Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Fixing is one thing.
Unnecessary upgrades of stuff that works fine is something else.

My house is paid off and not everything is exactly the way I like it, but I'm not replacing something totally functional for lame ass cosmetic reasons.

Maintenance, cleaning, and repair is important.
That's what I think. Well, I don't think cosmetic is lame, I just think it's financially imprudent at this time.

Especially when truly I don't want to even stay here. I covet a downstairs unit that is already re-modeled.

Someone like my friends who used to flip houses would want one like this. To gut. Which is really what it needs.

Given their age, gutting is the way to go. I don't know that 'rental-grade' is a term anyone uses, but I am sure y'all know what I mean by that.

Gutting and re-doing rental-grade could be a very smart move. And then rent it out and go to a coveted downstairs.

Well, get IN the coveted re-done downstairs so I'm not sitting in the construction. I'd have enough to pay HOA fees on both while that is being done. the team used downstairs had it done in a week and if the market is similar in 5 years, it will rent immediately.

When one goes up for rent here my realtor friend gets 100 calls on it. And the rent is twice as much as my mortgage ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:39 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
the countertops are totally fine, not a scratch or anything on them, but most people upgrade to granite.
No, they don't. Most new homes and remodels still use formica.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times
hopes the OP'S condo fee's includes things like a new roof or if something major needs to be repaired or they might be hurtin

Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
No, they don't. Most new homes and remodels still use formica.
I mean here. Most people here upgrade to granite. I've seen inside many, many units.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
hopes the OP'S condo fee's includes things like a new roof or if something major needs to be repaired or they might be hurtin
Condo fees take care of the outside. I always have money in savings for inside emergencies. It gets swiped and re-funded!

I also have a 'home projects' credit card with a special rate for x amount of time if something bigger than what I have happens.

Not wanting to re-model for looks does NOT = not maintaining/repairing/replacing things that have to be done.

Also many things up here affect the downstairs and I always have to be mindful of that. Especially anything to do with water.

I have to pay for my own AND any damage down there. That will keep one on one's toes. Buying other people's ceilings

I never knew as a renter all the things that can go wrong - I do now!

Old 02-09-2017, 05:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Yes! I did NOT know all that before!
live and learn, eh??

Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
I bought a fixer-upper but I won't fix it up until the mortgage is paid. I don't think anyone agrees with it save my father.

I almost got floors - there is concrete in the kitchen and 'dining room' (one bedroom condo). But I want to OWN that concrete!

So I gave the money I saved for that and a couple other things to the mortgage. Saved a ton on interest. Shaved off years. I figure it will be worth it in the end!

11 years right now if I make minimum payments which I hopefully do not have to do. My goal is 5 years. 5 years of this crap condo and then I can make it nice. And pocket that interest!

Luckily the carpet in my bedroom isn't ruined like it is in the LR. Nor is any of the furniture damaged like out here. At least at night and when I wake up I don't feel crappy about my surroundings.

Maybe I won't even bother with this money-pit. Sell it to someone who wants a cheap one to fix up and buy one already done with the massive down payment of this one paid off. Or fix it up 'rental-grade' and make it into Section 8. (that was the original plan for this place - I was never meant to live here. Fell on hard times and had to)

IDK but I feel in my heart I am doing the smart thing.

I bought a fixer upper also. But I am fixing as I go. I put a kitchen floor down for less than $200. I just remodeled the master bath for less than $250, including tile floors.

Why do you have to live in squalor? You do not have to spend a fortune but you could make the condo a reasonable place that could sell if need be.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
live and learn, eh??
Yes my a/c caught fire my first night here. I said to myself 'Welcome to home ownership!'

Old 02-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I bought a fixer upper also. But I am fixing as I go. I put a kitchen floor down for less than $200. I just remodeled the master bath for less than $250, including tile floors.

Why do you have to live in squalor? You do not have to spend a fortune but you could make the condo a reasonable place that could sell if need be.
I've explained this. You might not have read the post about the things I've already done and that the most needed things are floors, which are last when remodeling, and many thousands of dollars away.

But in thinking on that I decided to get price for sticky floors in the meantime. My friend got them and they look fine. won't last long, but mine don't need to.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,773 times
One piece of advice I will add is to find yourself a really good handyman. They are normally willing to take whatever work they can get, no job too small type of a deal. That way, you can keep an eye on craigslist or other sites for leftovers from builders, or people who have remodeled. You can find rolls of carpet, left over ceramic tile, laminate flooring, etc. I have a friend who got 3 boxes of left over laminate from a homeowner who purchased too much. He paid $100.00. The boxes retailed for $100.00 each. He then purchased the rest over a couple of months to complete his living room. He got the underlayer from another person. As long as you aren't in a hurry, you can piece together materials like this.

I know another person who picked up broken pallets whenever he saw them for free. He would then sand the good pieces down and use them to make shelves, furniture, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living