U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:35 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times

Advertisements

I think it is wasteful, but once it is paid for, it doesn't make much difference, economically, whether you leave it in the fridge or wear it on your hips.

I am a bit puzzled by people that buy things that they don't intend to eat. But think of it this way, OP. They are supporting local restaurants and those cooks, bus boys, waiters need those jobs to support their families.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:09 AM

13,343 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think it is wasteful, but once it is paid for, it doesn't make much difference, economically, whether you leave it in the fridge or wear it on your hips.

I am a bit puzzled by people that buy things that they don't intend to eat. But think of it this way, OP. They are supporting local restaurants and those cooks, bus boys, waiters need those jobs to support their families.
Well, it IS wasteful because instead of eating the remainder of a PAID-FOR meal (that could be considered "free" at that point) you're buying something else to eat in its place. But that's their issue - I'm sure not gonna drool over their stuff or even bother to shake my head because sometimes leftovers don't reheat well or you just don't want the same thing again so soon, but it is a waste.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:45 PM

7,080 posts, read 3,778,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
YOU are a proponent. Why would you insist that someone else feel the same way you do? Because that's what this situation is.
By "you," I mean other posters on this forum, which is called "Frugal Living," who seem mystified that the waste of money (and food) would irk me. Of course I don't expect the general population to be thrifty; the general population isn't smart enough for that.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:04 PM

22,695 posts, read 21,741,083 times
They always give me the fries. I ask to not get them, but they always clutter my plate with them.

I think I've thrown out more potatoes than I've eaten. Sad.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:58 PM

11,607 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
It would drive me crazy, but the most annoying thing is the smells of old rotted food & then they won't clean out the fridge.
Right. That is what would bother me. Otherwise it's their business. Sometimes I set something in the fridge to eat later and than I'm all dammit. I didn't wrap that properly to preserve it right, so it's a goner .... (but I do toss it, then).

Old 03-12-2017, 04:32 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,616,536 times
Most offices I worked in had a policy that all food was thrown out of the fridge every Friday. Many people would get upset, but food molding away in a fridge is a health hazard for everyone.

As for people choosing to eat out rather than brown bag, that's their personal choice. And it's okay for them to dine out or get take out food.

The only time I've said something was when a girl in the office would go around begging to borrow money, usually $5, off co-workers to buy lunch; she did this every day. I finally asked why she wasn't packing a sandwich like other people do.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 AM

7,080 posts, read 3,778,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, it IS wasteful because instead of eating the remainder of a PAID-FOR meal (that could be considered "free" at that point) you're buying something else to eat in its place. But that's their issue - I'm sure not gonna drool over their stuff or even bother to shake my head because sometimes leftovers don't reheat well or you just don't want the same thing again so soon, but it is a waste.
This. If you're eating something other than your leftovers, you're essentially "buying" more food. This IS the "Frugal Living" thread, right? Maybe I'm lost...

Old 03-13-2017, 04:41 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,494,602 times
I really don't notice. I am annoyed by how much people spend on eating out. I used to do it and I spent so much money. You save so much money when prepare and bring your breakfast and lunch. I dont say anything because it is none of my business.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:53 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,810,962 times
I don't have a problem with people eating out for lunch IF they can afford it. It's a way to network or hang out with friends. There are less expensive ways to go, but there can be a value to it. It depends on each person's individual circumstances. Some people really do need to save the money and just brown bag it.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
I wouldn't touch a "doggy bag" that another person leaves in the fridge - typically that would be the leftovers of a dish they've eaten from which is kind of unappetizing, to me at least.

But when there are leftovers put out in the break room (platters, etc) and people are welcome to help themselves, I think it's perfectly reasonable to pack up a portion for yourself to either take home or to enjoy for lunch the next day. When my department has an event with food, it's normal for people to bring an empty container to take home leftovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living