U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,366 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Reputation: 38690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's a pity that you seem to believe that people who generally act horribly - in the case of Walmart, they shaft their staff, their vendors, and their communities (by destroying businesses and jobs) - can magically be redeemed by a few acts of charity.


You suddenly have me wondering, though, if one reason Walmart is happy to hire "challenged" people is because they know those employees are unlikely to make waves. The "challenged" employees won't clamor to unionized, won't demand raises or benefits, won't leave for better paying jobs.
the secret come out: you know very little about the company, but you dislike them because they are non union.

As for charity, do some research, they are among the top givers to charity in the country. Think that qualifies as more than a few acts. If they shaft their staff how many checkers stay with the company for years and how come the management does the same.

I will agree about their affecting small businesses: that is sad, but it is a fact of life. We can say the same about most major companies: big business versus mom and pop: what about McDonalds making it tough for local family owned restaurants to stay in business, as an example?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2017, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,366 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Setting up just outside a small town and deflating prices until they put the small town stores out of business then raise their prices back up.

Intentionally positioning stores to destroy small town's downtown areas.

Dictating price point to vendors and forcing them to produce cheaply made knock offs of their own products for Walmart to sell to consumers thinking they are getting the quality of the name brand.

Requiring vendors to give them lower pricing than smaller local businesses in order to ensure they can quickly put the smaller businesses out of business.

Refusing to pay vendors and contractors for ridiculous reasons and then negotiating a settlement at a much lower price.

Treating employees badly - not pay, they all pay poorly, but the demands, oddball hours (i.e. come in for 2.5 hours) etc. The few people I knew who worked there for a time, went to other everything stores and felt they were treated much better. No one I know stayed there, while I know people who stayed and made a career of Kroger, Meijers or Target - because they liked it there (rather than because they had not other choice).

I had some other reasons, I cannot think of them right now. I will not set foot in a Wallmart. A side issue is their products are generally of lower quality and not as good a dollar for what you get buy as Meijers or Target.

Oh, and I do not like their stores physically. the layout makes me feel like someone is standing on me the second I walk in. Cannot pin that down. Walmart is not the only store, but it is certainly the one that is most consistently that way for me.
some of what you say may be true: but most is anything but: odd hours? yes,the stores are open 24, 7; of course some will work strange hours: Your crap about vendors is not true: I know too many people involved with WalMart.

A lot of Walmart employee stay because they are satisfied, not out of no choice. Where are you getting your ideas?

As for Target compared to WalMart, I might have agreed with you many years ago but not so much now. And remember a lot of people do not have access to both stores. They have reasons for shopping and liking WalMart; why are WalMarts usually busy?

I agree some of the merchandise is poor quality, and that is what you get when you shop cheap: This is why discount stores are not for everyone, but they certainly serve a purpose.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Reputation: 17595
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What business ethics? Tell us more so we can better understand?
Regional market analysis to position stores in a manner to gain maximum market share and drive all competitors out of business.

If your only goal is to make money these things could be seen as 'respectable'.

Walmart has been used in public discussion as an example corporation who had been paying Minimum-Wage to their employees. They were getting bad press from it, which began to hurt their business. So the smart lawyers on the board of directors devised how much they could raise pay scales of assistant managers to get people [like you] to defend them. This is typical of the sleazy tactics given the former board member who was recently a presidential candidate.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,366 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Regional market analysis to position stores in a manner to gain maximum market share and drive all competitors out of business.

If your only goal is to make money these things could be seen as 'respectable'.

Walmart has been used in public discussion as an example corporation who had been paying Minimum-Wage to their employees. They were getting bad press from it, which began to hurt their business. So the smart lawyers on the board of directors devised how much they could raise pay scales of assistant managers to get people [like you] to defend them. This is typical of the sleazy tactics given the former board member who was recently a presidential candidate.

obviously there are 2 sides to every story: for instance they pay min wage: that is just flatly a lie: Did they, at one time? Perhaps. It is obvious we will just have to agree to disagree about WalMart. No one is forcing anyone to use the store, but the dislike for them goes deeper; more like the old story; believe the press over learning on your own.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Reputation: 17595
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
obviously there are 2 sides to every story: for instance they pay min wage: that is just flatly a lie: Did they, at one time? Perhaps. It is obvious we will just have to agree to disagree about WalMart. No one is forcing anyone to use the store, but the dislike for them goes deeper; more like the old story; believe the press over learning on your own.
Have I said anything about wages?

