Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:32 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
.........the awful way they treat their employees, ........
Walmart employees here get a couple of dollars more than minimum wage and minimum wage is nearly $10. They get health insurance, sick leave, and paid vacations.

Walmart hires people that other businesses wouldn't touch. There is no reason to have an elderly or handicapped greeter except to give a job to a person who needs a job and can't find one elsewhere.

Walmart pays better than Target, which is the store that knee-jerk Walmart haters frequent to buy the exact same goods, manufactured in exactly the same foreign country.

Walmart does sell made-in-the-USA goods when they can get them. A lot of things aren't made in America any more. Our Walmart does buy and sell local produce, when it is available.

Our local Walmart makes large donations to local charities.

Maybe in your area, Walmart hires a slave master to walk the aisles and whip the employees, and takes his salary out of the employees' paycheck? Maybe I am not in the local Walmart to see all the abuse?

I don't shop Walmart but only becasue I have other places I shop. I don't have any automatic dislike for Walmart, based on "just because"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Walmart employees here get a couple of dollars more than minimum wage and minimum wage is nearly $10. They get health insurance, sick leave, and paid vacations.

Walmart hires people that other businesses wouldn't touch. There is no reason to have an elderly or handicapped greeter except to give a job to a person who needs a job and can't find one elsewhere.

Walmart pays better than Target, which is the store that knee-jerk Walmart haters frequent to buy the exact same goods, manufactured in exactly the same foreign country.

Walmart does sell made-in-the-USA goods when they can get them. A lot of things aren't made in America any more. Our Walmart does buy and sell local produce, when it is available.

Maybe in your area, Walmart hires a slave master to walk the aisles and whip the employees, and takes his salary out of the employees' paycheck? Maybe I am not in the local Walmart to see all the abuse?

I don't shop Walmart but only becasue I have other places I shop. I don't have any automatic dislike for Walmart, based on "just because"..
Cida mentioned she/he hadn't been to one in years and yet thinks they can judge what the company is like. I am not a huge WalMart shopper. If I am in a hurry and just want a couple of items or I need to pick up things in several dept like nursery, a little food, maybe a bottle of wine and a greeting card I will use them as it is faster. We live in a small town without a lot of shopping choices so there are times when it makes good sense and saves gas just to go to WalMart, but it isn't my favorite store for sure.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 AM

419 posts, read 387,753 times
While I don't enjoy shopping at Walmart because it's a free-for-all in the aisles and all of their carts are a pain with clanging around they store, they do have good every day prices for those times when my regular grocery stores aren't running sales. I'm usually in Walmart twice a month, mostly to buy a few items that other local stores don't carry. They're also cheaper on many drugstore items, and I like their generic Equate brand.

Two bad things I have found is that the prices don't always ring in accurately and they always have problems with coupons. I'm very careful with coupons to make sure they're good, and I hate having to pull the already bagged item out to prove the coupon is good. Even then, I've had cashiers reject them, which keeps me from coming back for a good while.

Walmart gets about 15% of my monthly necessary spending budget (food, drugs, household.) I prefer shopping other stores and stocking up when they have sales because I do better price wise, but Walmart still gets some of our business.

As far as price matching, I'd rather go to the store having the sale rather than go through the hassle of Walmart price matching.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Actually we do not even have to take the ads in if we do not want to; we just tell our checker; sometimes they will tell us before we finish letting know the price. The one thing they do which is smart for them, but not consumers is: tell us such and such at a store is based on a 2 lb pack for instance. So it isn't exactly a match.
Ours used to keep sales circulars at the cashier's station, but now they push the savings catcher.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:15 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I shop at Walmart all the time. I shop with a list, and also use coupons. I also use Savings Catcher, and get quite a bit back. The reason for this, is because not only do I scan my receipt, other shoppers throw them on the ground. So I pick them up and scan them, too.

I've gotten a vacuum cleaner for 50% off, a free printer, two free blazers, and many other items literally for free. I just let the savings collect until I need it for some reason, then transfer it to an e-gift card to use

Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
List
Shop the edge of the store
Yellow tag sales.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:02 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this is completely correct. We all need to be smart shoppers, regardless what store you prefer to use.
I tend to do one big shopping for staples, and then buy fresh/frozen stuff as needed. I don't buy my milk from Walmart generally but will in a pinch. Its a whole lot better from a local dairy. But I keep a store of things which can sit and with a little work make a meal if it starts to run out too soon. I live alone, or should I say the four legged crew get their own stuff, so maybe it doesn't work out this way for everyone. But the basics start with keeping basic supplies for the month available. When you go there, its every so easy to pick up this and that and you blow the budget on snacks.

The other thing to do is just keep going past that display with small packages of stuff which makes it look cheaper. Snack sized chips, or cookies or whatever will add up. And you're paying a dollar but only getting a couple of cookies. If you must have them, get the full sized oreo box.

I also review the budget and keep an 'available cash/money in account list. When I buy off the list I write it down. So you can see when instead of getting milk and cerial and lightbulbs when a room goes dark, you had cookies.

I don't make it absolute. Sometimes its something which will last past the month and the larger package is cheaper, so you spend more now and less later. Or you just really want a treat. Maybe the small snack of cookies is better if your going to finish the big package over a movie. Once a month I get the pizza deal from the local Italion food place. Its twenty dollars but it lasts over a couple days. It's my monthly treat.

But it starts with actually looking at what you buy and use and dividing them between nutrition and sugar cravings. And learn basic cooking. It's not hard to make a stew, for instance, but it will fill up the family without being really expensive. Buy premade for that treat like my pizza, or special occasions.

I do my shopping at Walmart since we have it and a couple of discount stores with unknown brands, and their fresh stuff is more expensive. If you want a real chain story its a thirty minute drive. Not for groceries....

Basic knowledge of what you like, what you can afford, and how not to waste it will work anywhere you shop. It might even mean shopping one place for fresh and meat, and the discount chain for staples.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:57 PM

844 posts, read 1,442,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Best way to be frugal with Walmart is to avoid walking in through their doors.

Whats wrong with walmart?

Old 03-26-2017, 08:25 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Whats wrong with walmart?
If you want to be frugal [this is the 'frugal living' sub-forum] you need to spend less. Avoiding stores will allow you to spend less.

My parents boycott Walmart for their business ethics. [so do my in-laws]

I try to buy local when possible, though I refuse to pay double just to get local.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

They also get profit-sharing bonuses. Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living