U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 PM

28,413 posts, read 2,213,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Curious on the bolded part. Are you freezing the spinach just to use to add to cooked dishes? You surely can't use it for salads. I know I tried freezing whole unopened bags of spinach when it went on sale and it came out so wet and soggy once thawed so I just used it to add to cooked dishes like a spaghetti dish, scrambled eggs/omelettes, stir fries, etc or in smoothies. Now, for those dishes I just purchase the frozen spinach which is much more cost effective for that purpose. But I do LOVE my spinach salads and wish there was a way I could purchase it fresh in bulk and have it last longer.

Otherwise, for OP's question: For the most part I only purchase (in bulk) frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, ground turkey, fish, bagged veggies and bagged fruit for smoothies. I never purchase any frozen pre-made dinners, etc because of all of the salt and preservatives.

I always cook large amounts from scratch (with above as well as fresh veggies when available) and then freeze in meal-portioned containers; chili, soups, ground turkey taco meat, cooked chicken chopped up, spaghetti with sauce, homemade (healthified) cookies and bars.

My WW flour, ground flax meal, flax seeds, chia seeds, dark chocolate, etc are all stored in the freezer because I always buy in bulk and they are not used up quick enough and to also prevent bugs.
I buy the bags of spinach & we eat those for a few days, & then with the tail end of a bag, if we have some left, I freeze it to use in a dish like spanokopitka or a stuffed pasta. I only use frozen spinach in cooked dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 08:06 AM

1,372 posts, read 702,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Please read the small print on the ingredients list.

I have checked the ingredients list: Kartoffeln, 6% Sonnenblumenöl (potatoes, 6% sunflower oil). That's all. What other ingredients should they contain? I don't see a problem with sunflower oil. The french fries are anyway fried in frying oil.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 AM

Sorry for calling KitchenAid inferior. I was referring to a recent product test, but it was indeed not this typical KitchenAid mixer. Sorry for that.

The horrible test result was for a "KitchenAid Artisan Magnetic Drive Blender":

All the three tested machines broke down in the simulated long-term test already in the first tenth of the test. Overheating and ripped drive belts.

Mixer-Test: KitchenAid fällt bei Stiftung Warentest durch | STERN.de

Old 02-20-2017, 08:54 AM

1,467 posts, read 922,040 times
To Lisa

Hmm…how do you make a McRib? Those are one of those terrible fast foods that I like, lol.

Ground pork or turkey, BBQ sauce, Pickles, Onions.Sturdy rolls.

Shape the pork into rectangle.
I bake it in the oven but you can fry it like a burger, just not so its hard & brown. Coat with BBQ sauce and let it bake in, put the patty on the roll and add pickles & raw onion. Maybe more BBQ sauce if you like more.

Tastes better than Mc Donalds and made with real 100% meat. No fillers or soy. I've made them with ground turkey and they taste just as good. For those who avoid pork.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 AM

11,722 posts, read 16,468,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I have checked the ingredients list: Kartoffeln, 6% Sonnenblumenöl (potatoes, 6% sunflower oil). That's all. What other ingredients should they contain? I don't see a problem with sunflower oil. The french fries are anyway fried in frying oil.
Acrylamid - values of up to 10 times the acceptable one.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:46 PM

5,489 posts, read 8,173,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've been using my KitchenAid pretty hard for about ten years. I paid $350 for it back then and it was a good investment. I use it about four times a week, sometimes more.
My mother's been using hers often for over 40 years.

I have the meat grinder attachment for MY kitchen. I've only done 16 lbs at once, but it works well.
KA has a very good rep, the poster is thinking of another brand.

I will buy perhaps 2-3 frozen pizas a year.
Mostly I make my own, but it's nice to have one ready with no prep.

Ice cream the same. Occasionally I'll want some I don't make.

Other than that: 1-2x/year I'll get some tostitoes or something.

This excludes buying frozen meat of course.

I prep and freeze things, and travel to the gulf Coast and bring back fresh seafood that I freeze.... but I don't buy much premade.
Not only not cost effective, but it's poor quality.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:44 AM

69,353 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Sorry for calling KitchenAid inferior. I was referring to a recent product test, but it was indeed not this typical KitchenAid mixer. Sorry for that.

The horrible test result was for a "KitchenAid Artisan Magnetic Drive Blender":

All the three tested machines broke down in the simulated long-term test already in the first tenth of the test. Overheating and ripped drive belts.

Mixer-Test: KitchenAid fällt bei Stiftung Warentest durch | STERN.de
all I have to say is: I put very little trust in most of these studies. I trust friends and family recomendations more.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Acrylamid - values of up to 10 times the acceptable one.

Acrylamid isn't an ingredient. It accrues when starchy food is heated strongly. It makes maybe a difference which kind of potatoe is used, but not whether frozen or fresh potatoes are used.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:14 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,815,190 times
I inherited my MIL's KA stand mixer (yes, she's still living, but no longer baking or cooking much). It's 25ish years old. Works like a charm. I love it. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it's white, and everything in my kitchen is either black or red. First world problems.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:07 AM

11,638 posts, read 5,482,423 times
I like flash-frozen chicken breasts with broth already in them. Take out one or three as needed and cook them. I don't like dealing with raw meat anymore. And that broth in there makes it simpler to cook and taste yummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or