U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:28 PM

11,769 posts, read 5,573,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
I always understood that progressives were for distance at the top and gradually changed in power down to the reading part. That is there weren't three separate corrections rather a gradual correction from top to bottom. I could be wrong about that.

I was curious so I googled Progressive Trifocals and couldn't find a reference. I'm not sure if such a thing really exists. I did find the link below which seems to describe the difference between bifocals, trifocals and progressives fairly well. I know it's from a manufacturer but the desctiptions match what I've always understood.

If your lenses are small, it could be that the middle correction (computer, etc) is there but your eyes are having a hard time settling there.

https://essilorusa.com/content/essil...ences_inb.html

eta: here's an even better link that shows how progressives work. I think what I mentioned above may be the case. The intermediate is there - it's possible that you're eyes just aren't finding it and it may be incredibly small.

Trifocal Glasses and The Rest of Multifocal Lenses
thank you for so much help and the links. The glasses aren't too small, I made sure to check that, and I paid extra for the type of lens that has the widest intermediate part.

w/o talking to an eye dr, just what I'm experiencing, I feel like that intermediate distance is just not right for the pc. she told me to move my chair up or down and adjust the monitor.

But no matter what I do I end up with my face up looking through the reading portion, which is very uncomfortable and hard to look down at the keyboard.

I absolutely cannot find an intermediate portion. It goes (on the pc) from blurry through the distance part to clear with my face up looking through the reading portion.

If this place made glasses faster, I'd tell them to make me some distance only and let me try those. Maybe I still can. It will just be a slim window between getting them and being able to return these if that is what I decide to do.

They are ok the rest of the time. I am used to looking up for across the room and then down for things closer to me, but reading an actual book is also hard so why have them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 01:41 PM

711 posts, read 393,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
thank you for so much help and the links. The glasses aren't too small, I made sure to check that, and I paid extra for the type of lens that has the widest intermediate part.

w/o talking to an eye dr, just what I'm experiencing, I feel like that intermediate distance is just not right for the pc. she told me to move my chair up or down and adjust the monitor.

But no matter what I do I end up with my face up looking through the reading portion, which is very uncomfortable and hard to look down at the keyboard.

I absolutely cannot find an intermediate portion. It goes (on the pc) from blurry through the distance part to clear with my face up looking through the reading portion.

If this place made glasses faster, I'd tell them to make me some distance only and let me try those. Maybe I still can. It will just be a slim window between getting them and being able to return these if that is what I decide to do.

They are ok the rest of the time. I am used to looking up for across the room and then down for things closer to me, but reading an actual book is also hard so why have them?
I can definitely understand how frustrating this has to be for you. Especially since I know how expensive bifocals have become once you add the "extras" (frames, lens type, progressives, etc etc etc).

Having your eye dr. check the lens may be a good idea. I also agree though with testing out moving the thing you're trying to see. Things like moving your monitor, changing how you hold a book etc.

Obviously we have different perscriptions. I can tell you though that for me, when I first got progressives I had an AWFUL sore neck and shoulders after a while. I finally realized that I was compensating with my body to be in a position where I was seeing the monitor correctly. I raised my monitor and now all is good.

For reading, honestly I do better without my glasses. It's odd because my reading magnification has increased but I still do better without the glasses.

It really sounds like the intermediate is there for you (based on the way progressives are made, I don't think it would be possible for it to NOT be there) it's just that it's so small your eyes aren't finding it comfortably.

When you first bought the glasses, did they do the "interview" thing where they asked you how you best needed to use your perscription? I've been wearing the same glasses for a while now, but I do recall the optical place wanting to know if I read a lot, used the computer a lot, how far away the monitor was, etc etc. I'm wondering if the progression in your glasses just isn't appropriate for YOUR needs?

Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 PM

Perhaps the issue is that my intermediate distance is already fine. It's in my field of vision unassisted. And the reading correction is so small. I can read large-print unassisted with ease and it just isn't worth all this hassle angling my neck to see the computer and books.

I guess someday when that part gets worse I will need progressives or two pairs but for now I just absolutely hate these. I have 'practiced' enough and I hate them.

I'm going to get distance glasses only, although I think I will ask that I see the Dr again before final decision.

