U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:03 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times

Advertisements

Glass lenses are very infrequently sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 09:07 PM

11,639 posts, read 5,486,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Glass lenses are very infrequently sold.
I don't remember them ever being a choice. Since almost 30 years now. Maybe they did give me a choice and I just don't remember.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,438 posts, read 50,681,531 times
What I like about the polycarbonate lenses is they don't break if a one year old grandson yanks them off and they hit the floor, and they are good as safety glasses for minor work when things are flying. They will scratch easier, though, so don't clean with paper towels, use microfiber or those little wipes from Costco.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:12 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't remember them ever being a choice. Since almost 30 years now. Maybe they did give me a choice and I just don't remember.
My dad wore them until about a decade ago.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
What I like about the polycarbonate lenses is they don't break if a one year old grandson yanks them off and they hit the floor, and they are good as safety glasses for minor work when things are flying. They will scratch easier, though, so don't clean with paper towels, use microfiber or those little wipes from Costco.
Glad a few of y'all mentioned that. I used to clean my plastic lenses with whatever was on hand.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:35 PM

8,479 posts, read 4,671,298 times
I only wear single focal lenses so I cannot comment on the progressives. For many years now, I've been getting mine from www.greateyeglasses.com. They have a wide range of frames and affordable.

I just went to their website and clicked around to find the frames that have the most options for progressives. Here were the prices (in addition to the frames and other options)

Thin and Light Progressive + $49.99
Polycarbonate Progressive + $69.99
Super Thin & Light Progressive + $139.99
Ultra Thin Progressive + $165.99
Micro Thin Progressive + $219.99

My script is pretty light... so I generally go for the most affordable options for any given frame.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:42 PM

I hate these progressives! I can't see the computer. I can't see on this script where the 'computer distance' or 'intermediate' distance even is.

The GM takes over when I go in there and she didn't answer this. She showed me this is your distance script and here is the + part for the bottom half for reading. I was like where is the intermediate distance?

She didn't answer. She kept saying she doesn't know why I can't see the computer. I need to practice more.

Well, I don't want to practice on something that may not exist. Anyone here familiar with how their progressive script looks on paper?

Where I should be able to see this third correction? Seems like now I have bi-focals not tri, which I was led to understand in the beginning I was getting tri.

Because I really see my computer fine unassisted. They said in the start that I am having eye strain from needing a tiny correction for that part.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:57 PM

just venting on this part: I do not like this GM. She ties my stomach up in knots. I'm sorry they are busy but I'm a first time progressive lens wearer and I have questions and need assistance. I have a call into my saleslady who wears them herself and seems very knowledgeable and doesn't tie my stomach up in knots.

I should have made sure she was there yesterday instead of going in and getting stuck with the GM.

Or rather found out she wasn't there and waited until today to go.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:00 PM

2,728 posts, read 3,696,836 times
I have had progressives in two frames, Silhouettes which were expensive frame- less (made in Austria) . I loved them as they were very light and looked great. They were also transitions so they were costly but I scrimp on other things and these I used all the time. I also had my reading script ( the lower part ) put in some vintage Armanis that I used just for playing organ and piano as I hated having to have my nose in the air to read music.

Now, I had cataract surgery and am going without glasses except for readers. While my doc said that the Walmart readers that I recently bought worked, they were not really my prescription. I am debating whether to have my script filled or just continue to use my cheap readers and then Walmart sunglasses with half moons on the bottom to read. Both pair of Walmart glasses cost me $30.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I only wear single focal lenses so I cannot comment on the progressives. For many years now, I've been getting mine from www.greateyeglasses.com. They have a wide range of frames and affordable.

I just went to their website and clicked around to find the frames that have the most options for progressives. Here were the prices (in addition to the frames and other options)

Thin and Light Progressive + $49.99
Polycarbonate Progressive + $69.99
Super Thin & Light Progressive + $139.99
Ultra Thin Progressive + $165.99
Micro Thin Progressive + $219.99

My script is pretty light... so I generally go for the most affordable options for any given frame.
hm. I wasn't given that first option. My glasses aren't thick I don't really need the polycarb for lightness. I got sold on those due to this frame requiring them and the 'most durable, scratch resistant' thing.

Too many decisions to make at once this time. Do I even want flipping progressives to begin with? being the primary concern.

I'm about to chuck them and get some plastic lenses for distance only. In frames that don't require a polycarb upgrade!

They keep saying I want to keep them on all the time and ok, they convinced me but I cannot see the computer except if I hold my face just so and even that is just for part of the screen, I'm supposed to move my head around constantly to see what I'm reading and typing now?

That doesn't seem right. I've never seen anyone do that on the computer. Maybe a little side to side or up and down action but not what I have to do.

Anyway my new issue is do I even HAVE a computer correction IN these glasses?

I didn't know what forum to put that q in so I just added on to my prior thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or