U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 05:18 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,097,342 times

Advertisements

I had vision insurance and didn't need a new pair of correction lenses so I sprung for computer glasses. Turns out they were 1/2 of my reading prescription. So now I go buy a cheap pair of reading glasses at half the strength of my regular reading part of the bifocals. By the way, I love my progressives, but when using the computer I find myself tilting my head to get the right angle, so I use the reading glasses for just the computer. Go to Walmart or Walgreens and figure out what you need for reading - mine is 2.5, and buy half that for computer. In my case 1.25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 05:30 PM

11,623 posts, read 5,465,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I had vision insurance and didn't need a new pair of correction lenses so I sprung for computer glasses. Turns out they were 1/2 of my reading prescription. So now I go buy a cheap pair of reading glasses at half the strength of my regular reading part of the bifocals. By the way, I love my progressives, but when using the computer I find myself tilting my head to get the right angle, so I use the reading glasses for just the computer. Go to Walmart or Walgreens and figure out what you need for reading - mine is 2.5, and buy half that for computer. In my case 1.25.
Thank you. They are too strong. Even the lowest is too strong fro reading a book or the computer. I use them for tiny tiny writing only. Like on the side of a medicine bottle.

so if I want assistance for reading I need a light script. An even lighter one for the computer. I can see it fine without assistance. Maybe not perfect but it hasn't bothered me.

I might end up with distance only for now and think about readers later. but I do want to give the progressives a chance.

My current issue is am I struggling with something that doesn't exist? I only see the reader correction on the written script - nothing for the intermediate - and I don't find an intermediate when I am looking through them.

I am suspicious until shows otherwise there IS no intermediate in here and I'm struggling with seeing the pc through the reader part!

They close in 30 minutes so I may not get an answer today.

This has been done to me before when I had distance only is why I'm suspicious. I said 'I can't see out of my left eye as well as the right'. The Dr. said I now have astigmatism in the left eye but he didn't put in the thing to correct that I was like well why not?

'Just take them home and see if you adjust' - yeah, I feel for that one before and I don't want to again!

Old 03-03-2017, 05:34 PM

Shouldn't I see three different things on the written script? If not, how could the intermediate be built in by the person who makes them? (or computer, whatever).

She showed me how there is a + amount for the bottom part to make them bi-focal and taking that away they'd be distance only.

I asked where is the part for intermediate? And then she distracted me. These are supposed to be tri-focals.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:02 PM

875 posts, read 652,817 times
A bifocal lens has 2 prescriptions; you can see a line in the lens. A trifocal lens has 3 prescriptions; you can see 2 lines in the lens. Progressive lenses vary across the lens; there are no lines. I wear progressive lenses. You find yourself moving your head until you get your eye lined up with the part of the lens that is in focus at that particular distance.

You need a dedicated pair of computer glasses that is the same prescription for the entire lens. Nothing else will work as well. When you are at a comfortable distance from the monitor, you are looking at the screen with most of your lens, not just a small part.

Like other medical professionals, eye doctors can be difficult to deal with. I had trouble getting them to understand that I like the monitor beyond fingertip distance. They also wanted me to try glasses that rubbed my cheeks, and would try to fit the glasses so close to my eyes that my eyelashes touched the lenses.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
A bifocal lens has 2 prescriptions; you can see a line in the lens. A trifocal lens has 3 prescriptions; you can see 2 lines in the lens. Progressive lenses vary across the lens; there are no lines. I wear progressive lenses. You find yourself moving your head until you get your eye lined up with the part of the lens that is in focus at that particular distance.
Right, but on the written script, if there is not a third one, they aren't tri-focal. How did the makers put in a 3rd correction part if it isn't written on the script to do so?

There is the distance part and then a + amount for the bottom part. She even used the term bi-focal instead of tri-focal, and these are supposed to be trifocal.

She said maybe I'm 'non-adaptive'. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. If the computer distance simply isn't there it was a boo-boo on the part of the Dr. by not writing it in, and I feel like the company doesn't want to own up to it.

She said to practice with them for two weeks. Well, there is no sense in that if there is nothing to practice WITH. I can only practice the reading part.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Progressives are tricky- the top part is your distance, the bottom your reading, and the middle is a weaker strength of the reading part. I have an astigmatism in my left eye and when I first got glasses, everything looked skewed to me. A table looked like it was slanted. It takes a good 30 days for your eyes to adjust.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Progressives are tricky- the top part is your distance, the bottom your reading, and the middle is a weaker strength of the reading part. I have an astigmatism in my left eye and when I first got glasses, everything looked skewed to me. A table looked like it was slanted. It takes a good 30 days for your eyes to adjust.
But if there is no middle part there is nothing for me to adjust to. There is no third correction on the written script.

I don't think it exists in these glasses. The lady even showed me the correction on the paper for the bottom part and referred to that as the bi-focal part. Where is the tri-focal is what they need to show me.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:50 AM

3,701 posts, read 3,994,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
But if there is no middle part there is nothing for me to adjust to. There is no third correction on the written script.

I don't think it exists in these glasses. The lady even showed me the correction on the paper for the bottom part and referred to that as the bi-focal part. Where is the tri-focal is what they need to show me.
I've worn progressives for over a decade. I've never had a third correction recorded on the script.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Is it a tri-focal or a bi-focal with a progressive lens? If it's a bifocal, there is no 3rd script - it's just a way for your eyes to not have to go from one to the other so abruptly. In the past, when they made those lined bifocals, you could almost get a seasick type of feeling when switching, so the progressives help with that.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Is it a tri-focal or a bi-focal with a progressive lens? If it's a bifocal, there is no 3rd script - it's just a way for your eyes to not have to go from one to the other so abruptly. In the past, when they made those lined bifocals, you could almost get a seasick type of feeling when switching, so the progressives help with that.
Supposed to be tri-focal. The reading part is too strong for 'computer distance' or 'intermediate distance' (they use both those terms for the correction that is supposed to be in the middle). I'm supposed to have three different corrections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or