Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:33 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Can't remember whether it's T Mobile or Verizon that have full North America coverage (US and Canada). Can anyone remember?
Verizon has towers all along the interstate system. I-95 cuts through our town, so we have a Verizon tower here with good signal. Towns to our East and to our West do not have cell towers, [and no signal] because there is no interstate freeway in those towns. The majority of townships in this state lack cell towers [and they lack signal].

This summer our son and his wife were here for a visit. They both use I-phones. Neither of them use Verizon, so most of the time they had no signal. Those I-phone devices can use wifi signal though. So in our living room they could get our wifi and use their I-phones, also when we went by any McDonalds or Walmart they were able to use those wifi signals too.

I am not aware of any company that provides "full North America coverage". You drive through 5 or 10 townships without a cell tower and see what kind fo signal you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 06:00 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am not aware of any company that provides "full North America coverage".
I think the person simply meant does it include Canada and Mexico.

Quote:
T-Mobile Introduces 'Mobile without Borders' on Jul 9, 2015.
The first-of-its-kind move delivers calling to both land lines and mobile phones − as well as 4G LTE data straight from your plan − across all three countries at no additional cost. The epic upgrade makes Simple Choice the first and only wireless plan to span an entire continent.
Most of the other carriers have responded to this offer by now. It is only $5 a month for Virgin Mobile.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:50 AM

34 posts, read 23,460 times
Verizon just works in upstate NY, whether in the city or even the rural backroads. When everyone else lost service, I still had 4G service. They all said "you have Verizon don't you"? I wouldn't take the chance of losing service with a different carrier. I switched to one of the newer plans from an old grandfathered one that had me paying $60, the 2gb small package and only pay $30 a month (with a 20% discount for where I work). I own my phone so not paying anything else on top of that $30. Its not expensive in my book for something that will work 99% of the time wherever I wander.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:06 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootopia View Post
Verizon just works in upstate NY, whether in the city or even the rural backroads. When everyone else lost service, I still had 4G service. They all said "you have Verizon don't you"? I wouldn't take the chance of losing service with a different carrier
When did anyone lose service?

What happened?

Quote:
... I switched to one of the newer plans from an old grandfathered one that had me paying $60, the 2gb small package and only pay $30 a month (with a 20% discount for where I work). I own my phone so not paying anything else on top of that $30. Its not expensive in my book for something that will work 99% of the time wherever I wander.
We pay around $38 for two phones.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:01 PM

34 posts, read 23,460 times
@submariner

Back roads outside of the town of Maine. We were on a bus trip. You can hear all the kids moan, "oh I don't have service". One of the staff with AT&T didn't have any service. Its actually surprising since you would think Binghamton is a hub for cell towers from all carriers.

I used to lose service with Verizon every now and then when I lived in Chenango County so there are definitely areas of upstate without good service even from Big Red.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:43 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Don't do that. Back in the day when people primarily used land lines, I switched to a no name carrier and only paid $5 per month. It was strange. I have no idea why it was so low. The lines went down and I did not have any service. I called and called and nothing. I had to switch my carrier back to Verizon to get them to come out to fix my line. The cheap comes out expensive.

I have been with T-Mobile for over 13 years. The service has improved quite a bit over the years. I am going to continue to stay with them. I contemplated Metro PCS but I do not know anything about them. T-Mobile has reduced their prices to compete with companies like Metro such it works for me.
metro pcs is owned by t mobile and runs on the t mobile network. though if your not getting a good signal in your home you can call and ask for a wifi router or a cell spot. they say your required to pay a 25.00 deposit but i did not have to pay the 25.00 deposit. this thing works wonders full bars all the time and not one bar

Old 02-04-2017, 06:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
T-Mobile and Metro PCS are the same companies. lol

T-Mobile/Metro's plans aren't that competitive, given that I have my AT&T prepaid plan going for $40/mo with 4GB of LTE data + unlimited talk/text.
i had a go phone account. my problem with that is that you cannot get a network extender and activate it on a go phone account. now i moved over to t mobiles one plan saving almost 120.00 per year in commieforina taxes and fees since t mobile just ajust there price to include the taxes and fees

Old 02-04-2017, 08:06 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Can't remember whether it's T Mobile or Verizon that have full North America coverage (US and Canada). Can anyone remember?
I use Tracfone because I'm a light talk/text/data user. With Tracfone you can choose from Verizon, AT&T, or TMobile service. They do not roam though. I use the Verizon service. I was thinking of switching to the AT&T service. I looked carefully at the coverage maps where I live in the Rocky Mountain west and Verizon seems to have the best coverage. AT&T has some big holes, such a most of central Wyoming.

I live in western Colorado. I traveled to New England and had good Verizon coverage there. I have done car travel from Colorado to San Diego, and to central Oregon and I had decent Verizon coverage on those trips, even in remote areas.

I think Verizon has the best service overall in the US, with AT&T second best.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 1,254 times
I think it depends on how much talk, text, data you use and where you live matters for sure. I live in Texas, and AT&T works best around my house, but I was recently looking into switching to T-Mobile to save a little more money. One of my friends took a screen shot of an advertisement on Facebook and sent it to me. It was for a company called Teltik - they have T-Mobile service for pretty cheap pricing. The only downside is that it's for business/entrepreneurs. As long as you can show them a profile (Uber driver, Etsy seller, etc.) or give them an EIN - yours or your employers. Has anyone else heard of this company? Just want to be 100% sure before I switch.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather_rs7 View Post
. It was for a company called Teltik - they have T-Mobile service for pretty cheap pricing. The only downside is that it's for business/entrepreneurs. As long as you can show them a profile (Uber driver, Etsy seller, etc.) or give them an EIN - yours or your employers. Has anyone else heard of this company? Just want to be 100% sure before I switch.
The plan prices seem lower than MetroPCS, but there seems to be no subsidies on phones. It might cost you the same either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living