Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 04:12 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,081,757 times

Advertisements

If you dont mind using your computer, you can buy a USB TV Tuner Box or Card, or maybe a PCEi TV Tuner card for a Desktop. They can range form $40-50 typically and up.

I have a Phillips and Magnovox DVR, but they are very Expensive now, probably $300+. The cheap TV tuner boxes on Amazon dont seem to last long from what I have read and heard.

Here are a few examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Kworld-Tuner-...s=USB+TV+Tuner

https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-119...s=USB+TV+Tuner

FRYS.com*|*Diamond

As long as you have a good antenna like you would hook to your TV, they pretty much pick up all the channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,895,979 times
Default Magnavox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
$400????
The first unit I bought new from Walmart about five years ago for around $330. The most recent was $190 out the door. It was a return item. A note on box said the original purchaser couldn't figure out how to use it so I got a good deal.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,633,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If you want to watch certain shows, if you prioritize watching those shows, if it's worth it to you to sacrifice in other areas to watch those shows, that's great, have at it, lots of people do and it's fine.

But if you literally think you need to watch certain TV shows, you have far bigger problems than your finances.

The word, need, in this context, is just an expression. It wasn't meant to be taken literally...

But hey, im glad you're concentrating on a certain word rather than ACTUALLY contributing to the thread!

Old 02-01-2017, 01:09 AM

18,830 posts, read 14,019,304 times
IN the acronym jargon of computers, you want a HTPC (Home Theater PC) that includes a tuner or tuners, a program source (Antenna, cable), a recorder (ex: MythTV) and a front end player (KODI, etc).

A nice and friendly reference :
My Media Experience: Best HTPC Media Center Guide

And for the DVR:
How to Build Automated DVR for the Ultimate TV Experience

The only caveat is the EPG (Electronic Program Guide) that 'scrapes' program data from various databases so that your DVR can track broadcasters, program time changes, etc. Depending on the country, that information may be free or fee based.

"Free" PVR / DVRs often suggest that you get a subscription from various services.
Non free PVR / DVRs usually include that with their software. (Ex: TitanTV + Hauppauge tuner cards)
TitanTV
Hauppauge Webstore: WinTV-dualHD Dual TV tuner
Hauppauge Webstore: WinTV-quadHD PCIe TV tuner

Note: Hauppauge comes with its own DVR, WinTV v.8. However, the recorded files may be accessed by other video players (KODI, VLC, etc). If you are recording more than 4 channels simultaneously, you may need to set up a RAID.

If you own or can rent a computer nerd, it's pretty easy to get set up.

Last edited by jetgraphics; 02-01-2017 at 01:21 AM..

Old 02-01-2017, 10:51 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,633,831 times
thank you guys for your suggestions.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:09 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,895,979 times
49erfan916, There is a cheaper alternative called Mediasonic, on Amazon for about $30. I have no personal experience with this DVR though.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:56 AM

8,857 posts, read 11,644,558 times
I gave away my unused DVR about a month ago. I would have given to you. Too late.

About 4 years ago, I decided to use my laptop and an HDhomerun dual tuner as a HTPC. It's a super inexpensive setup (though my main reason was mobility). I already had several laptops. So it was just a matter of adding the HDhomerun dual tuner and a TV antenna. The cost was about $90. $70 for the HDhomerun dual tuner and $20 for a flat indoor TV antenna. I have recorded thousand of show episodes with this setup. Best of all, everything fits in my backpack.

That's another option for you.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:21 PM

354 posts, read 279,167 times
Cliffs:

You'd have to already have a desktop PC and be comfortable with adding expansion cards and installing drivers, but I've had good luck with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 (Newer model: Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe - PCI Express CableCARD Tuner). You can get the newer InfiniTV 6 for $300 or the 4 on Amazon for around $185. I want to say I paid ~$240 back in 2012 for mine. It quickly paid for itself vs renting an inferior DVR from the cable company though as Comcast charged $18 a month to rent a POS DVR and it only got a LOT worse from there if you wanted a "whole home DVR" (you can hook as many used xBoxs up to that Ceton card as you desire, no monthly fee).

