U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2017, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
Reputation: 24745

Advertisements

HMMMM! I would try a different path. If we live long enough, we will all need some kind of bi-focal type lenses but they can be dangerous too. I would start by finding out what I actually need to read and just buy a pair of readers at the dollar store to try them out. You may find these are OK for the computer too.

So far, I have a problem with bi-focals so I am still squeaking by without them. I don't like not being able to see where I am walking and so far that trumps the ability to read a medicine bottle 100% of the time! Don't like driving with them either.

A friend of mine went all in and bought the progressives and she hated them. Each prescription area was so small she didn't think they were useable and they made her dizzy.

Plus all these needs will keep on changing. Try the simple readers and if they work you may be able to avoid spending a bunch of money on glasses you may or may not like. At the very least, I would buy from someone with a guarantee so you can return them if they don't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2017, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,701 posts, read 3,992,906 times
Reputation: 6737
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
HMMMM! I would try a different path. If we live long enough, we will all need some kind of bi-focal type lenses but they can be dangerous too. I would start by finding out what I actually need to read and just buy a pair of readers at the dollar store to try them out. You may find these are OK for the computer too.

So far, I have a problem with bi-focals so I am still squeaking by without them. I don't like not being able to see where I am walking and so far that trumps the ability to read a medicine bottle 100% of the time! Don't like driving with them either.

A friend of mine went all in and bought the progressives and she hated them. Each prescription area was so small she didn't think they were useable and they made her dizzy.

Plus all these needs will keep on changing. Try the simple readers and if they work you may be able to avoid spending a bunch of money on glasses you may or may not like. At the very least, I would buy from someone with a guarantee so you can return them if they don't work.
Jen has an astigmatism, so the simple readers you can buy at the dollar store or the local pharmacy will not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2017, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,701 posts, read 3,992,906 times
Reputation: 6737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Supposed to be tri-focal. The reading part is too strong for 'computer distance' or 'intermediate distance' (they use both those terms for the correction that is supposed to be in the middle). I'm supposed to have three different corrections.
I don't know anyone who purchases the old fashioned trifocals and I'm 65 years old. Check your receipt, it should tell you if you were charged extra for progressive lens.

I returned my last pair of progressives because I was unable to read the gauges on my dashboard. That distance is my "intermediate" one. I was told that it was likely the glasses needed to be adjusted but since I bought them out of state it was easier to return them and buy a new pair locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2017, 05:02 PM
 
11,616 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
HMMMM! I would try a different path. If we live long enough, we will all need some kind of bi-focal type lenses but they can be dangerous too. I would start by finding out what I actually need to read and just buy a pair of readers at the dollar store to try them out. You may find these are OK for the computer too.

So far, I have a problem with bi-focals so I am still squeaking by without them. I don't like not being able to see where I am walking and so far that trumps the ability to read a medicine bottle 100% of the time! Don't like driving with them either.

A friend of mine went all in and bought the progressives and she hated them. Each prescription area was so small she didn't think they were useable and they made her dizzy.

Plus all these needs will keep on changing. Try the simple readers and if they work you may be able to avoid spending a bunch of money on glasses you may or may not like. At the very least, I would buy from someone with a guarantee so you can return them if they don't work.
The glasses don't even help for medicine bottles. I still have to put on drug store readers for that, but drugstore readers are not useful for like reading a book. At all. too strong, or as another poster said, not working for astigmatism.

I have not practiced reading an actual book, for which I need a small amount of assistance. I can read a large-print book with ease.

I've been practicing looking up for across the room and such and down for my phone and other things closer to me.

The issue is there doesn't seem to be an intermediate area. I don't think it exists. It would have to be written on the script in some fashion or the maker couldn't put it in.

When I asked about this, she showed me ok here is your distance. Here is the + amount for the bottom part, that makes them bi-focals. I said where is the third correction for the middle? No answer. Out of time. Come back with an appointment.

