U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 03:46 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,616,536 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here sell online sites such as ebay, craigslist or sell things in consignment sales? Are your experiences overall good or bad?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 12:05 PM

89 posts, read 82,462 times
My husband and I sell on ebay exclusively (men's clothing, shoes and accessories). We've found some success. I was able to quit my cubicle dead end job and stay home with our kids. We are not getting rich. It's a lot of work, you will need to find a niche and be ready to do lots of sourcing.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:03 PM

I actually cancelled my buyer ebay account.

I guess I would need to resurrect it to sell on ebay. There are so many big businesses now on ebay, drop shipping things from China. I don't know if I could compete.

I sold on Craigslist for a while but encountered some very strange buyers.

I've done Facebook garage sales and stopped doing that altogether. Too many no-shows.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
I have never tried E-bay but I have sold through Craigslist and also on FB online yard sale groups.

On Craigslist you will get a lot of scammer texts. I'm not really sure how the scam works but there will be a text that is the exact wording in your ad. I ignore those. I sold an expensive house through Craigslist once so I can't knock it.

I have good luck with people on the FB groups. You will always have some that are a no show. I tell them when they call to 1. bring cash and 2. call me before they leave their house/business so I know they are on their way. This cuts down on the no shows.

If you have enough stuff have a yard sale and advertise it.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
If you have enough stuff have a yard sale and advertise it.
We can't have yard sales anymore because of people coming by wanting things for free, and refusing to buy anything at all. It is a rampant problem in this neighborhood and our neighbors have the same problem. I suspect most of these people are re-sellers on amazon, ebay and such. At my last garage sale, I had with a friend, she was selling all these brand new CDs, still in their sealed wrap. One guy came along and asked if he could buy them for 25 cents a piece. She told him they were a dollar. He whinged and whined for thirty minutes. "But everybody else sells them for 25 cents". She stood her ground, so he left. I just don't want to put so much work in a day, to collect nickels and dimes from people or hear them whine about how they can't afford to pay seventy-five cents more for something.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:32 PM

5,410 posts, read 3,382,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
We can't have yard sales anymore because of people coming by wanting things for free, and refusing to buy anything at all. It is a rampant problem in this neighborhood and our neighbors have the same problem. I suspect most of these people are re-sellers on amazon, ebay and such. At my last garage sale, I had with a friend, she was selling all these brand new CDs, still in their sealed wrap. One guy came along and asked if he could buy them for 25 cents a piece. She told him they were a dollar. He whinged and whined for thirty minutes. "But everybody else sells them for 25 cents". She stood her ground, so he left. I just don't want to put so much work in a day, to collect nickels and dimes from people or hear them whine about how they can't afford to pay seventy-five cents more for something.
Same thing with Craigslist.

I only have good things -- I don't buy crap. But nobody's willing to pay anything. They want it free. You know they're going to put it on eBay.

I have lots of new name brand fashion jewelry -- hundreds of pieces -- that I think I will take to the flea market. Nobody gives stuff away at the flea market, so the buyers will be expecting to pay. It's about as much work as a garage sale except that you need to transport the stuff and pay for a space.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Same thing with Craigslist.

I only have good things -- I don't buy crap. But nobody's willing to pay anything. They want it free. You know they're going to put it on eBay.

I have lots of new name brand fashion jewelry -- hundreds of pieces -- that I think I will take to the flea market. Nobody gives stuff away at the flea market, so the buyers will be expecting to pay. .
So buyers don't haggle for lower prices at flea markets? I wonder why they do it so much at garage sales.

I've even heard of ebay sellers being contacted by a buyer, asking them to lower their price on an item.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
So buyers don't haggle for lower prices at flea markets? I wonder why they do it so much at garage sales.

I've even heard of ebay sellers being contacted by a buyer, asking them to lower their price on an item.

I think people will haggle whenever they can. If you sell at a flea market and your items are new then you will have less to no haggling. Used items...well they are always up for a shot at a lower price.

That is terrible about your area. Where are you? What kind of items are you selling? I have sold in NY, TN, NC, and FL. My DH and I usually do very well but we sell good to like new items....never junk. We wash and or clean everything. Pack it up with manuals if they have them and have a price and description on every single thing we sell. People like baggies. We actually had to sell a lot of hardware one time. We tried putting it out on the tables...no response. Broke them down and put them in groups inside baggies with tags on each one and people scooped them up. We have been lucky as over the years we have actually gotten very little haggling. I think the more time and effort you put into selling the better chance you have.

Now I have no idea why your friend couldn't sell new CDs for $1.00. $1.00 is the going price for used cds and dvds at flea markets and yard sales. I do have trouble with books even though they are in excellent condition. I almost have to give them away but I think people just don't read much anymore.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I think people will haggle whenever they can. If you sell at a flea market and your items are new then you will have less to no haggling. Used items...well they are always up for a shot at a lower price.

That is terrible about your area. Where are you? What kind of items are you selling? .
I live in North Texas and my neighborhood is considered somewhat affluent. We get a lot of people coming around to garage sales that are, (I would assume) ebay sellers or resellers of some sort. Because it's obvious when they want to buy $20 worth of items for a nickel. Or whine that "nobody is going to buy this anyway, so why don't I just take it away for you, that will save you some time". They couldn't be more obvious about what they are doing. I resell things too, but I don't resort to those kinds of tactics.

We also have tons of people going door to door in our neighborhood, such as roofing contractors, etc. Sometimes as many as 5 or 6 people a day will knock on my door. I complained to the town council about all the door to door salespeople, but they said they didn't care.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 PM

11,355 posts, read 6,418,421 times
Hard to sell anything locally on FB and CL - around here people think a good offer is 50% of asking price. For example, if you have a few month old iPad (retail $499) listed for $375 - offers will be in the $150 range. A ton of people want to trade their junk...like a 10 yr old leaf blower they found or their collection of 30 DVD movies. $20 worth of junk for something that's currently $500 + tax in stores? I guess they simply offer their trade for anything nice and hope that somebody is dumb enough to accept. Some of those with crazy low offers might be hoping to find a drug addict or thief that just wants a little cash ASAP. I'm sure they get lucky once in a blue moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living