U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 PM

12,967 posts, read 24,013,555 times

Advertisements

I don't buy produce or meat at Walmart. I buy produce from the Hispanic markets. I buy my meat from Costco, the Hispanic markets, and anywhere else where what I want is on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 AM

7,685 posts, read 3,411,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I just want to thank you for the nice things you have to say about Walmart. I've been with them going on seven years now...the longest I've EVER worked for one company...and neither I, nor my associates would stay with them if they treated us badly. We have people in their 80s as greeters and self checkouts that wouldn't have a job if not for Walmart. That's why it aggravates me when people say self checkout takes away jobs. It doesn't. It GIVES jobs to people who really can't, physically, do other jobs. When I explain this to some of the complainers they back down a lot. We have people in our store that have been there since it (the old store) opened 27 years ago.

The general public has NO idea just how much, and what, Walmart does for their communities. They don't go out and 'honk their own horn' about it but we, the associates, know. They do a LOT for their employees as well that nobody knows about.
Yeah I never understood all the Walmart hate. I've heard a Walmart truck driver can make 100K or more salary and store managers make a lot too. That's a nice living for jobs that don't require a college education.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:23 AM

8,221 posts, read 9,100,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yeah I never understood all the Walmart hate. I've heard a Walmart truck driver can make 100K or more salary and store managers make a lot too. That's a nice living for jobs that don't require a college education.

I don't know what managers, etc. make but I think it's pretty good. And some of them are even worth it! lol Most Walmart jobs don't "require a college education" but you'd be surprised how many of us do have it. And how many are going to school right now, with Walmart's financial help, as well. One thing I really like about Walmart is that anyone with an ounce or two of ambition and "want to" can, indeed, rise up to any level they want. Promotions happen every day.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
... I really can not condemn Walmart for their business ethics when they give jobs to so many people that other stores won't hire. I simply can not see that as an unethical business model.
Long Live Walmart | IQ2US Debates

You might enjoy this.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:50 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Treating employees badly - not pay, they all pay poorly, but the demands, oddball hours (i.e. come in for 2.5 hours) etc. The few people I knew who worked there for a time, went to other everything stores and felt they were treated much better. No one I know stayed there, while I know people who stayed and made a career of Kroger, Meijers or Target - because they liked it there (rather than because they had not other choice).
Do not think that Wal-Mart is alone in this.

Before I launched my current career, I worked for two of the ever-praised mom-and-pop operations. One was a restaurant, and one was a convenience store.

In both, I was treated absolutely terribly. The way that the owners of both of these establishments talked to, belittled and insulted all of their employees (not just me) was completely shameful.

In the convenience store, even though I worked a managerial type role (although I wasn't referred to as a manager...no one was), I got paid $8 an hour. Any time that you didn't play into store politics or if the owners just didn't like you that day (for whatever random reason), your hours would be slashed. Saying that you couldn't work on a certain day of the week or a certain shift wasn't a possibility, and you were pretty much expected to have 24/7 availability, even if to only work a 2 or 3 hour shift. Failure to come in at a moment's notice would result in your hours being slashed. Calling in sick was impossible and resulted in your hours being slashed or you losing your job. A doctor's note might save your job (but not your hours), but the owners would still gossip and make up conspiracies that you really weren't sick.

I knew a girl who worked at Wal-Mart in the same area at the same time who got paid over $10 an hour. It was very hard to get jobs at Wal-Mart in this area because their jobs were so desirable. They paid some of the highest wages for non-skilled, inexperienced employees.

Also, although I know there are some mom-and-pop stores that sell only USA-made products, that is not the case for most. They buy their products from the same vendors/suppliers as any other business.

If you're talking about bigger corporations, the love that I really don't understand is that that many people have for Target. They have the same made-in-China items that Wal-Mart has, at a higher price. They actually pay their employees less. Since they're a little more trendy, though, they're loved by many.

I'm not saying I agree with everything that Wal-Mart does, but I think they get a lot of flak that they don't really deserve. I don't actually enjoy shopping in their stores very much (too big, too busy), but I do like their products and do shop in-store sometimes and online a lot. Their Better Homes and Gardens housewares/home decor line is fabulous...very modern and affordable, not too bad quality-wise for the price.

I'm also not ashamed to say that I buy clothing there. Wal-Mart is my absolute favorite place to buy basics. I wouldn't buy my running shoes there, but it's a great place to shop for flats and sandals. I buy all of my leggings there. Their camisoles are only $1.68 and come in tons of colors. Their T-shirts are cheap and great quality. Their Danskin line is perfect for working out. Their costume jewelry is cheap and cute and decent-quality...it does turn colors after a while like any fake jewelry, but it doesn't break easily or turn colors any more quickly than any other costume jewelry, and it's fine for pieces that you won't be wearing every day.

I have to say that their clothing is better quality than a lot of name brand stuff. I've noticed that a lot of the name brand stuff that I have bought for my husband and myself lately shrink badly in the wash, start to pill quickly and have problems with the threads coming loose. I swear a lot of the stuff I get from Wal-Mart is of a better quality, and even if it's not, I don't feel too bad about tossing out a $1.68 cami that gets worn out after a season.

Of course, there are great deals to be had on name brand items and items from higher end stores, but you have to shop the sales and hunt for deals. Consistently, Wal-Mart's pricing is lower on a lot of items, without having to do too much shopping around.

I do like shopping at Aldi for a lot of groceries instead, though.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:20 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
I proudly buy my made in the USA underwear at WalMart.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:20 PM

69,286 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
us too, pretty much.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The last time I went there for underwear, it was either the Dominican Republic or Honduras.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM

13,116 posts, read 9,205,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Savins Catcher by itself is not too involved, but the problem is it isn't catching like it used to. They must have changed the way it operates.

Used to it was great. Even on produce I'd get money back because places like Aldi's always have good sales.

The point of it is for their computer to do the work for you, compare to sales of other stores, and refund you when there is a difference. But it's crap now.

I hope they change it back. It was easy money and from their POV a good reason to shop there, knowing you're getting everyone's sales prices.

I should take in the sale circulars and make them do it by hand again - except that wouldn't affect corporate just be miserable for me and the poor cashier.
Corporate policy has ended price matching of competitors.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:41 PM

1,036 posts, read 546,469 times
Since we're discussing saving money at Walmart...has anybody noticed that they've begun taking down the shelf stickers which show the per oz. price? I use them all the time to figure out what brand I should buy. On only a few product I buy by brand name. All others I check the per oz price. Helps to know which size also. The biggest used to be the cheapest per oz price, but not so much any more.

Recently lots and lots of the per oz prices were gone. You who shop in other stores, is this happening everywhere? I'm not happy about this at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living