U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 04:58 PM

1,287 posts, read 829,536 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you have put money into the important stuff. It makes sense to try and wait on the cosmetic things. As someone up-thread mentioned, you could always get an area rug for the rooms where the carpet is especially stained. You can find some relatively inexpensive ones at Overstock. Or you could buy carpet squares, is this what you meant by "sticky floor tiles". I don't know how expensive they are, but think they would be less expensive than replacing wall-to-wall, plus then you could swap out squares if any bits of it get stained again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 09:02 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,821,235 times
If you have the right attitude, then what you are doing is fine. You need to enjoy life along the way too. That five, ten year plan may never come to fruition. I think some paint and stain might upgrade the look of your place without a lot of cost. Freshly painted walls can really cheer up a place. If your floors are concrete, you could stain them. This may not be what you want permanently. You only get one life. Make it a happy one.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:44 PM

21,026 posts, read 25,829,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
......... I decided to get price for sticky floors in the meantime. My friend got them and they look fine. won't last long, but mine don't need to.
How handy are you? I put in pine plank floors. The wood is about $1 per board foot and the paper to go under it isn't too expensive.

You have to find dry wood, then it sits in your house to acclimate. You skin the edges to make sure they are dead straight, then sand, then face nail down with edges butted together. Make sure to keep it really clean and you won't have to sand the wood again. Apply three coats of polyurethane, following directions.

Those floors look gorgeous. They are easy to clean and easy to repair. If you get tired of it, they are easy to remove.

Keep a couple of extra boards in case you need to do repairs. I buy the blue streaked pine and those floors are really attractive. I've seen one done with a lot of the reddish heart wood, and that was really pretty.

The peel and sticks are going to need some floor preparation. They don't stick all that well and don't look good for long. If you are tired of them, they are difficult to remove.

Really, you are better off with a cheap area rug than to put down the peel and stick flooring. My opinion is that peel and stick is for flippers who only need it to look good until the house sells.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:55 PM

6,911 posts, read 3,749,427 times
TrafficMASTER Allure 12 in. x 36 in. Sedona Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring (24 sq. ft. / Case)-260110.0 - The Home Depot

I put this floor down in my kitchen. Cheap and it looks nice. Because it "floats", removing is very easy.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:33 PM

11,650 posts, read 5,497,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
It sounds like you have put money into the important stuff. It makes sense to try and wait on the cosmetic things. As someone up-thread mentioned, you could always get an area rug for the rooms where the carpet is especially stained. You can find some relatively inexpensive ones at Overstock. Or you could buy carpet squares, is this what you meant by "sticky floor tiles". I don't know how expensive they are, but think they would be less expensive than replacing wall-to-wall, plus then you could swap out squares if any bits of it get stained again.
I meant the sticky floors that end up looking like linoleum. I thought that was going to look terrible in a friend's house but it doesn't. If it's cheap enough, it won't matter that floors are supposed to be last. And like you said if parts get ruined when I replace the stove or whatever they can be replaced.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
TrafficMASTER Allure 12 in. x 36 in. Sedona Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring (24 sq. ft. / Case)-260110.0 - The Home Depot

I put this floor down in my kitchen. Cheap and it looks nice. Because it "floats", removing is very easy.
What do I do about the glue that is in the kitchen from prior flooring? And the cracks? I've gotten different answers to this before and I don't even remember. We kind of did a wirlwind through Home Depot and Lowes and looked at a billion things.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:29 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,817,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yes my a/c caught fire my first night here. I said to myself 'Welcome to home ownership!'
The SAME thing happened to us about two days after we bought our fixer-upper.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:50 AM

This is funny. Marble is back in style. My marble installed as the bathroom counter/sinks in 1981 has not a scratch. Only the faucets need replacing. I just don't like the pattern - that is the only reason to replace it.

When the guy from Home Depot was here I thought this is crazy. $1,000 to get a prettier but lower quality counter top and sinks!

Old 02-12-2017, 06:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Living in a "crap condo" with concrete floors and ruined carpet for 16-years before paying prices driven-up by 16-years of inflation to then make it more livable - is strange, to say the least.

To most, the concept of a 'fixer-upper' is to use the money one saved by paying less for the property - to fix it up to suit their own tastes. I suppose, if you live there alone and don't impose these bizarre conditions on others, it is your own business. But, in a sense, you are living like a hoarder.
It sounds to me like the OP hasn't considered the increase in the cost of materials as years go by or the possibility he will need to more for some reason. Not to mention a home, regardless of the size is meant to be a happy place, a place to relax and a place to have friends in. That is pretty hard to do if you live in a crappy, run down place that needs a lot of work

I do agree, it is everyone's choice to make, but I just can't see the wisdom in what the OP is doing?

Old 02-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Yes and sometimes it's not my choice. I might be about to buy two new windows. maybe 3. Downstairs floods when it rains. A little camera was stuck in and it's coming from here. Undetermined whether that is on the HOA for not sealing the part they are supposed to or if it's mine.

So I always have to have set-aside for stuff like this.

One more reason to want that downstairs! Yes it will suck dealing with crap from upstairs, but the way it is now it's always me that needs to spend, not them.

Their windows are just as old, maybe they leak too, but they don't cause anything to leak UP. Water problems, always water problems up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living