U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,821,235 times

Advertisements

How much cooking do you like to do? You could make a quiche or something like breakfast egg cups. Google for recipes. You could, make ahead, freeze, and then microwave at work. Lately, I have been making kolaches. Per special request, I made jalapeno popper ones today. I'm not sure we have any left. They are kind of like a breakfast biscuit with a filling inside. You could also make those ahead and freeze them.

You could also just get some microwavable containers that you can clean in your dishwasher. Get at least enough for three days. You can eat whatever leftovers strike your fancy. Take home. Cleanup would be easy.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM

21,028 posts, read 25,842,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
.........costco sells two very long sarah lee white whole grain bread for five bucks
If you are buying bread at Costco, I suggest that you try Ed's Killer Bread instead of Sara Lee bread. It's absolutely delicious, multigrain, and full of seeds and nuts. Very healthy. Costco sells it in a 2 loaf package.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:17 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,789,579 times
OP, do you not have a dishwasher at home? Maybe you have one at work, here, we do, but of course have one at home as well. Dishwasher makes cleanup of your lunch dinnerware quick and easy. I don't like to do dishes by hand so sympathize with your desire to minimize cleanup hassles.

Banana and apple are hard to beat as easy, cheap, no clean up.

I agree with most that you need some protein at lunch, so often the quick and cheap proteins are loaded with salt and other stuff you don't need.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:07 PM

13,447 posts, read 24,241,058 times
P3 portable protein packs. On sale this week at the 99centsOnly Store for 50 cents. 14G protein, only 2 carbs. And no dishes at all. Meant to be eaten with the fingers.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,950,521 times
Quote:
thanks for the heads up, and you are right. We are what we eat, and we should all invest in our most important asset : our health.

I spend a buttload on buying leafy greens and dietary supplements. i just want something convenient to give me energy while i'm on the run, to last me till I get home to eat my leafy greens, vegan protein, and other stuff. I cut corners only when it is beneficial for me to.

I forgot to mention but i'm vegan, yall!
Okaaaay, now we are cookin', or not. I'm also vegan.

A smoothie is a really nice high-energy meal. Just throw some of your favorite greens into a blender. Add beeries (or some other fruit), nuts, water and a nut milk. Blend and store in a thermos.

Easy peasy.

BTW, I haven't tried it, but I heard there is even a low-fat peanut butter powder that you can purchase from Costco to add to your smoothies. Supposedly, it's tasty.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 PM

33,173 posts, read 39,157,360 times
If washing out a mason jar isnt too much trouble you can get quite creative with your lunches.=
https://www.buzzfeed.com/candacelowr...ROJ#.evpV8zOdV

Old 02-10-2017, 11:52 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,950,521 times
Quote:
thank you for your well meaning advice. I used to think like you too, thinking sugar was the culprit of all things evil (it is - simple sugars should be avoided as much as possible), but complex carbs are absolutely necessary for our well being and function. For example, i am a student and i cannot think at all without carbs (whole grain bread is a source of complex carbs).

Type 2 diabetes (reduced sensitivity to insulin) is caused more so by fats than sugar. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15297079

Your diabetes improved mostly because you lost a lot of bodily fat. Bodily fat, like dietary fat, blocks the insulin receptors, which make them less sensitive to insulin.

more info can be found on nutritionfacts.org or this book : https://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Die-D...how+not+to+die
You're right about the excess dietary fat-diabetes link. Drs. Michael Greger, John McDougall, and Neal Barnard, among others, have written extensively about that.

Just an aside, very inexpensive amla powder, or Indian gooseberry, has been shown to help keep blood sugar in check. This really short video link is produced by Dr. Michael Greger:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/amla-versus-diabetes/

Old 02-11-2017, 06:30 AM

64,798 posts, read 66,270,542 times
i followed the mcdougall eating plan for years as a vegan .

but after 2 years it was nothing i could live with any longer .

i think man did not claw his way to the top of the food chain to eat broccoli . i eventually craved a much more balanced diet than being vegan .

Old 02-11-2017, 07:19 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,821,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
P3 portable protein packs. On sale this week at the 99centsOnly Store for 50 cents. 14G protein, only 2 carbs. And no dishes at all. Meant to be eaten with the fingers.
Those didn't look very tasty to me. I had a couple of buy something get those free coupons for those. I got them since I was buying the other product anyway. No one in my house would eat them. The meat and cheese in that stuff was lower quality than what I normally buy.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:10 AM

4,860 posts, read 3,724,640 times
Last weekend avocados were on sale for 50 cents each. I bought 5 of them. So my lunches this past week was:

1 avocado with salt and pepper.
1 ounce salted almonds
1 hard boiled egg

Frugal, low carb, filling, and delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or