U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,505,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
While I will splurge on Talenti gelato for special occasions, our 'everyday' ice cream is the organic Publix Greenwise brand that seems to show up as a gallon (2x half gallon packages) for $8 promotion every 3-5 weeks.

IMO, the better line of grocery store brand ice creams are often a lot better than Breyers and the like.
I do not believe all ice cream taste the same. Haagen Dazs is the best. However, I do like Eddy's reduced calorie slowly churned ice cream. I cannot be trusted. I buy a couple of the small ones and that it is it for the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
You've never seen store brand spaghetti sauce? That's interesting. I see it everywhere. I've tried lots of brands, and like I said, I add a lot of stuff to them, so they're mostly fine with me, as long as they aren't sweet. I've tried some here and there that were "sweet," and I didn't like them as much, but I can't remember which ones right now.

Also, Del Monte spaghetti sauce comes in a can for like $0.75-$1 at most grocery stores. That's all my mom used growing up. It's not bad.
That is cheap. Tomorrow I am going to check. Perhaps my eyes just goes to Prego. I thought it was just Prego and Ragu. Prego is $1.99.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:43 PM

69,344 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not believe all ice cream taste the same. Haagen Dazs is the best. However, I do like Eddy's reduced calorie slowly churned ice cream. I cannot be trusted. I buy a couple of the small ones and that it is it for the week.
I so agree, of course they do not all taste the same. I do buy cheaper ice cream as we are not that picky and it is must something we want a little of after dinner a couple of times a week, but there is a lot of difference between cheap and pricey ice cream. When I say we buy cheap, not always the cheapest. In fact as much as I love Aldi's their ice cream sucks.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I so agree, of course they do not all taste the same. I do buy cheaper ice cream as we are not that picky and it is must something we want a little of after dinner a couple of times a week, but there is a lot of difference between cheap and pricey ice cream. When I say we buy cheap, not always the cheapest. In fact as much as I love Aldi's their ice cream sucks.
Lol!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:15 PM

3,666 posts, read 1,775,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I keep hearing about Aldi's. We do not have one where I live.

Yes, I was very pleased to find the inexpensive chips. I will never buy tostitos again. I am funny about tomato sauce. I only put it on pasta. I do not like Ragu. I have never seen store brand tomato sauce. I do not care about pasta. It all tastes the same.
You've never seen store brand tomato sauce?

I have yet to visit a supermarket that lacks a private label line of canned tomato products, including sauce, paste and puree.

You might want to look more closely the next time you shop.

Pasta doesn't seem to vary so dramatically in quality to justify the price differential between one brand and another, IMO, but others disagree.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:25 PM

27,233 posts, read 11,383,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You've never seen store brand tomato sauce?

I have yet to visit a supermarket that lacks a private label line of canned tomato products, including sauce, paste and puree.

You might want to look more closely the next time you shop.

Pasta doesn't seem to vary so dramatically in quality to justify the price differential between one brand and another, IMO, but others disagree.
I think there's some confusion here with some people calling bottled pasta sauce like Ragu 'tomato sauce'. As you mentioned, they are not the same as tomato puree/paste/sauce is usually unseasoned and bottled pasta sauce has all sorts of flavorings and junk in it.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 AM

977 posts, read 818,776 times
I find that most generic brand food taste just as good as the national brand. There are exceptions of course based on my personal preference.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:28 AM

19,045 posts, read 10,073,270 times
I am pretty much always willing to try generics but I won't keep buying them if I don't like them. One example - supermarket brand cereal. I've always been disappointed. I do get those Maltomeal bags, and they are fine but Kroger brand or whatever never taste good IMO. My son likes that "Mom's Best" cereal brand, which I guess is kind of a generic? Cheaper than Kelloggs, etc. anyway.

Kirkland brand from Costco is usually good but sometimes not for an individual product. Good thing is Costco will take back even an open container if you don't like it, so it's always worth trying since no risk.

I find generic OTC meds tend to be fine, but stuff like foil and plastic wrap, the name brands are better quality.

And for some things, like Barilla pasta, I stock up on sale and it's no more expensive than the generic and at least IMO, taste better.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:11 AM

3,666 posts, read 1,775,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I am pretty much always willing to try generics but I won't keep buying them if I don't like them. One example - supermarket brand cereal. I've always been disappointed. I do get those Maltomeal bags, and they are fine but Kroger brand or whatever never taste good IMO. My son likes that "Mom's Best" cereal brand, which I guess is kind of a generic? Cheaper than Kelloggs, etc. anyway.

Kirkland brand from Costco is usually good but sometimes not for an individual product. Good thing is Costco will take back even an open container if you don't like it, so it's always worth trying since no risk.

I find generic OTC meds tend to be fine, but stuff like foil and plastic wrap, the name brands are better quality.

And for some things, like Barilla pasta, I stock up on sale and it's no more expensive than the generic and at least IMO, taste better.
I'm going to repeat something I wrote upthread about the word "generic".

A "generic" product is unbranded, just like a "generic" drug is.

Store brands and private-label products distributed by wholesalers are still branded and thus not "generic."

There are differences among - and even within - private-label lines.

Generally speaking, to date, I've found the private label with the most consistently high quality to be Essential Everyday, the label distributed by Supervalu to stores it supplies. Essential Everyday is also the only private-label line for which I've seen coupons offered in the Sunday newspaper inserts - a sign IMO of the confidence the manufacturer has in that line.

Aldi's private-label products are generally high quality, especially their European chocolates, but there is the occasional clunker, like their answer to Cheez-Its.

I'm not familiar with the Signature, Select and Luzerne lines distributed to Safeway and Albertson's-owned stores. Safeway's private labels when I was growing up were all very good, though, so I hope that tradition continues. (Actually, I take that back about Luzerne, the dairy products line; that name goes all the way back to that long-ago era.)

ShopRite's private-label products are all over the map: some are every bit as good as their nationally advertised competitors while others leave much to be desired.

Generic grocery items were a craze in the high-inflation days of the 1970s. Supermarkets back then stocked shelves with products bearing plain white labels and only the name of what's inside ("peas," "corn," "white bread") on them. These were, and remain, the true generics, and their quality back then was noticeably inferior to that of the store brands.

Some national-brand manufacturers, most notably Heinz and Del Monte, produce products for private-label distributors.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:48 PM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Publix has a lot of BOGO's during the week and that's when I buy my Barilla pasta & already made sauce. They had pork chops & chicken breasts BOGO's recently and I stocked up and put it in the freezer. It's just me most of the time and I'm not going through the trouble of making homemade sauce when I rarely eat pasta.

I don't buy a lot of store brand stuff except for non-food items like garbage bags, foil, paper towels sometimes. I won't buy store brand contact lens solution. When I compare the ingredients side by side they are not exactly the same and since my eyes are very sensitive I'm taking a chance using generic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or