Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:49 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,188,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I decided to shop for a cheap EV to supplement my garage since I don't like driving my TDI for trips less than 5 miles

My wife is now using it as her daily driver and commutes 45 miles to work.

If anyone needs an extra car for local errands, commutes less than 20 miles each way, or can charge at work, perhaps a used EV would be right for you.
So much disconnect in one post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 AM

37,301 posts, read 61,111,691 times
I refilled my gas tank today. 680 miles on 8.66 gallons of gas, so 78.5 miles per gallon.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:51 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,962,448 times
Before you purchased this vehicle did you investigate what it costs to replace one of those batteries that run it? I know that some are quite shocked when they find out that one Prius battery can cost up to $3500 and that they often don't last the length of time advertised. You got a decent deal so you may not care, but, it may not be quite as cheap in the long run as you think it is.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:03 AM

When we went past 100,000 miles on our Prius-3 I was concerned about battery health and longevity. I spoke with the service manager at my Toyota dealership. As it turns out there are no computer codes to indicate battery health so long as it is 'healthy'. The codes only start popping up when cells begin to fail. Our local dealership is seeing vehicles reaching 300,000 miles without battery failure.

Our Prius-3 is currently at around 150,000 miles.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,813,168 times
EVs should be called CVs. Coal-powered vehicles.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I do not see how that applies.

Mine is charged from solar panels.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:07 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,804,126 times
Looking into buying a car and seriously want to take the plunge and go for the Prius Prime. Test drove it and really liked it. The Fed and state tax credits really make it a good deal.

However, I'm concerned that it has no spare tire or donut. It only comes with a tire repair kit as the space in the trunk where a spare usually resides is taken up by the Lithium battery. Which means if I damage a tire in one of the vicious potholes that are everywhere here in MA (it happened before), I'll be stuck. Even with roadside assistance, it's still a challenge getting to/from a repair shop when the car becomes undriveable, esp if it happens late at night. Compared to a regular car, I can put the spare on, throw the damaged tire-wheel into the trunk and deal with it later.

How do people reconcile this... Or do most people have a 2nd car in the family to fall back on so this isn't a big concern for them.

Last edited by mmyk72; 03-06-2017 at 07:16 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 07:36 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Maybe where you live. Mine would be hydro and wind powered.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Looking into buying a car and seriously want to take the plunge and go for the Prius Prime. Test drove it and really liked it. The Fed and state tax credits really make it a good deal.

However, I'm concerned that it has no spare tire or donut. It only comes with a tire repair kit as the space in the trunk where a spare usually resides is taken up by the Lithium battery. Which means if I damage a tire in one of the vicious potholes that are everywhere here in MA (it happened before), I'll be stuck. Even with roadside assistance, it's still a challenge getting to/from a repair shop when the car becomes undriveable, esp if it happens late at night. Compared to a regular car, I can put the spare on, throw the damaged tire-wheel into the trunk and deal with it later.

How do people reconcile this... Or do most people have a 2nd car in the family to fall back on so this isn't a big concern for them.
We have a prius-3 and a prius prime. We have eight tires that fit either one. Each vehicle has four summer tires and four studded winter tires.

No shortage of spare tires.

It is really dangerous to drive in winter without studs in this area.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:49 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post

I think it's a compromise for many. We are 4 member household with a single car. It's not electric, but some of the issues you're talking about still applies. We don't have a "backup" vehicle anymore so if something happens to our car we're going to be inconvenienced. That's just a fact.

Fortunately, I have a 5 minute biking commute (electric bike might I add) to my bank, doctor, dentist, grocery store, handful of restaurants and coffee shops.. even a movie theater... if I ride for 10 minutes I can get to a live theater, library and city hall... and if I continue for another 5-10 minutes I have Trader Joes, Target and a fabulous donut shop, a bunch of hotels, restaurants and other services... basically, the community's entire commercial and retail is within a 10-20 minute ride. I use an ebike for my work too.

I can't wait until my 10 year old hits a growth spurt and can fit into one. The recommended age is between 13-16 and my 13 year old is my height and is competent at using it.

We could buy four of them for under $8k and I bet if we bought in bulk we could bring the price down.

I've had mine for 18 months and the battery is still fine. Not quite where it was brand new, but it doesn't seem to need replacing in the near future.

I'm pretty sure our next car will be a hybrid or full electric. We're waiting on two things:

1) We want the price to come down a little. I'm hopeful as the auto industry is really starting to embrace EV design.

2) We need to be able to do a road trip in it. I live in Seattle and I've seen maps that show that getting to and from California wouldn't be a problem, but I've got family in Minneapolis. I'm not sure if there are enough changing stations along I-90/94 to make an EV road trip possible. Fortunately all of this is rapidly changing..

In the meantime I always carry insurance with roadside assistance. We actually needed it last year... the transmission on our car went out right as we were entering Yosemite Natl Park. We were pretty remote. It did cost us some money, but they got to us pretty quickly all things considered. As long as you make sure you have cell phone coverage (and you should along interstates for the most part) it is okay. We actually didn't have cell phone service when my car broke.. but it literally went out as I was descending a mountain (which was good as we would have been f----- if we had been trying to go up!) and rolled into a trail head that happened to have a pay phone... and it worked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living