Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 04:32 AM

130 posts, read 105,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
because the bread the mustard is on is like lighter fluid to our bodies . it spikes our insulin in even healthy people and burns very quickly leaving us even hungrier . it has no protein either or much fat which holds us over because it is slow to burn .

i get enough carbs and in fact more than i should have . i am at pre-diabetic levels down from being diabetic and require no meds , just diet and intense exercise . i run 5 miles every other day and weight lift the days i don't run . have been off all meds for years now with this routine .

each meal needs a balance of carbs ,proteins and fats . mustard goes with food . it is not food .
thank you for your well meaning advice. I used to think like you too, thinking sugar was the culprit of all things evil (it is - simple sugars should be avoided as much as possible), but complex carbs are absolutely necessary for our well being and function. For example, i am a student and i cannot think at all without carbs (whole grain bread is a source of complex carbs).

Type 2 diabetes (reduced sensitivity to insulin) is caused more so by fats than sugar. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15297079

Your diabetes improved mostly because you lost a lot of bodily fat. Bodily fat, like dietary fat, blocks the insulin receptors, which make them less sensitive to insulin.

more info can be found on nutritionfacts.org or this book : https://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Die-D...how+not+to+die

Old 02-09-2017, 04:38 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
you would be amazed how little carbs you need . there are days i eat almost no carbs , just fats and proteins mostly and run my five miles non stop with not one ill effect .

carbs , even complex ones spike insulin levels . i can't even eat brown rice .

i disagree about the fats . in fact i can't eat a plain bagel , the sugar and flour are like lighter fluid to me , but once fat is on it the bagel burns totally different . being at the high end of normal now lets me see the effects of each food when i test . my whole problem is carbs spike me the first hour .

apple with cheese or peanut butter is highly recommended . in fact any fat slows down the burning of most carbs . plain pasta is awful for me , with meatballs or sausage , no problem ,things spike just a bit higher than normal but no where near just pasta would .

Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
......... i just want something convenient to give me energy while i'm on the run, .........
Then invest in a big box of oat based granola bars. Nature Valley does a good one that is fairly cheap in the big package at Costco. Those are vegan and the oats are good for lowering your cholesterol and for being slower to digest, so you aren't hungry immediately after eating.

I make huge batches of oat bran muffins and freeze them for eating on the run, but those do contain eggs.

Put a handful of nuts into a sandwich bag and eat those. You can buy small packages of nuts, but the big package and sandwich bags are much more economical. Also, you can get raw nuts in the big packages and I don't think you can buy those in the single serving package. Take cashews and watch your coworkers stare at you and drool.

I make home made granola. That would be good (commercial stuff contains way too much sugar; I don't want a crumpled cookie). I make granola bars with homemade granola by adding nuts and dried fruit and following the recipe for Rice Crispies bars. Those contain geletain in teh marshmallow cream and I don't know if there is a vegan marshmallow substitute.

Make a huge batch of oatmeal cookies and freeze them in individual packages. Grab a pack out of the freezer and go.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
PS: of you are using a high quality whole grain bread, then your mustard sandwich makes more sense. You are on the frugal forum, so I assumed that you were looking for the cheapest and thus using generic store brand white sandwich bread, which is cheap. Good whole grain bread costs money. I am paying over $4 a loaf for what I buy, and it is not a big loaf.

I can't think of much to spread on bread that is really fast that is still vegan. Hummus, maybe. Nut butter. Or dip in olive oil.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:37 AM

when i was a vegan i ate lettuce ,tomato , mayo sandwich's on toast with garlic pepper and salt . but i wasn't diabetic and would add pasta, potato's or beans as sides .

Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
If you're just gong to argue with people that their suggestions don't make sense to you, while a mustard sandwich does, why post? Just go ahead and enjoy that energy-boosting bread with mustard.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:09 AM

perhaps because it is a frugal forum they expected accolades for living so much on the cheap . but it reaches a point where frugalness turns in to silliness

Old 02-09-2017, 10:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
thank you for your well meaning advice. I used to think like you too, thinking sugar was the culprit of all things evil (it is - simple sugars should be avoided as much as possible), but complex carbs are absolutely necessary for our well being and function. For example, i am a student and i cannot think at all without carbs (whole grain bread is a source of complex carbs).

Type 2 diabetes (reduced sensitivity to insulin) is caused more so by fats than sugar. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15297079

Your diabetes improved mostly because you lost a lot of bodily fat. Bodily fat, like dietary fat, blocks the insulin receptors, which make them less sensitive to insulin.

more info can be found on nutritionfacts.org or this book : https://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Die-D...how+not+to+die
Interesting! Which one of these sources has the recipe for mustard sandwiches?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
PS: of you are using a high quality whole grain bread, then your mustard sandwich makes more sense. You are on the frugal forum, so I assumed that you were looking for the cheapest and thus using generic store brand white sandwich bread, which is cheap. Good whole grain bread costs money. I am paying over $4 a loaf for what I buy, and it is not a big loaf.

I can't think of much to spread on bread that is really fast that is still vegan. Hummus, maybe. Nut butter. Or dip in olive oil.
hummus is a good idea! thanks!

yeah, but even at four bucks per small loaf, it'd last me many meals and still cheaper than one meal bought!

costco sells two very long sarah lee white whole grain bread for five bucks

Old 02-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you would be amazed how little carbs you need . there are days i eat almost no carbs , just fats and proteins mostly and run my five miles non stop with not one ill effect .

carbs , even complex ones spike insulin levels . i can't even eat brown rice .

i disagree about the fats . in fact i can't eat a plain bagel , the sugar and flour are like lighter fluid to me , but once fat is on it the bagel burns totally different . being at the high end of normal now lets me see the effects of each food when i test . my whole problem is carbs spike me the first hour .

apple with cheese or peanut butter is highly recommended . in fact any fat slows down the burning of most carbs . plain pasta is awful for me , with meatballs or sausage , no problem ,things spike just a bit higher than normal but no where near just pasta would .
i get hardcore depression without enough carbs (less than 5 servings of grains per day), and inability to think at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living