Why do you wish to focus on wages?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 07:27 AM
 
4,346 posts, read 4,436,435 times
Reputation: 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Regional market analysis to position stores in a manner to gain maximum market share and drive all competitors out of business.

If your only goal is to make money these things could be seen as 'respectable'.

Walmart has been used in public discussion as an example corporation who had been paying Minimum-Wage to their employees. They were getting bad press from it, which began to hurt their business. So the smart lawyers on the board of directors devised how much they could raise pay scales of assistant managers to get people [like you] to defend them. This is typical of the sleazy tactics given the former board member who was recently a presidential candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Have I said anything about wages?

Why do you wish to focus on wages?
Yes you did. See bolded above.

Also, show me a business that doesn't do market analysis before positioning their stores and I will show you a failed business. So in your opinion companies should just place stores wherever? Or they should place stores in the place they are least likely to make money, so less desirable smaller businesses can continue to make money? Walmart doesn't force people to shop at their stores if there is good competition they don't take all that much business. I lived in Florida for 5 years and we had Neighborhood Markets all over the place, yet Publix continued to do better than ever. Why do you think that is? Walmart does push out poorly run businesses that often charge too much and have no redeeming qualities. I don't see why that is a bad thing. If they had something that people wanted (like higher quality products, lower prices, more friendly staff, etc.) people wouldn't stop shopping there when Walmart opens up.

Aldi's is another one that takes Walmart customers because of their low prices. Are you demonizing Aldi's for encroaching on Walmart's territory? A Neighborhood Market employs 60-70 people an Aldi's employs at most half of that. So if Aldi's forces Walmart out there will be a net loss in jobs for the area, does that bother you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Reputation: 17595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Yes you did. See bolded above.
Pardon me.

My parents had big issue with Hillary's company over their ethics.

I was asked to explain what their issue was, so I did.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 12:29 PM
 
1,347 posts, read 1,006,363 times
Reputation: 4391
I don't shop at Walmart because of their labor practices. I prefer to shop at another store that employees union labor. The few times that I have went into a Walmart I found there customer service lacking, the checkout lines are ridiculously long, the store was not organized and I found expired yogurt on the shelf.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 PM
 
4,346 posts, read 4,436,435 times
Reputation: 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I don't shop at Walmart because of their labor practices. I prefer to shop at another store that employees union labor. The few times that I have went into a Walmart I found there customer service lacking, the checkout lines are ridiculously long, the store was not organized and I found expired yogurt on the shelf.
All of those are valid complaints, but having been part of a union grocer for 8 years it doesn't necessarily mean the company treats you much better. I see value in unions for many jobs, but from a retail perspective it seems like More of a money grab. Half of he workforce by design is almost always part time and unions are focused on full timers. I paid $7/week to a union for 8 years and didn't get anything from it except a few hundred bucks when we were on strike for a few weeks (and I had to picket for that). Now the full-timers got Alot of benefit, but if a union is only positive for 50% of the people they represent is that a good thing? Take from the part timers and give to the full timers!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 05:35 PM
 
1,347 posts, read 1,006,363 times
Reputation: 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
All of those are valid complaints, but having been part of a union grocer for 8 years it doesn't necessarily mean the company treats you much better. I see value in unions for many jobs, but from a retail perspective it seems like More of a money grab. Half of he workforce by design is almost always part time and unions are focused on full timers. I paid $7/week to a union for 8 years and didn't get anything from it except a few hundred bucks when we were on strike for a few weeks (and I had to picket for that). Now the full-timers got Alot of benefit, but if a union is only positive for 50% of the people they represent is that a good thing? Take from the part timers and give to the full timers!
Good point, the union I belong to covers part time and temp employees. It has been a sticking point the last two contracts but the union I belong to covers part time and temp employees. It's not a retail environment and that's probably the difference.

I personally would still rather go somewhere else because Walmart is just a pain in the neck.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top