U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 AM

7,087 posts, read 3,783,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
A bit OT here, but I found out my DD--who lives on her own--routinely takes her "friends" out to eat, at some rather expensive places. Lets face it, any restaurant is expensive if you pay the bill for 4-6 people

Yet she expects us to give her a car! Its an older car, but still in good condition, we could sell it for 6k--7k. Instead, we are going to sell it, and will give her an older car, worth about $1000. We were just going to give it to her, but when I found out she is such a free spender, I demanded she give us $250 for the vehicle. Hey, if she's going to throw money around, send some our way! Oh, she had a hissy fit and now won't even talk to us! Hey, she forgets we still pay her medical insurance, which is $175/month. She could get it through work, but claims its "too expensive". Like maybe the price of eating out with a crowd? Why should her Dad and I eat leftovers---which is what's tonight's dinner--while she plays big shot?

Time for her to learn---some food tastes better the day after---especially when there's nothing else to eat
You never learn the value of money until you have to work - and suffer - for it. Sounds like that lesson for your DD is coming late in life, but better late than never! Young people today seem to have money trees growing in their backyards; hence, waste doesn't bother them. I'm grateful that I was made to finance my own "wants" early on in life; I worked from the time I was 13. Thank you, Mom and Dad (both thrifty survivors of the Great Depression).

I didn't expect to find such a cavalier attitude toward throwing edible food away on a thread about frugal living, but whatever!

Old 03-28-2017, 08:59 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,585,330 times
My husband sees it all the time at work. He's a little over 40, and that's considered "older". Tons of millennials making a good salary = lots of food waste.

He usually spends less than $30 a week, but he always manages to eat well just from all the leftovers and free food given to him. His favorite habit used to be walking around the meeting rooms in the late afternoon after many groups are done for the day. There would be tons of catering and whatnot in the hallways waiting for the janitorial staff to dump it later that night.

I keep thinking that these wasteful habits can't continue, but until they're stopped he'll keep taking advantage of it.

Why not?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Good for him... A friend in one of the offices here (alas, not my own) calls me to stop by and pick up whatever's going to just be left sitting or thrown out (but is still good) I've gotten plenty of tasty meals that way and saved lots of money. I refer to myself as their garbage disposal. Do they ridicule my penny-pinching ways behind my back? Probably! But I'm laughing all the way to the bank, and that's what the TRULY frugal people do.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:10 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,742,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

What gets me more is when we have some sort of gathering/meeting and there is food left over and there are several lazy people who just let it sit out, sometimes overnight, instead of putting it in the fridge. Now that makes me a bit nuts.
Why do you not put it away?

I am always the one that has to clean up any office luncheon. Sometimes I just don't because I get sick of being the only one capable of doing so.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 AM

I almost never eat leftovers or finish a meal at a restaurant. My ex use to demand I take the leftovers home. If I even remembered to take the box into the house, it would sit in the fridge and rot for a week or two.

I finally said it was ridiculous to go through the extra effort of having to clean the stinky spoiled boxes out of the back of the SUV, or the fridge. He agreed and I no longer had to haul home leftovers that no one would eat.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:42 AM

18,987 posts, read 10,047,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You never learn the value of money until you have to work - and suffer - for it. Sounds like that lesson for your DD is coming late in life, but better late than never! Young people today seem to have money trees growing in their backyards; hence, waste doesn't bother them. I'm grateful that I was made to finance my own "wants" early on in life; I worked from the time I was 13. Thank you, Mom and Dad (both thrifty survivors of the Great Depression).

I didn't expect to find such a cavalier attitude toward throwing edible food away on a thread about frugal living, but whatever!
Because it's about tips on Frugal living FOR THOSE WHO ARE TRYING TO LEAD A FRUGAL LIFE. Not for those who want to criticize someone for doing something differently than they do.

Now, if one of those people who puts leftovers in the fridge came here and said that they feel like they are wasting money and food, and what should they do, they'd get some good advice such as don't eat out as often, order something to share with the person they are with, order an appetizer instead of an entree, etc.

But your posts haven't been about advice, they've been about criticism, which has nothing to do with frugality.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 AM

Granted, there are degrees of thriftiness, and everyone has his or her own limits (mine tend to be extreme), but just throwing away perfectly good food -- especially if expensive -- doesn't seem to be anywhere on the frugality scale to me; just curious what led you to this site.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Granted, there are degrees of thriftiness, and everyone has his or her own limits (mine tend to be extreme), but just throwing away perfectly good food -- especially if expensive -- doesn't seem to be anywhere on the frugality scale to me; just curious what led you to this site.
I am frugal in other areas. Food is not one of the ways. I think people that tend to be possessive over food, have had to endure limited availability at some point. Being over excited about food causes health issues.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
I simply wondered if others struggle with the temptation to just eat it themselves.
The idea of eating someone else's food, which they've possibly chewed on, kept in who knows what temperature storage, is who knows how old, and worst of all, kept in a communal fridge, grosses me out.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:34 PM

5,339 posts, read 3,954,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think people sometimes feel pressured to take their leftovers when they really didn't much care for the food in the first place. Sometimes you go out to eat and the food really isn't all that good. You hate to leave expensive food on the plate so you get a to go box and let it go bad in the car or in the breakroom or the refrigerator or wherever. It's a way to make a decision without making a decision.

I don't have coworkers. I have kids. it mainly only bugs me when they order extra food like an extra taco and don't eat it. Sometimes that plan to eat leftovers just doesn't work out because of scheduling. That's ok. In the OP's case, I'd be more disgusted by an adult leaving a mess to clean up rather than waste.
This..
coworkers eating habits cause me no concern but my kids ordering a ton of food and not eating half of it does perturb me a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living