U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:19 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times

Advertisements

Fixing is one thing.
Unnecessary upgrades of stuff that works fine is something else.

My house is paid off and not everything is exactly the way I like it, but I'm not replacing something totally functional for lame ass cosmetic reasons.

Maintenance, cleaning, and repair is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 12:29 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,056,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Fixing is one thing.
Unnecessary upgrades of stuff that works fine is something else.

My house is paid off and not everything is exactly the way I like it, but I'm not replacing something totally functional for lame ass cosmetic reasons.

Maintenance, cleaning, and repair is important.
Bolded for frugal truth!

Fix any major system that's broken (electric, plumbing, HVAC, structural).

IMHO, living with something dirty and un-cleanable is not frugal, it's kinda self-punishment.

Take a breath and work with someone (your aunt?) to define small chunks of projects that can be done separately. Prioritize them with the ones that will make you happiest first. Save up cash in a separate account to pay for these projects one by one. Start small.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:27 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Bolded for frugal truth!

IMHO, living with something dirty and un-cleanable is not frugal, it's kinda self-punishment.

Take a breath and work with someone (your aunt?) to define small chunks of projects that can be done separately. Prioritize them with the ones that will make you happiest first. Save up cash in a separate account to pay for these projects one by one. Start small.
What is dirty and uncleanable?

Old 02-07-2017, 01:41 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,056,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What is dirty and uncleanable?
I'm not referring to your case in particular necessarily, but living with a permanently stained or soiled rug or furniture would not fly with me. Doesn't need to be perfect, but I'm referring to really gross stuff that won't clean up.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not referring to your case in particular necessarily, but living with a permanently stained or soiled rug or furniture would not fly with me. Doesn't need to be perfect, but I'm referring to really gross stuff that won't clean up.
The carpet is stained. I do hate it. Multiple steam cleanings have not removed them.

Floors being last when remodeling is the problem.. I would have already replaced them if that were not the case.

But responding to someone else's post caused me to wonder how much cheap sticky-floors would cost. If they are cheap enough, it won't matter later if they get ruined when other things are done, and it won't be a huge ouchie to replace again with the floors I really want.

I have a friend with the cheap sticky floors and they don't look bad, they just won't last long. In my case hopefully I wouldn't need them to.

For me it would make a huge difference and I'd enjoy my home a lot more.

It's the upgrades that need to come first I am not happy to give money for at this time. Not with 2/3 of my mortgage payment going to interest. that just burns me up. A lot of people don't care about interest on their mortgage but I care about interest on anything. I think it's a crazy waste of money unless we don't have another option.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Bolded for frugal truth!

I did. And then floors were slated for LAST which is the biggest thing, and far away financially after the other things, , so I said ef it and shaved years off my mortgage and a lot of interest.

Starting over, maybe with sticky-floors.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:53 PM

15,561 posts, read 9,588,275 times
Ok-if I'm reading this right, it'll be at least 5 yrs to pay it off; then you'll start fixing up.

If you can live in a place you apparently hate for 5 yrs, more power to you. Financially probably a good idea.

Me? Couldn't do it. That's my home. I'd at least paint the walls, splurge on an area rug, just something relatively cheap to just make it more pleasant.

Money/investing is only part of living.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Ok-if I'm reading this right, it'll be at least 5 yrs to pay it off; then you'll start fixing up.

If you can live in a place you apparently hate for 5 yrs, more power to you. Financially probably a good idea.

Me? Couldn't do it. That's my home. I'd at least paint the walls, splurge on an area rug, just something relatively cheap to just make it more pleasant.

Money/investing is only part of living.
I can do those smaller things. I meant big things. Like, the bathroom counter is fine, not a scratch, but it is fugly. Marble.

I picked out a beautiful new one, but it turned into a custom job - almost $1,000. Well, maybe more when you include the mirror and such. Has to have new sinks too, as these are built in.

Everything I wanted to do kept growing in price. Getting a new stove/oven/microwave, the contractor here who knows these condos inside/out said hold up - you can't just remove this and put in another. There is no electrical plug, and I can't remember what else.

These places were designed to maximize space. So EVERYTHING is custom/construction job.

They built AROUND the hot water heater. Access was through a laundry cabinet in the bathroom. To replace it they had to cut out part of the wall to make a door.

The inside a/c unit - BIG construction job. They don't make these little tiny air handlers anymore. Took a crew of 6-8 people all day to go up in the attic and build a structure that would hold a normal size/weight a/c.

Before the hot water heater was replaced I needed insulation and ductwork - all those big men had to crawl through the laundry closet, build 'stairs', and then get up to attic.

It is wild! Anyway, every single thing costs more. I could not get a side-by side fridge when mine died. Because the standard size is too wide.

I would have had to pay a LOT more to have one in the slimmer version.

When I have to replace something, I am willing to spend more for it to be better quality or even just something I like more. But it's just too expensive the way things are in here.

Besides appliances and so forth, there is this thing that needs to be knocked down above my kitchen island, popcorn removed from ceilings, many people lower their vaulted ceilings, it needs new windows, I want a storm door, on and on it's like 20K.

So yeah, I really do need to pay off the loan I have before doing too much in here. I never meant I won't spend a penny like for paint or rugs or what have you.

I've already spent a lot.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:41 PM

15,561 posts, read 9,588,275 times
yikes!

well, at least I know what to check out if I ever go condo shopping!

Old 02-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
yikes!

well, at least I know what to check out if I ever go condo shopping!
Yes! I did NOT know all that before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living