a spray bottle and I usually use it full strength.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:34 AM

69,422 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
1. What's the name of that supermarket chain? I'm an Utz devotee in Herr's country, and I'd love to find Utz chips for less than Utz charges for them (though I can usually find Utz chips on sale somewhere whenever I want some).

2. I'm a big old cheesehead, and I've never had any issues buying store brand cheese either for snacking or as an ingredient. Someone else upthread noted that store brand cheeses are usually packaged in the same factories where the name brands are produced. I certainly have a hard time telling ShopRite New York State Cheddar apart from McCadam or Cabot; I do think Cabot's Vermont cheddar is a notch or two above ShopRite's but not so much so as to justify my paying double for it. (I will buy it when it's on sale, though.)

The one name brand Cheddar I will snap up if I see it is Tillamook, from Oregon. It used to be more widely available in the Philadelphia area, but the dairy cut back its distribution. The last time I saw it hereabouts was at a natural/organic foods supermarket in Chestnut Hill, and it's not worth it for me to go that far out of my way just for cheese - or mayonnaise, for that matter: I met a Southerner who turned me on to Duke's and will now buy only that brand. Fortunately for me, a small neighborhood grocery located where I transfer from the subway to the bus home often carries it and periodically runs sales.

I think a good general rule of thumb is: The less the product is processed, the more likely it is that the difference between the store brand and the national brand will be negligible or nonexistent. I generally have had good experiences, for instance, with store brand canned soups, but I could tell the difference between America's Choice (RIP) chunky New England clam chowder and Campbell's Chunky. Again, the national brand here was better, but not so much so that I felt compelled to pay more for it.

Ironically, I tend to prefer private label cream cheese to Philadelphia Brand, which I find a little saltier than I like.

There's a dollar store chain near me that carries a line of cleaning products called "LA's Totally Awesome" that IMO live up to their name. They make an all-purpose cleaner that they recommend you dilute that cleans a wide variety of stains; it comes in a spray bottle and I usually use it full strength.
When it comes to cheese, I just want to make sure it is cheese and not simply a cheese product. Otherwise I don't really care. I do like Philadelphia cream cheese better than store brands, but like the way Aldi's spreads better. As for soups I almost always make my own, but am not particular about brands. I personally do not eat much soup but hubby could be a street person. He would just go from one soup kitchen to another; he loves any soup. I think if it was left over dish water he would eat it and love it. When name brands are on sale and I have coupons of course we buy the name brand, otherwise we just get whatever.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:29 PM

7,299 posts, read 15,326,162 times
Today's Whole Foods bag, all 365 store brand items:

loaf of sliced sandwich bread
package of flour tortillas made in New Mexico
4 liters of coconut water

I know that the coconut water is in the twee-woo realm in some ways, but it really does help ward off the migraines I often get when I run outdoors in warm to hot weather.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:32 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,473,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

For us it boils down to quality for the price. Someone mentioned liquid dish soap: I have never found it inferior to name brands. Paper products, yes. This is where our Sam's shopping comes in.
I find a lot of the discount dish soaps are fairly diluted and watery, and one must use twice as much, if not more. Target's house brand is pretty good, but some are a step above slightly soapy water.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:03 AM

3,013 posts, read 1,822,154 times
Well, I love to shop at Aldi, so that probably answers the questions about whether or not I buy generics.

I also buy lots of generics at Food Lion, which is the main grocery store that I shop at.

I do find that some products are better when you buy the name brand...

For example, I don't mind generic bread, necessarily, but I do think the name brand stuff is better.

I don't eat mayonnaise, but my husband says the name brand stuff is better.

Generic steak sauce is fine, but sometimes the bottle that looks like A1 actually tastes like Heinz 57, so I have to be careful about that.

Quote:
Yes...I LOVE LA's Totally Awesome! Their all-purpose cleaner/degreaser works wonders for just about everything, and their spray-on laundry pre-wash stain remover works better than anything I have ever tried.

I agree with others that some of the really cheap dish detergent isn't any good. I've found that Gain is worth the cost at Dollar General...it's cheap, smells good and works great.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:38 AM

1,102 posts, read 728,500 times
Quote:

The chain is Weis, which I believe is probably in the Philly area, so you should be able to check them out, hopefully.

As for cheese, I'm just extra-cautious now, because there is one store I shop at a lot (it's not Weis, but another large chain) that has TERRIBLE store brand cheese that's noticeably inferior to name brand. I have tried their feta and parmesan, and they were just gross and ended up getting tossed. I'm also a cheesehead, so it was upsetting to end up with crappy cheese. To be fair, some stores like Target, have generic cheese that is acceptable, and that I will buy occasionally, but name brand cheeses (like the Kerrygold cheeses) are just much better imo, to the point where I don't mind spending a couple bucks more for better quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or