U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 18,923,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I live in North Texas and my neighborhood is considered somewhat affluent. We get a lot of people coming around to garage sales that are, (I would assume) ebay sellers or resellers of some sort. Because it's obvious when they want to buy $20 worth of items for a nickel. Or whine that "nobody is going to buy this anyway, so why don't I just take it away for you, that will save you some time". They couldn't be more obvious about what they are doing. I resell things too, but I don't resort to those kinds of tactics.

We also have tons of people going door to door in our neighborhood, such as roofing contractors, etc. Sometimes as many as 5 or 6 people a day will knock on my door. I complained to the town council about all the door to door salespeople, but they said they didn't care.
Put a big no soliciting sign on your door, and quit opening it when someone knocks.

I never have people asking me to drastically lower my prices when I have a garage sale. I get that when I sell on craigslist but the things I sell on craigslist are usually more expensive than the things I sell at a garage sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 05:55 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 9 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,511,818 times
Quote:

We also have tons of people going door to door in our neighborhood, such as roofing contractors, etc. Sometimes as many as 5 or 6 people a day will knock on my door. I complained to the town council about all the door to door salespeople, but they said they didn't care.
Wow I would hate that. Like Hedgehog_Mom said I would post some signs. Your own house should be your sanctuary.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 PM

27,266 posts, read 11,390,706 times
I haven't been selling much on Ebay lately but I've done it for years and pretty much have it down to a science. Sell new clothes- with tags. Haunt the department store sales get 80-90% off clothes and when you can combine that with a coupon. Don't waste your time with Kohl's brand clothes get good name brand stuff. I used to go to the Ralph Lauren outlet store and I would wait for their last mark down. I would buy men's polo shirts for $5 or $6 and sell them within a few hours on ebay for $28-$30. You need to spend time watching ebay to see what brands are in demand but once you figure it out and you watch for stores that do extreme mark downs you're set. I got two dozen name brand ladies scarves at Macy's a few years ago, it was an end of season clearance. I paid $7 for each one and sold them for $40. You can expand your clothing sales by selling internationally but don't use the stupid Ebay international shipping program, just sign up for insurance with a third party and insure the stuff and ship it yourself.

Other things that sell well...handbags with tags and new shoes. And even though I don't find much profit in electronics stuff on ebay when the local Radio Shack store went out of business they were selling everything for 90% off I bought $200 worth of junk and made a net of $3,000 selling it.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:00 AM

3,210 posts, read 2,818,634 times
Quote:
I live in North Texas and my neighborhood is considered somewhat affluent. We get a lot of people coming around to garage sales that are, (I would assume) ebay sellers or resellers of some sort. Because it's obvious when they want to buy $20 worth of items for a nickel. Or whine that "nobody is going to buy this anyway, so why don't I just take it away for you, that will save you some time". They couldn't be more obvious about what they are doing. I resell things too, but I don't resort to those kinds of tactics.

We get the same thing. People decide because you live in a nice place and have nicer things that you owe them something and you're a bad person if you don't just give it away. The door to door solicitors are the worst. In some instances, I feel like they are casing the place. I have some mulch guys that will come by several times in a week. I'm pretty sure they stole some things from my yard on the day I decided I was not answering the door.

There are some resale stores in some old buildings near the thrift store. They come in several times a day and buy stuff and then resell it in their little store or 'antique shop'. I like to go look at what they have. I rarely buy, but it works both ways. I can ask for a discount or dicker on prices too. I don't have a lot that I really need.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:56 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,621,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
We get the same thing. People decide because you live in a nice place and have nicer things that you owe them something and you're a bad person if you don't just give it away. The door to door solicitors are the worst. In some instances, I feel like they are casing the place. I have some mulch guys that will come by several times in a week. I'm pretty sure they stole some things from my yard on the day I decided I was not answering the door..
Yes, some of them are burglars actually.

Kinda scary.

Police said if you don't answer your door when they knock, they are more likely to try to break in, believing nobody is home. So I always answer the door.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:56 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 9 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,511,818 times
Quote:
Yes, some of them are burglars actually.

Kinda scary.

Police said if you don't answer your door when they knock, they are more likely to try to break in, believing nobody is home. So I always answer the door.

That is sad. Sounds like you should move if you can. I would also add some video surveillance signs. Put some deer cameras up. Get a BA guard dog.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:50 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,860,750 times
Quote:
Does anyone here sell online sites such as ebay, craigslist or sell things in consignment sales? Are your experiences overall good or bad?
I'm a long time seller on ebay (and Etsy, and Amazon), overall experiences have been good. Well at least good enough to keep me doing it.

I don't generally 'flip' stuff outright, I tend more to finding things that I can take dismantle and sell the parts on ebay and etsy. Vintage mostly. Hard to find.

Amazon gets less and less of my stuff as it is geared toward "new". If it has a barcode, or an ISBN I will list it on Amazon.

I've never had luck with Craigslist. Well, I shouldn't say that - I have sold vehicles on Craigslist.