Maybe the reader/intermediate portion isn't right. I should get my money's worth on the exam fee to make sure these are at least correct. Or need tilting back some. We tilted them a lot in favor of me seeing distance easily.

So much that I can have my face angled up and still see through it. So I have to angle WAY up to see through reading part.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 AM

1,837 posts, read 991,009 times
If you still have time to return them, I would. Glasses are expensive at physical stores compared to online. Don't think I'll ever buy bi-focals, seems they would be too much of a pain trying to look through the right part depending on distance or reading. Unfortunately, I can't find .5 readers so I bought a cheap 1.0 pair to read small print with and have to get real close to what I'm reading, and I mean real close.

An eye doctor once told me prescriptions are sometimes not centered on lenses properly. At that time I was having trouble making the transition from glass lenses that were superior in my view to what's available today with plastic, so he was giving me ideas on what could be wrong with my lenses. I never have done well with plastic lenses and I've had a few pair.

Last pair I bought was on Goggles4U and again, I can only wear them inside my residence. My eyes don't like plastic. They also sell glass lenses, which I also bought a pair of, but they were made of low quality glass and were as bad as the plastic lenses. Only good thing is the glasses with glass lenses were very cheap, maybe $40-50. They even sent a replacement for free when those didn't work out. Still no good.

Maybe I'll try Zenni next time.

Good luck with yours Jencam.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
If you still have time to return them, I would. Glasses are expensive at physical stores compared to online. Don't think I'll ever buy bi-focals, seems they would be too much of a pain trying to look through the right part depending on distance or reading. Unfortunately, I can't find .5 readers so I bought a cheap 1.0 pair to read small print with and have to get real close to what I'm reading, and I mean real close.

An eye doctor once told me prescriptions are sometimes not centered on lenses properly. At that time I was having trouble making the transition from glass lenses that were superior in my view to what's available today with plastic, so he was giving me ideas on what could be wrong with my lenses. I never have done well with plastic lenses and I've had a few pair.

Last pair I bought was on Goggles4U and again, I can only wear them inside my residence. My eyes don't like plastic. They also sell glass lenses, which I also bought a pair of, but they were made of low quality glass and were as bad as the plastic lenses. Only good thing is the glasses with glass lenses were very cheap, maybe $40-50. They even sent a replacement for free when those didn't work out. Still no good.

Maybe I'll try Zenni next time.

Good luck with yours Jencam.
Thanks. It's possible the eye Dr can fix them. If not, I'm not craning my neck all the time to see things I can see w/o them for the sake of keeping them on all the time.

and I think it's strange that I'm craning so far high up to see the pc screen. I'm using the reader portion that way not the intermediate/computer distance.

I made sure I have time to return them. It's 30 days normally but they extend that for these because they want you to wear them for 2 weeks to a month to adjust.

I do like everything besides the pc and reading. I like looking up (or forward, really, since we tilted them so much in favor of the distance part being accessible) for across the room and then down at my phone or whatever is closer to me.

Maybe I will try taking away all this stuff behind my monitor and using the distance part to see that? IDK. But I really appreciate all the helpful hints!

PS maybe you'd like the polycarb. I do.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:23 PM

I got a new script and the reading portion is correct now but the progressive part makes it uncomfortable to read. I guess I don't like 'working' at reading from the right angle or whatever. Will this likely get better with practice? Admittedly I have not practiced much. I get annoyed and stop.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:38 PM

35,835 posts, read 39,605,743 times
My dad has always hated his progressives, which he's worn for years.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My dad has always hated his progressives, which he's worn for years.
Thanks. I realized I needed a separate thread for progressive issues as this title is about lens material. Now I've been around the bend and for distance only glasses I'm back to wanting to know if I should get the poly-carb on those. And the readers/distance sunglasses.

To your comment, I HATE mine to. I decided to try separate glasses. At a minimum, progressives for me is just too big of a project right now. Maybe another time I can deal with working on those but not now.

Perhaps getting a base-line with separate ones is a good start to that project when I am willing to work on it again. Right now I just want to see!

It's hard to say if plastic was fine for me in the past. They were only back-up for when my eyes needed a break from contacts. But, I do remember I had no complaints about them except that they weren't contacts, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or