U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM

13,477 posts, read 15,090,033 times

Advertisements

When I was an employee, sure. It's not difficult at all. Now that I'm self-employed and have three times as many forms to worry about, schedule C, depreciation tables, eff that. I just spend $100 for the software. It's worth it at that point. For a simple 1040 form unless you've got lots and lots of investments you can probably knock that out by hand in an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 04:00 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,181,370 times
I used to do my taxes by hand, but not on paper. I put the 1040 form into a spreadsheet along with all the worksheets and I would fill it in that way in the spread sheet, have it calculate everything for me, and then I would fill in those numbers by hand into the 1040 form. We always filed Schedule A and D so this helped a lot. I only had to update the tax tables every year but the rest would pretty much stay the same.

The trouble is, every year I would get a letter from the IRS saying I incorrectly calculated something somewhere. Ooops. Sometimes it was in my favor and they owed me money, sometimes I owed them more money. I got tired of that and now just use Turbo Tax.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:41 AM

473 posts, read 285,578 times
Irs.gov is free for most people who earned under $50k annually but there are some age and location restrictions. But, can always print out paper forms/read instructions on irs.gov.

I ran into a glitch on irs.gov's H&R Block website so I did have to submit it on paper for my small business. I didn't have a lot of income last year due to two illnesses & tons of medical bills...website wouldn't take a negative income from the business expenses. So submitted it on paper. No audit notice yet!

I do submit my state taxes on the state Dept of Revenue site or using paper forms. H&R Block website provided free by accessing link on IRS.GOV has messed up my state income taxes EVERY time for last 3+ years. The workflow tries to ********* into transferring your data to the state income tax form for $15 fee but is ALWAYS wrong.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:06 AM

10,435 posts, read 10,017,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I have no reason why you would. I like to though and am wondering if anyone besides myself does.
I did until the year before last. A few years back I started getting royalties from books I've written and the extra tax forms annoyed me to no end. So, I started doing it online. But I wish I could go back to the paper 1040EZ form; that used to take me about five minutes to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or