U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 AM

4,346 posts, read 4,435,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I was in Walmart yesterday because, apparently, that is the cheapest place to buy name brand synthetic motor oil and they have the best prices for boutique beer. The way I understand it is that you drink the beer after you do your own oil change, thus saving a ton of money over paying to have the oil changed by a mechanic.

Our cashier had to be (no exaggeration) over 80 years old. She was efficient and cheerful and a good worker. I was thinking, as I watched this deserving worker, that there isn't anther store in my area that would have given a job to an 80 year old woman, no matter how hard she works.

The greeter was a person in a wheel chair, also cheerful and doing her job.

I really can not condemn Walmart for their business ethics when they give jobs to so many people that other stores won't hire. I simply can not see that as an unethical business model.
I think the expectation is that everyone charge higher prices to ensure you can pay all of your employees a middle class wage. If that is your expectation pretty much every service-focused company is unethical.

My brother-in-law vehemently hates Walmart condemns it like crazy, but absolutely loves Target. When I mentioned to him that they pay their employees essentially the same wage, he said I was crazy. So I pulled up glassdoor and showed him. He still said it was wrong. People choose to believe what they want to believe, Confirmation Bias.

My wife was a supervisor at Publix (worked their for 8 years) making $13.50/hr, yet people praise Publix for it's treatment of employees. How is $13.50/hr for a supervisor that has been there 8 years better than $10/hr for a new hire at Walmart? It isn't, but Walmart is easy to demonize, Publix has a much better reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 01:51 PM

8,230 posts, read 8,512,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Awful way they treat their employees, give us some examples that you are sure of and then look to see what the Walton family gives to charity and how much they help the country and the community. Have you noticed how many mildly challenged people they hire? Why do so many stay with the company for so many years if they are so awful? I do not think there are many businesses that are as misunderstood at Walmart.
I resent your indication that people who shop at WalMart are not good citizens.

It's a pity that you seem to believe that people who generally act horribly - in the case of Walmart, they shaft their staff, their vendors, and their communities (by destroying businesses and jobs) - can magically be redeemed by a few acts of charity.

You suddenly have me wondering, though, if one reason Walmart is happy to hire "challenged" people is because they know those employees are unlikely to make waves. The "challenged" employees won't clamor to unionized, won't demand raises or benefits, won't leave for better paying jobs.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:32 PM

4,346 posts, read 4,435,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's a pity that you seem to believe that people who generally act horribly - in the case of Walmart, they shaft their staff, their vendors, and their communities (by destroying businesses and jobs) - can magically be redeemed by a few acts of charity.

You suddenly have me wondering, though, if one reason Walmart is happy to hire "challenged" people is because they know those employees are unlikely to make waves. The "challenged" employees won't clamor to unionized, won't demand raises or benefits, won't leave for better paying jobs.
a union isn't that great when ~45-50% of your work force is part time. I know, I belonged to a union at a grocery store for 8 years. Sure the full time people benefited from it, but only so many people in a grocery store can be full time, the part timers essentially got nothing, but still had to pony up the $7/week for their dues. When you are making $5.15/hr (minimum wage), working 16 hours a week, and paying $7 of that to the union you really have to question what value they are adding.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 PM

11,639 posts, read 5,486,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I like their new thing regarding free shipping over $35. I've placed two orders in 3 days which will cut down on time spent in the store on non-perishable food items!
My previous Savings Catcher scans came in handy. It automatically populated things I normally buy, one of which was on half-priced sale. I don't need another for a while, so if it is also on sale in-store I wouldn't have seen it.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 AM

8,288 posts, read 9,117,639 times
Quote:
Ours used to keep sales circulars at the cashier's station, but now they push the savings catcher.

My store always has the ads at the registers. We don't exactly "push" savings catcher but it does catch a lot of things that people miss in the ads. I was only recently made aware that savings catcher doesn't 'catch' produce or meat items so for those I still do ad matches at the register. I am usually surprised to see how many things I've bought that I didn't see when I went through the ads. I'm just letting it build up at this point and have nearly $40 in it.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
They also get profit-sharing bonuses. Great post!