If I am wrong and it's in there, great. But w/o it being explained how it is, I can't find it on the written script nor can I find a part of the actual glasses to see my computer through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2017, 05:04 PM
 
11,616 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I don't know anyone who purchases the old fashioned trifocals and I'm 65 years old. Check your receipt, it should tell you if you were charged extra for progressive lens.

I returned my last pair of progressives because I was unable to read the gauges on my dashboard. That distance is my "intermediate" one. I was told that it was likely the glasses needed to be adjusted but since I bought them out of state it was easier to return them and buy a new pair locally.
Yes, the are progressives. There are no lines and I can feel/see the progression through them, the addition on the written script, and the charge for progressives on the receipt.

I got the kind with the largest intermediate distance. Or that is what I asked for and paid for anyway, as I said the issue is there doesn't seem to be an intermediate distance. From what I can tell, they are bi-focal progressives instead of tri-focal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2017, 05:06 PM
 
11,616 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Jen has an astigmatism, so the simple readers you can buy at the dollar store or the local pharmacy will not work.
Thanks, I didn't know that is part of the reason. All I can tell is they are too strong. I don't need a lot of help reading. I can read large-print books with ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 PM
 
11,616 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986
It was explained to me that the 'middle part' is half the added strength of the bottom part and that isn't noted on the script, whoever makes it just knows that due to it being a progressive lens.

I still cannot find a 'middle part' when looking through them. I am good now with looking up for across the room and down to whatever is closer up to me but the computer is impossible so maybe I am 'non-adaptive' as the GM suggested.

But reading is not helped either. Not an actual book. I guess it's the angle. Mine are tilted in favor of seeing distance easily (my primary issue) and she said no, they are not tilted too far.

So, idk. Maybe distance only that I put on my head to see the computer and other things that are closer and cope with that not being perfect. And get large-print books until my reading capability worsens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
18,850 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Reputation: 24285
I've worn progressives for decades. I am nearsighted. I often take my glasses off when I use the computer, or when I read.

If you were told you need correction for computer work, take the glasses back and tell them the progressives aren't working for you. They can remeasure your eyes. If they had them made wrong, they should make it right.

If memory serves, it took a little while at first to adjust to progressives, but I'm talking hours, not days.

I always get polycarbonate lenses. And like a previous poster I prefer Silhouette brand frames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 AM
 
11,616 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Reputation: 10986
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've worn progressives for decades. I am nearsighted. I often take my glasses off when I use the computer, or when I read.

If you were told you need correction for computer work, take the glasses back and tell them the progressives aren't working for you. They can remeasure your eyes. If they had them made wrong, they should make it right.

If memory serves, it took a little while at first to adjust to progressives, but I'm talking hours, not days.

I always get polycarbonate lenses. And like a previous poster I prefer Silhouette brand frames.
What bugs me about her explanation is that I was told when ordering them I had a separate correction for the computer. Not just an 'in-between' the top and the bottom. Sounded like the 'intermediate' or 'computer distance' was more precise for my eyes, and it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Bay Area California
711 posts, read 387,688 times
Reputation: 1502
I always understood that progressives were for distance at the top and gradually changed in power down to the reading part. That is there weren't three separate corrections rather a gradual correction from top to bottom. I could be wrong about that.

I was curious so I googled Progressive Trifocals and couldn't find a reference. I'm not sure if such a thing really exists. I did find the link below which seems to describe the difference between bifocals, trifocals and progressives fairly well. I know it's from a manufacturer but the desctiptions match what I've always understood.

If your lenses are small, it could be that the middle correction (computer, etc) is there but your eyes are having a hard time settling there.

https://essilorusa.com/content/essil...ences_inb.html

eta: here's an even better link that shows how progressives work. I think what I mentioned above may be the case. The intermediate is there - it's possible that you're eyes just aren't finding it and it may be incredibly small.

http://www.perfect-eyeglasses-guide....l-glasses.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top