U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:58 PM

7,192 posts, read 5,262,976 times

Advertisements

Every day.

I would spend less frequently but I don't have a kitchen and the tiny refrigerator is useless for anything that might spoil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to ask you: what is a chicken and Waffle place? Is it all one eatery?
It's a place that serves chicken and waffles? It's a pretty popular dish consisting of, you guessed it, chicken (usually fried) and waffles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,342,515 times
Humm, I eat out several times a week. I go to entertainment venues several times a month. I buy gasoline twice a week. I shop online often. I shop locally often. I have regular bills that are paid when received. I have my regular Costco runs. I may stop and buy flowers for the house. I may stop and buy snacks for the office. I may make a run to the drug store for supplies when I'm not feeling well. So maybe 2 dozen or more times a week. How many times I spend money in a week means squat to me, so long as I can account for every dollar I spent And, stayed within the budget I set for myself. If I have X dollars to spend, does it really matter if I spent it all at once or in several purchases? So long as I can account for the money spent and it was within the budgeted amount, that's really all that matters for me.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:25 PM

5,476 posts, read 8,165,528 times
I've had to change habbits recently.

Last winter I went to town 1x every 7-10 days and was a bit of a hermit.
I joked (it wasn't a joke) that you might be a hermit if:
You saw the UPS guy, and (a week later) the next person you saw was.... the UPS guy!

Now I go to the Dr 2-3x/week, and I've had to break my habit of eating out every time I go. (Big difference between 3-4x/month and 8-12!) Snd I'm much more socially active locally.
I also hit various thrift stores every time I go.
I haven't stopped, but I do watch my spending.
Fortunately I fairly often find things I can resell to cover the entire days spending!

Today though, I had to go onto town for 1 item (having work done on the property) while I was in I got gas for my car, and filled a pair of gas cans for my truck (which rarely goes 10 miles from home.)
I however hit the grocery and spent $43 (didn't need to spend it, but it won't be wasted) in addition to the $33 on gas.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:30 PM

5,998 posts, read 6,363,201 times
This is a picture of the money flowing out of my wallet every day.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:44 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,499,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Humm, I eat out several times a week. I go to entertainment venues several times a month. I buy gasoline twice a week. I shop online often. I shop locally often. I have regular bills that are paid when received. I have my regular Costco runs. I may stop and buy flowers for the house. I may stop and buy snacks for the office. I may make a run to the drug store for supplies when I'm not feeling well. So maybe 2 dozen or more times a week. How many times I spend money in a week means squat to me, so long as I can account for every dollar I spent And, stayed within the budget I set for myself. If I have X dollars to spend, does it really matter if I spent it all at once or in several purchases? So long as I can account for the money spent and it was within the budgeted amount, that's really all that matters for me.
That is true. You shop a lot. I have a feeling your budget is a lot bigger than mine.

The days of sporadic spending are over. I have more control and discipline this way. I have come to realize every desire does not need to be indulged at that moment.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
This is a picture of the money flowing out of my wallet every day.

Lol! That used to be me.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:54 PM

11,623 posts, read 5,465,637 times
I go to the store every two days and I think this saves me money the way I do things. If I try to plan too far ahead on food, I may not eat it. So, I get what I know I want to eat and things don't go to waste.

And I don't miss any sales! :-) for some reason this way I also am less prone to impulse buys. I have a short list. I get it, I get out.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:20 PM

I understand. That is why I shop weekly. I try to change it up weekly to keep me interested in preparing my own meals.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:52 PM

2,600 posts, read 1,006,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I have recently starting working on managing my food and discretionary income budget. I have made great strides in reducing the amount of money I am spending on food. I went from eating out for all meals to preparing all of my meals. For the last couple of weeks, I have only spent money on food once a week. It seems to be working out well. I have decided to only allow myself to buy food on the weekend.

I have been doing the same with my discretionary income. I am so annoyed with myself for spending $2.00 on my company's lottery tickets. I could not pass it up. Imagine if we won. You never know.

I would really like to limit spending to once a week. Perhaps twice a week when I do laundry. What do you think?

How often do you spend money on a weekly basis?
Typically in a week my spending goes something like this:
Friday night, take out
Saturday/Sunday - lunch takeout
Saturday or Sunday - buy groceries for the week and get gas for my Prius ($20 per fill up usually)

By takeout meaning, fast food like Chiptole.

The rest of the times, I cook at home. I don't spend on anything else. I'm very conscious of unnecessary spending and avoid at all costs. Even if it's lottery tickets I don't feel compelled to buy it like yourself because the probability of you striking the millions is so small, it's not worth it. We're talking about 1:100m chance to get it btw, so that's why I never do it. I won't win with those chances at all. I can do better in the stock market.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 PM

That is true. I never buy them on my own. I participate with the company. I do not want to be the only one who has to show up for work. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or