Long Winded Review:

I got this card almost 2 months ago, and honestly the only complaint I have so far is with Windows Media Center, and it's a minor one. We have Comcast cable & Internet, and the Comcast DVR was always a source of annoyance. It only had 2 tuners (a real hassle when 2 shows were recording and a game was on), its hard drive was constantly filling up, and with the monthly fee + tax on that fee it was costing us $19 a month.

So I started looking at computer TV tuner cards to replace the DVR. Originally I thought I'd have to hide the old desktop behind the living room TV stand to do this until I found this card. What I ended up doing was leaving the desktop in the storage room and hooking an old xBox we bought used up to the TV. Our router was already next to the TV so hooking up the xBox was no issue. I did have to get a 2.4 GHz/5 GHz dual band router in order to stream HDTV to the xBox without issues since the desktop is using wireless. I really needed to get a new router anyway, with this new router the wife and I can download stuff from the Internet while streaming HDTV to the xBox ... and nothing lags

Ceton sales an extender for $180 to hook up to your other TVs, but you can get used xBoxs on Amazon for $120 or so. We got a X-Link remote for the xBox on Amazon for $21 and the wife and I are very happy with our xBox as a cable box/DVR setup. We already had the xBox so our only setup costs were $200 for the Ceton card + $21 for the xBox remote, but I realize not everyone already has a xBox.

Installing the Ceton card, installing the drivers, and setting up Windows Media Center was very straightforward. Ceton includes a step by step instruction guide in the box. Comcast was nothing but helpful in getting the cable card, which is free. Maybe they're losing too many customers to the Genie and Hopper? Once you install everything you call Comcast, they activate your cable card, and you're up and running.

It's a good idea to download & install Remote Potato once you're up and running. Remote Potato is free software that allows you to access Windows Media Center remotely from other computers, iPhones, Droids, etc. You can access your TV guide, schedule recordings, even watch recordings via Remote Potato.

My only complaint is that Microsoft doesn't allow other computers to act as Windows Media Center extenders like an xBox does. This is not a complaint with the Ceton card, just something that Microsoft should have included in WMC long ago. It's kinda dumb they don't allow you to simply use WMC on other computers as a 'dumb terminal' back to your desktop HTPC.

I looked at DirectTV's Genie and Dish's Hopper and the problem is they require a monthly fee for the main DVR plus a smaller monthly fee for each 'slave DVR'. Comcast has a Anyroom DVR, but it only allows you to watch recordings on the 'slave DVRs' and has a hefty monthly fee. With Ceton's card you get a free cable card from Comcast and that's it. No monthly fee. With the $19 a month we were paying for a Comcast DVR this card is paying for itself in less than a year, and does a LOT more than that DVR did.

Pros:
Storage is only limited by your computer's hard drive, and HDs are cheap
Whole home DVR with no monthly fees, the only option for this I'm aware of
4 tuners
hitting the Eject button on the xBox remote causes our cats to jump, useful for when they're getting in front of the TV

Cons:
You may have to buy a new router if your computer is wirelessly connected in order to stream HDTV without issues
Be careful running Windows Update, I had to run TV setup again in Windows Media Center after one update and restart twice to get live TV working again

Old 02-02-2017, 08:49 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,418,237 times
I hope you get some good answers. That is the route I first tried to go and I didn't find anything affordable/convenient. I ended up with losing some shows. I think they will show up somewhere/sometime between Hulu, Netflix, and Prime.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 AM

267 posts, read 555,369 times
I've been using a Tablo over the air DVR for almost 2 years. Been working well for us - https://www.tablotv.com/

Easily paid for itself in a few months. We also do Sling TV so wife can watch HGTV and Netflix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living