U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 AM

21,001 posts, read 25,765,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There are things in life that require spending money to experience, travel for instance.
Yes, but there are different ways to travel. Two people can see the same countries, the same sites, the same museums, and spend a vastly different amount of money to do so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM

1,066 posts, read 706,964 times
I like the idea of my money going to better things. If I need a dining table I could go to pottery barn and buy a $1500 set or I could head to the local auction house and get one for $100 and have a story. That $1,400 saved if invested would be worth an extra $20,000 when I'm ready to retire. I'd rather $20,000 extra at retirement rather than a more expensive dining table today.

My main focus on being frugal or saving money is so my family can become more financially secure faster. I honestly do not feel like I'm giving up things or sacrificing. I drive a nice used Hyundai, and when I see the guy driving the BMW I don't wish I had it, I actually feel bad for him that he feels he needs to drive it. I'm sure 1 in 10 people can actually afford that car and are already completely financially stable, but for the rest I'm sure it is a status symbol keeping up with the Jones and I'm probably in a better financial situation then they are.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:34 PM

3,053 posts, read 995,278 times
I'm frugal because I am planning to open up a money market account before the year over and determined to spend money wisely.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 PM

8,235 posts, read 9,100,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I like the idea of my money going to better things. If I need a dining table I could go to pottery barn and buy a $1500 set or I could head to the local auction house and get one for $100 and have a story. That $1,400 saved if invested would be worth an extra $20,000 when I'm ready to retire. I'd rather $20,000 extra at retirement rather than a more expensive dining table today.

My main focus on being frugal or saving money is so my family can become more financially secure faster. I honestly do not feel like I'm giving up things or sacrificing. I drive a nice used Hyundai, and when I see the guy driving the BMW I don't wish I had it, I actually feel bad for him that he feels he needs to drive it. I'm sure 1 in 10 people can actually afford that car and are already completely financially stable, but for the rest I'm sure it is a status symbol keeping up with the Jones and I'm probably in a better financial situation then they are.

I have always been frugal out of simple necessity. I've never made a lot of money, skated along poverty lines for a looong time, but all my needs were taken care of. At this point in my life I don't have to be quite as frugal as in the past but old habits die hard. I don't have a lot but I think I'm in better financial shape than most of the people I know. I don't envy anyone who has things I don't. If I really want them I'll have them but not at the cost of my security and well being. And most things I don't care about that much anyway.

I have rarely ever been able to afford brand new things, like furniture, but I've furnished many an apt. and home from thrift stores and, yep, auctions. Fun times, those! Somehow everything fits and goes together nicely but I really take my time trying to find exactly what I want. After two years I'm still, slowly, getting my house together but it's getting there.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:29 PM

3,587 posts, read 1,515,636 times
Too rebellious to buy into the never-ending cycle of spending, debt, etc. That's just what The Man wants you to do, so you stay always malleable.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:12 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There are things in life that require spending money to experience, travel for instance.
My career included a lot of travel.

We had the opportunity to live and own a home in Scotland for a few years. That was a lot of fun.

We lived in Italy a few years. That allowed us to play the tourist all around the Med.

We have had homes up and down the East Coast and West.

Now as retirees we are okay to sit out the travel a while.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:30 PM

2,461 posts, read 1,203,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post

I aint gonna lie. I am a poser. I was thinking of trading in my maxima that has barely 36000 miles on it plus additional cash to buy a used beamer that's probably older and more miles. And i know that beamers have a tendency to break down, just like most european cars. Also, i know the maintenance is really expense, yet, i still wanted one; didn't need one, but i wanted one. But then I look at my cars and I'm very happy with them even though they don't carry the luxury brands.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,811,747 times
I have a few reasons. My family was poor for a good part of my life, and my now-husband and I went through a really rough spell not long after we got together. I make a good income now but never want to be back in those situations. Plus, I like to spend money on things like traveling (although we do travel relatively frugally, we do travel quite a bit and do splurge sometimes on vacation), so I like to save on other things like day-to-day expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or