U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,618,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't have a problem with people eating out for lunch IF they can afford it. .
Whether they can or can't afford it, is none of our business though. We shouldn't be having a problem with how co-workers spend their money, because it's their money. Not ours. We don't get to decide what they do with it.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:55 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,639,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Most offices I worked in had a policy that all food was thrown out of the fridge every Friday. Many people would get upset, but food molding away in a fridge is a health hazard for everyone.

As for people choosing to eat out rather than brown bag, that's their personal choice. And it's okay for them to dine out or get take out food.

The only time I've said something was when a girl in the office would go around begging to borrow money, usually $5, off co-workers to buy lunch; she did this every day. I finally asked why she wasn't packing a sandwich like other people do.
Same here. Friday afternoon everything got tossed that was still in the fridge, usually around 3pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Whether they can or can't afford it, is none of our business though. We shouldn't be having a problem with how co-workers spend their money, because it's their money. Not ours. We don't get to decide what they do with it.
Exactly, unless they're hitting you up for money it's not concern what they're doing with their paycheck.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 PM

7,082 posts, read 3,783,727 times
What does "none of our business" mean -- that we can't form and express an opinion about it? And it IS our business if, for instance, the chronic eaters-out and throwers-away declare bankruptcy (I personally know quite a few of these), thus forcing all of us, even those who believe in "Frugal Living," to absorb the cost. And let's face it: 99% of the topics on City Data are "none of our business."

Why is discussing the waste of money such a no-no?

Last edited by otterhere; 03-15-2017 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What does "none of our business" mean; that we can't form and express an opinion about it? And it IS our business if, for instance, the chronic eaters-out and throwers-away declare bankruptcy (I personally know quite a few of these), thus forcing all of us, even those who believe in "Frugal Living," to absorb the cost. And let's face it: 99% of the stuff on City Data is "none of our business." Why is discussing the waste of money such a no-no?
We can certainly have an opinion about it, but we can't shame our co-worker about dining out at restaurants.

Also, it's the overall picture of someone's finances that determines if they have enough money to eat out. Perhaps those people who dine out at restaurants, are thrifty in other areas of their life. Ever think about that? Maybe they don't go to movies, have cable t.v. or gym memberships. Maybe they drive a cheap, old cash car. Maybe they don't have kids or pets and thus have extra money. Perhaps some of them have spouses who earn a lot of money, and their salary is just "fun money". We don't really know.

And food isn't free no matter what. Even eating food you brought from home, you are still spending money, because you had to buy it at the grocery store.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:35 PM

7,082 posts, read 3,783,727 times
No one said anything about "shaming" anyone, and if we know our coworkers, we know. One of mine hung up the phone with a debt collector and immediately called a restaurant to make reservations. It's a certain non-thrifty, "I deserve this," live-only-for-today mindset that many Americans have and which keeps the majority of American in debt. Mindless waste is a big part of that package.

Sorry; I must've stumbled into the wrong forum! I thought this was for people who believe in living frugally...

Old 03-15-2017, 01:52 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
No. I'm driven crazy by anal-retentive coworkers who poke through the fridge in the break room fussing about other people's personal property.
Bam! Me too.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:15 PM

18,977 posts, read 10,047,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
No one said anything about "shaming" anyone, and if we know our coworkers, we know. One of mine hung up the phone with a debt collector and immediately called a restaurant to make reservations. It's a certain non-thrifty, "I deserve this," live-only-for-today mindset that many Americans have and which keeps the majority of American in debt. Mindless waste is a big part of that package.

Sorry; I must've stumbled into the wrong forum! I thought this was for people who believe in living frugally...
I thought it was a forum for those who were choosing to live frugally, not for criticizing those who make different choices.

And for all we know, maybe the people think the food was delicious and were going to enjoy a second helping but then decided "a second on the lips, a lifetime on the hips" and decided that being frugal with calories was a better choice than being frugal with money. Everyone's got their own reasons for the choices they make.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I thought it was a forum for those who were choosing to live frugally, not for criticizing those who make different choices.
I thought the same, too.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:57 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
A bit OT here, but I found out my DD--who lives on her own--routinely takes her "friends" out to eat, at some rather expensive places. Lets face it, any restaurant is expensive if you pay the bill for 4-6 people

Yet she expects us to give her a car! Its an older car, but still in good condition, we could sell it for 6k--7k. Instead, we are going to sell it, and will give her an older car, worth about $1000. We were just going to give it to her, but when I found out she is such a free spender, I demanded she give us $250 for the vehicle. Hey, if she's going to throw money around, send some our way! Oh, she had a hissy fit and now won't even talk to us! Hey, she forgets we still pay her medical insurance, which is $175/month. She could get it through work, but claims its "too expensive". Like maybe the price of eating out with a crowd? Why should her Dad and I eat leftovers---which is what's tonight's dinner--while she plays big shot?

Time for her to learn---some food tastes better the day after---especially when there's nothing else to eat

Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 PM

10,313 posts, read 9,442,671 times
We never had a problem like the OP describes. If anything, we had trouble making sure our lunch was still in the fridge, come lunch time. We had a food thief. The first time my lunch disappeared, I was miffed but when it happened a second time, I went out and bought an ice pack, put it at the bottom of my vinyl cooler and kept it locked in my desk. Funny thing, though. The mystery was solved after a co-worker was let go from the department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living