U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 PM

247 posts, read 100,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post

Now I have stated this before, but I do notice when people say that "I save money by cutting my own hair" really means "I just take the clippers, set it at 1 or 2, and buzz my hair." As a guy, I could easily save myself $16 every 3 weeks by doing this, but I hate the buzzed look. I do take advantages of coupons and such.
I explicitly stated that it is what I do...buzz/clip away.
I love the buzzed look and love how easy it is to "maintain" it afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 03:00 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,887,555 times
My wife has been shaving my head for the past 4 1/2 years with a $50 electric shaver we bought at Sally Beauty Supply. She likes how I look better (I do, too) and it saves me ~$350 per year at least on haircuts. Plus I use a lot less shampoo and conditioner. A bottle will last me about 18 months now because I need so little. That probably saves me another $50-80 per year, so all in all we're talking about $35/month I'm saving and I don't have to deal with the hassle of combing or products, or taking time to go to a salon/barber shop, AND I look better. It's a win all around.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:31 PM

22,709 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Three hundred and fifty dollars? I've never spent that much.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:20 AM

977 posts, read 817,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
I explicitly stated that it is what I do...buzz/clip away.
I love the buzzed look and love how easy it is to "maintain" it afterwards.
Which proves my point that someone using the clipper settings to buzz their own hair is much different then someone actually using the styling shears to cut their hair in front of the mirror. The latter does not take much effort, imo. If the buzz look is preferable to you, then by all means, go for the buzzed hair look. I prefer the hair stylist using her (mostly women) expertise with the shears to get the cut I prefer. Not something I could in front of the mirror, with the different angles, and so forth. If one can cut their own hair with styling shears and look good, than truly they have a talent.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:57 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,797,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I think I'd probably buy a trimmer and buzz it down to 1/4 of an inch. You don't have to shave then.
^^^This is what I do. Lasts two to three months between buzz cuts.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:52 AM

1,167 posts, read 4,291,032 times
I have started shaving my head almost a year ago mostly because it is too thinned on the top. I used to buzz clip it before and that was easy, once a week or every other week. But when you shave, you have to keep at it. I use a shaving machine almost daily, but if you want to look good you have to use a good razor, which is once a week for me.
So between the time and other supplies, I think the clipper was cheaper than shaving.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:11 PM

10,152 posts, read 13,844,113 times
I have a friend who shaves once a week instead of every day when showering. He shaves Saturday to be clean shaved for Sunday. He uses some Schick triple blade with a plastic piece that is used to eject the cuts. One razor last him a month so he only needs 12 disposable razors per year and the cost is under $15 for the whole year.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:56 AM

247 posts, read 100,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Which proves my point that someone using the clipper settings to buzz their own hair is much different then someone actually using the styling shears to cut their hair in front of the mirror. The latter does not take much effort, imo. If the buzz look is preferable to you, then by all means, go for the buzzed hair look. I prefer the hair stylist using her (mostly women) expertise with the shears to get the cut I prefer. Not something I could in front of the mirror, with the different angles, and so forth. If one can cut their own hair with styling shears and look good, than truly they have a talent.
So buzzing one's own hair should be explicitly addressed as "I buzz my own hair with clippers," as opposed to "I cut my own hair."
Cool.
To each their own, but regardless of how one calls it, what you say is true: do to your hair what you prefer. I love the buzz look, and I love that I literally spend zero time "maintaining" it between buzz sessions. It's all wake up and go. Love it.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:58 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,887,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Three hundred and fifty dollars? I've never spent that much.
That was an annual figure, so averaging just under $30 per month. Even when I got haircuts I did a pretty close fade cut on the sides with it a little longer on top. That required me going every 2-3 weeks on average to keep it looking good at around $20 a pop (including tip).

Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
My profession mandated that I get frequent hair cuts, obviously we were allowed to wear beards, but our head hair had to be kept short. It was a lot easier for me to cut it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or