Walmart has way more employee bennies than the general public has any idea about. When I tell someone about them they are surprised and say they just never imagined all that.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I was in Walmart yesterday because, apparently, that is the cheapest place to buy name brand synthetic motor oil and they have the best prices for boutique beer. The way I understand it is that you drink the beer after you do your own oil change, thus saving a ton of money over paying to have the oil changed by a mechanic.

Our cashier had to be (no exaggeration) over 80 years old. She was efficient and cheerful and a good worker. I was thinking, as I watched this deserving worker, that there isn't anther store in my area that would have given a job to an 80 year old woman, no matter how hard she works.

The greeter was a person in a wheel chair, also cheerful and doing her job.

I really can not condemn Walmart for their business ethics when they give jobs to so many people that other stores won't hire. I simply can not see that as an unethical business model.

I just want to thank you for the nice things you have to say about Walmart. I've been with them going on seven years now...the longest I've EVER worked for one company...and neither I, nor my associates would stay with them if they treated us badly. We have people in their 80s as greeters and self checkouts that wouldn't have a job if not for Walmart. That's why it aggravates me when people say self checkout takes away jobs. It doesn't. It GIVES jobs to people who really can't, physically, do other jobs. When I explain this to some of the complainers they back down a lot. We have people in our store that have been there since it (the old store) opened 27 years ago.

The general public has NO idea just how much, and what, Walmart does for their communities. They don't go out and 'honk their own horn' about it but we, the associates, know. They do a LOT for their employees as well that nobody knows about.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Please explain how Walmart shafts everything and everybody. We are a small town but we have small businesses here that have BEEN in business for many years and Walmart hasn't run them out yet. Maybe it depends on the business and how good/bad it is to begin with whether they survive or not. A FEW acts of charity?? You have no idea.

The only "challenged" people working at my store are physically unable to do the heavy lifting, etc. that other jobs require. But they still have good jobs. We don't have to demand raises or benefits because we have them in spades. Some do leave for other jobs but, around here, they aren't necessarily better paying or have more bennies. Most don't.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:22 PM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you want to be frugal [this is the 'frugal living' sub-forum] you need to spend less. Avoiding stores will allow you to spend less.

My parents boycott Walmart for their business ethics. [so do my in-laws]

I try to buy local when possible, though I refuse to pay double just to get local.
What business ethics? Tell us more so we can better understand? Their employees are paid better than min wage by a couple of $$an hour, they have good benefits, they often hire people that, for various reasons would have problems getting a decent job somewhere else and you talk about their business ethics. Obviously some believe what they read, even if the reading is slanted. I will say one thing, they are non union which I am sure upsets many.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 PM

24,736 posts, read 59,658,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What business ethics? Tell us more so we can better understand? Their employees are paid better than min wage by a couple of $$an hour, they have good benefits, they often hire people that, for various reasons would have problems getting a decent job somewhere else and you talk about their business ethics. Obviously some believe what they read, even if the reading is slanted. I will say one thing, they are non union which I am sure upsets many.
Setting up just outside a small town and deflating prices until they put the small town stores out of business then raise their prices back up.

Intentionally positioning stores to destroy small town's downtown areas.

Dictating price point to vendors and forcing them to produce cheaply made knock offs of their own products for Walmart to sell to consumers thinking they are getting the quality of the name brand.

Requiring vendors to give them lower pricing than smaller local businesses in order to ensure they can quickly put the smaller businesses out of business.

Refusing to pay vendors and contractors for ridiculous reasons and then negotiating a settlement at a much lower price.

Treating employees badly - not pay, they all pay poorly, but the demands, oddball hours (i.e. come in for 2.5 hours) etc. The few people I knew who worked there for a time, went to other everything stores and felt they were treated much better. No one I know stayed there, while I know people who stayed and made a career of Kroger, Meijers or Target - because they liked it there (rather than because they had not other choice).

I had some other reasons, I cannot think of them right now. I will not set foot in a Wallmart. A side issue is their products are generally of lower quality and not as good a dollar for what you get buy as Meijers or Target.

Oh, and I do not like their stores physically. the layout makes me feel like someone is standing on me the second I walk in. Cannot pin that down. Walmart is not the only store, but it is certainly the one that is most consistently that way for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living