I don't do consignment any more, it is just too much work for a small consignment fee - especially if selling small one-off's like vintage or antique. And the more expensive stuff has the added risk of losing your $$ if you get a dishonest buyer.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:01 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,729,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I haven't been selling much on Ebay lately but I've done it for years and pretty much have it down to a science. Sell new clothes- with tags. Haunt the department store sales get 80-90% off clothes and when you can combine that with a coupon. Don't waste your time with Kohl's brand clothes get good name brand stuff. I used to go to the Ralph Lauren outlet store and I would wait for their last mark down. I would buy men's polo shirts for $5 or $6 and sell them within a few hours on ebay for $28-$30. You need to spend time watching ebay to see what brands are in demand but once you figure it out and you watch for stores that do extreme mark downs you're set. I got two dozen name brand ladies scarves at Macy's a few years ago, it was an end of season clearance. I paid $7 for each one and sold them for $40. You can expand your clothing sales by selling internationally but don't use the stupid Ebay international shipping program, just sign up for insurance with a third party and insure the stuff and ship it yourself.

Other things that sell well...handbags with tags and new shoes. And even though I don't find much profit in electronics stuff on ebay when the local Radio Shack store went out of business they were selling everything for 90% off I bought $200 worth of junk and made a net of $3,000 selling it.

This is great, 2sleepy.

Knowing a niche area on what to sell is key, I believe. I see this as the most important part to selling successfully online (ebay/craigslist) or wherever else. If you know a lot about particular products that people want to buy, whether it is clothes, toys or something of the sort. It's when you know what sells after a decent markup.

As an example similar to the one above, an acquaintance of mine would buy transformers toys of some sort at deep discount retailers. He would mark them up on ebay. IIRC, he would buy them for around 5 and sell online on ebay for about 20 to 25 making a decent profit.

When I sold online, I sold different items and never really zeroed in on the same type of item to sell. I think that makes it simpler than buying a little this or that and not really knowing how much demand there is for it online. Another thing to think about is selling small, light-weight items, so that shipping costs are reasonable for you and the buyer.

I'm not selling anything now online, but I might jump back into it.

Any other good ideas out there to share?

Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
This is great, 2sleepy.
Knowing a niche area on what to sell is key, I believe. I see this as key to selling successfully online (ebay) or wherever else. If you know a lot about particular products that people want to buy, whether it is clothes, toys or something of the sort. It's when you know what sells after a decent markup.

As an example similar to the one above, an acquaintance of mine would buy transformers toys of some sort at deep discount retailers. He would mark them up on ebay. IIRC, he would buy them for around 5 and sell online on ebay for about 20 to 25 making a decent profit.

When I sold online, I sold different items and never really zeroed in on the same type of item to sell. I think that makes it simpler than buying a little this or that and not really knowing how much demand there is for it online. Another thing to think about is selling small, light-weight items, so that shipping is reasonable for you and the buyer.

I'm not selling anything now online, but I might jump back into it.

Any other good ideas out there to share?
I'm getting lazy in my old age but a few years ago I would make the rounds of garage sales and buy name brand jeans, but you have to do some research to know what brands people are buying. I would pay no more than $2 a pair for jeans & would look for popular brands like "true religion" "Lucky" "Pepe" they would always sell for $20 + a pair. Levis are good "if" you can tell the difference between Walmart Levi's and regular ones, buyer's won't pay much for Walmart Levis. I have no idea why, but people don't seem to mind buying jeans with frayed leg bottoms, just photograph the wear and mention it in your listing. Most of what I sell is "buy it now" but jeans are a little different in that I couldn't always predict what they would sell for so I would sell them at auction. I got a pair of Burberry jeans at a garage sale and I thought they were so ugly that I would never sell them, they had plaid cuffs ugh But I put them up at auction and sold them for $46 +shipping.

If you order legal sized flat rate Priority mail envelopes from USPS (order them online) you can fit all sorts of stuff in them and any pair of men's jeans no matter how big will fold up small enough to fit in them, they ship anywhere in the US for around $6. If you sell alot on Ebay you do get a break on shipping fees.

Another trick to shipping is to use regional rate boxes for shipping within the US, again you have to order those boxes from USPS. And always ship what you can first class with tracking in tyvek or padded envelopes, you can now ship up to 16 ounces in them! (it was 13) I think the rate for 16 ounces is $3.65.

I think the main thing is, don't invest so much of your own money that you can't afford to lose it if your stuff doesn't sell, just have fun with it. Be diligent about checking for messages and questions from buyers and ship your merchandise quickly so you can build up a good seller reputation.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
We can't have yard sales anymore because of people coming by wanting things for free, and refusing to buy anything at all. It is a rampant problem in this neighborhood and our neighbors have the same problem. I suspect most of these people are re-sellers on amazon, ebay and such. At my last garage sale, I had with a friend, she was selling all these brand new CDs, still in their sealed wrap. One guy came along and asked if he could buy them for 25 cents a piece. She told him they were a dollar. He whinged and whined for thirty minutes. "But everybody else sells them for 25 cents". She stood her ground, so he left. I just don't want to put so much work in a day, to collect nickels and dimes from people or hear them whine about how they can't afford to pay seventy-five cents more for something.
You can sell CD's & DVD's at Second Spin They reimburse you for shipping costs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living